Tanker Narrowboats.

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, fanshaft said:

In view of the law mentioned by Mac (of which I was unaware)  presumably the enclosed arrangement per Claytons and their larger brethren counted as tanks. It didn't stop Mattys from running with phosphorous waste in open holds! 

The Severn tankers were operated by a variety of companies  but the best known were Harkers and Bowker and King. 

In shipping, any enclosed space, regardless of shape, dedicated for the storage of liquids was designated as a tank.

So big oil tankers had both fore and aft, and transverse bulkheads to divide the below deck space into a number of tanks. 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sandpaper. the opposite of welded washers 

If you sandpapered all the rivet heads off, the model would fall to bits! 

Obviously...

7 hours ago, DandV said:

In shipping, any enclosed space, regardless of shape, dedicated for the storage of liquids was designated as a tank.

So big oil tankers had both fore and aft, and transverse bulkheads to divide the below deck space into a number of tanks. 

Thanks - that makes sense. 

Great photo Ian.  I don't think I have ever seen one that shows the actual tanks until now.

I assume they may have been travelling empty in this photo - they look too high out of the water to be carrying a meaningful load.

• 2 weeks later...

Turn off Bridge Street into Station Approach Road and there is a car park on your right.    Just past the entrance to the car park there is an unnamed road between the car park and a brick building.   Go down that road to the end, about 70m to the end and the two gates are on your left.   There are some chalet type houses in the yard behind the gates.    

I will take a snap next time I am in town.   

Walk down the canal towpath from the car park and you come to a bridgehole with no bridge!    Just before that narrowing you’ll see tar on the coping stones which is where the tar boats were pumped out.   A spill left in time ……

• Greenie 2