Housing benefit for mooring

Featured Posts

Hi all

I wonder if anyone has experience of this? I’m on UC and PIP presently a continuous cruiser. However a mooring has come up which I’m interested in, (health reasons etc)and have been advised to take mooring and apply for housing benefit retrospectively ! 
Wondered if anyone has made the enquiry to dwp prior to taking the mooring and what their response was ? 

Thanks in advance.

Yes - I assisted a boater with PIP and they got the full mooring cost, the boat licence cost and the insurance cost paid for.

Everything that could be related to a 'house'.

They would not pay for the BSS as it had no 'house' equivalent.

I think your outcome will depend on your location - rural councils seem to pay out better than urban ones.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Boatylife said:

Thankyou. Just to clarify should I inform dwp prior to taking the mooring as opposed to retrospectively ? 

You could ask citizens advice, they are online, but my feeling with these things is to claim ASAP,  after all you must advise them of change in circumstance. Run through in your mind what they need to know, and make sure you don't exclude yourself from a benefit by being brave!

2 hours ago, Boatylife said:

Hi all

I wonder if anyone has experience of this? I’m on UC and PIP presently a continuous cruiser. However a mooring has come up which I’m interested in, (health reasons etc)and have been advised to take mooring and apply for housing benefit retrospectively ! 
Wondered if anyone has made the enquiry to dwp prior to taking the mooring and what their response was ? 

Thanks in advance.

Best start point for detailed help is Citizens Advice - they have the best database of info anywhere. If not available in your area, try Waterways Chaplains - most of us can offer help, though if you are in my area (K&A) I'd direct you to CA (in Devizes at least). I have reason to believe that you should be OK but one snag to watch out for: at one time, even making an enquiry at DWP could reset existing benefits - so check with local advisor first, or do so 'for a friend'. There should be no question that the mooring and licence and insurance costs are allowable.

I am not sure about claiming retrospective costs - again check with CA, they will have chapter and verse. Already having the mooring should not invalidate the claim but you should take care not to get into a situation of being committed to a cost which, because of some quirk in the system (there are plenty!) you cannot afford it.

3 hours ago, Boatylife said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

I claimed Universal Credit housing element for a residential mooring and it was covered by the DwP.  This was when I ran out of money before being awarded another lump sum from the family money pot. All a bit awkward really. Being on benefits can be handy but a little infra dig ! 

The DwP did need a signed confirmation of my status from the mooring operator (CRT).

I am not sure if a non residential mooring would be covered but I have heard that it can be done. 

Go for it they will probably pay. 

• Greenie 1

Hi Mike 

thanks for this , yes that’s what I’m worried about . Have asked waterways chaplaincy and they said claim after getting mooring ! Obviously don’t want to commit unless I’m sure I’ll receive housing benefits to cover ! 
CAB is a good idea ! 

Is the mooring residential? 

I could see some potential issues if you are living on a mooring without pp for residential use but if it is residential then as long as it is not outrageously expensive and you are eligible then UC/DwP will pay. 

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You could ask citizens advice, they are online, but my feeling with these things is to claim ASAP,  after all you must advise them of change in circumstance. Run through in your mind what they need to know, and make sure you don't exclude yourself from a benefit by being brave!

Thanks LadyG !

Just now, magnetman said:

Is the mooring residential? 

I could see some potential issues if you are living on a mooring without pp for residential use but if it is residential then as long as it is not outrageously expensive and you are eligible then UC/DwP will pay. 

Hi magnetman,

no it’s not , however waterways chaplaincy said that’s no longer an issue , thanks for your input ! 

• Greenie 1

My mooring is a CRT owned residential in inner East London. Quite expensive (£1000 pcm) but the DwP did pay. I am leaving next Sunday !

(Just in case anyone wants to live on a Boat in an inner city urban canyon) 

;)

5 minutes ago, Boatylife said:

Thanks LadyG !

Hi magnetman,

no it’s not , however waterways chaplaincy said that’s no longer an issue , thanks for your input ! 

Yes the first time I heard of someone claiming what was then housing benefit for a towpath 'leisure mooring' was in around 2007. 

Edited by magnetman

7 minutes ago, Boatylife said:

Certainly when we applied (some years ago) if it is not a residential mooring then there is no payment (Nottinghamshire) 

It cannot be a 'house' equivalent if you are not legally alowed to live there.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Certainly when we applied (some years ago) if it is not a residential mooring then there is no payment (Nottinghamshire) 

I can see both sides of this argument,  if any boater can take any mooring stay there and then claim housing benefit,  it negates the premium which is presumably available for moorings with residential planning permission.

How would CRT view this, I just filled in a survey, where although I am cc, i also show a bricks and mortar address, its all very untested,  as in untested in a court of law.

I remember asking for unemployment benefit to be paid when I lived on my boat one summer, i don't remember the details,  but the DHS did visit me on the boat, by appointment. 

If the person is living there, and paying rent, is that not a domicile? 

I cant see it being different in different parts of the country.

Edited by LadyG

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I do not believe that to be the the official position now -not to say that some DWP staff may not be up to date. 

Residential planning status legitimises being in that place without ever moving from it. However, many recipients of housing related benefits are always on the move from one flat or sofa to another and DWP have to cope with this. Such clients may well be those in greater needs in any event.

Coping with the constraints of being on a non-res mooring are likely to be greater than getting DWP to pay. 

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I do not believe that to be the the official position now -not to say that some DWP staff may not be up to date. 

Residential planning status legitimises being in that place without ever moving from it. However, many recipients of housing related benefits are always on the move from one flat or sofa to another and DWP have to cope with this. Such clients may well be those in greater needs in any event.

Coping with the constraints of being on a non-res mooring are likely to be greater than getting DWP to pay. 

You mean having to leave the mooring occasionally?

Or the constra8nts of limited access to utilities?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

You mean having to leave the mooring occasionally?

Or the constra8nts of limited access to utilities?

Mostly the former but also issues over 'official' address. (Remember that, as some have found out to their dismay, using someone else's address can cause issues such as with car insurance)

IIRC you do not have to have any other (more permanent?) address to apply for benefits. Again, remember the context of many folk who apply. (BTW that is not a value judgement)

You see, I manage fine as cc, on my pension. But at some stage I may want to stop but live on the boat.

A rented property is £12K per annum, v oap at £10Kpa.

I could use a post office or a job centre as my address, I think that is a bizarre idea.

Edited by LadyG

On 26/03/2024 at 13:20, Boatylife said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

If you do Facebook can I suggest a group called benefits for boaters, it's run by a chap very active and knowledgeable in the benefit system, highly recommended 

On 26/03/2024 at 16:26, Boatylife said:

Hi Mike 

thanks for this , yes that’s what I’m worried about . Have asked waterways chaplaincy and they said claim after getting mooring ! Obviously don’t want to commit unless I’m sure I’ll receive housing benefits to cover ! 
CAB is a good idea ! 

I have done this for a number of people over the past few years. Getting to know the DWP system through being my Disable Nephews 'Court of Protection' appointed deputy.

The UC system is now setup to process claims for help with mooring fees and navagation licences up to the value of the  monthly Local Housing Allowance (LHA). It is paid one month in arrears, so you need to be able to cover the first month.

On the day your mooring agreement starts, You need to log in to your UC account 

Click Home

Click Report change of circumstances

Click Where you live and what it costs

Fill in the details of the mooring address and set the Housing situation to.

You live on a houseboat.

You pay rent to more than one person or organisation

You rent from private landlords

Your last question will be Do you wish to claim a council tax reduction? You may as well click yes as the council will be informed either way.

Once you completed everything and returned to the home screen, you can log out.

In a few days there will be a upload link in your  journal from the Service Centre. Asking for proof of your costs

Types of proof that they will accept:

letter from Mooring owner

Bank statement (as long as the address is showing, and showing payment)

Mooring agreement

Invoice for mooring fees or receipt of payment

Invoice for waterways licence or receipt of payment

Copy of Navagation Licence

Copy of mooring permit.

You may need a second upload link, so send a message in your journal requesting one or ask your work coach at your next appointment.

Your claim should be processed in three to four weeks.

• Greenie 3

5 hours ago, Boatylife said:

Just in terms of changing address a query . It is a leisure mooring , which water chaplaincy has said I can claim on , but obviously dont accept post .So do I actually change address? 

You do need to change the address to where the mooring is located, As they can visit. So you should add a message in your journal that the location has no postal service and if you have a postal address that can be used, Not that it should be a problem as UC is online based and very rarely sends anything via post.