Thetford C2 cassette - manual flush not working.

Featured Posts

All the info I can find refers to toilets with an electric flush, mine is a manual flush. I have just refilled the flushing tank (with some of the pink stuff mixed in) but pumping the switch produces no flushing water. The toilet has been empty all winter so maybe the pump needs priming, or maybe something is broken. The spring under the pump is ok and pumping feels ok too but no water produced

Photo of the pump/switch below.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or I’m going to have to take a jug of water with me when I need to go?

IMG_7121.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Northener said:

All the info I can find refers to toilets with an electric flush, mine is a manual flush. I have just refilled the flushing tank (with some of the pink stuff mixed in) but pumping the switch produces no flushing water. The toilet has been empty all winter so maybe the pump needs priming, or maybe something is broken. The spring under the pump is ok and pumping feels ok too but no water produced

Photo of the pump/switch below.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or I’m going to have to take a jug of water with me when I need to go?

IMG_7121.jpeg

That's what I do with my 25 year old 365, About 1/4 pint in a cup does mine. I got fed up with fixing it.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

That's what I do with my 25 year old 365, About 1/4 pint in a cup does mine. I got fed up with fixing it.

So you have actually fixed it before? I’ve only had the boat a year and it worked perfectly till now. I might as well have at least one go at fixing it before I give in. 

Mine still works but I don't bother with it anymore. I got fed up with the black muck coming out of it, whether I put pink stuff in or not, so I started using an old washing up bottle to squirt water when and where it was needed. Seemed to me to be far more effective than the flush and it filled the cassette less quickly.

Has it ever worked?

I'm asking because ours looks like that but it is electric flush. When it stopped working it was because the fuse had blown. If I remember correctly it was a blade fuse and was hidden inside the unit.

I found it by searching through the hatch using a torch and mirror 

As per the post above, are you sure that's not the electric variant?

On my manual-flush C2, the location of your 'press' button has a clip-in blanking plug. Flush is by rotating the second, larger knob on the other side forcefully clockwise.

It doesn't always spring back all the way (feels like some component underneath is rotating that shouldn't be) so has to be turned anti-clockwise to its limit first.

IMG_20240411_223952.jpg

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies. After searching more I now think I do have an electric flush. I had assumed it was manual because of the spring under the flush button making it feel as though I was pumping water and the fact that the electric pump made no noise. 
I am not on the boat at the moment but will search around for a fuse when I return in a few days. 

The exploded diagram which I think I got from the Thetford website is a little confusing because it has been printed showing the toilet upside down. Depending on when your loo was manufactured you can see the fuse as item 64A or 64B. 

In our case I located the fuse only to discover it was OK. Tracing the wires back to our wash basin cabinet I discovered the boat builder had very helpfully fitted another inline fuse in a more convenient location. It was covered in verdigras. A quick clean up with emery paper and the loo is fully functional again. 

Good Luck

My apologies to all who have offered advice and all those who have wasted their time reading this thread. The toilet is indeed electric. 
Fuse appears ok so it’s either the pump or the switch. 

• Happy 1

Just now, Northener said:

My apologies to all who have offered advice and all those who have wasted their time reading this thread. The toilet is indeed electric. 
Fuse appears ok so it’s either the pump or the switch. 

Well at least now you are on the right track, time to get the meter out

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2024 at 16:57, Northener said:

No need for apologies, that's what the forum is for. You might not have discovered it was electric if you hadn't asked the question.

44 minutes ago, Northener said:

New pump from eBay solved the problem. Easy job (but be careful not to lose the single tiny screw which holds the pump in place). 

Glad you solved the problem.