Professional Boat Movers?

Liz E

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I was chatting to the landlady of my local, as she has stopped putting bands on as the cost was not recouped on the night or profitable, as people were not coming in to listen too them and the groupies the band brought just didn’t drink and often sat with a pint most of the night as they drove in just for the band. You can see why live music venues are struggling. Shame really.

I went out to eat in Birmingham and they added12.5% to the bill as an entertainment surcharge, It would have been nice to have known that before I booked the table 

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went out to eat in Birmingham and they added12.5% to the bill as an entertainment surcharge, It would have been nice to have known that before I booked the table 

Thats a bit norty !

It assumes that if you had a £50 meal you enjoyed the entertainment 5x more than if you had a £10 meal.

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Worse than that, we bought a round of drinks in the Dundas Arms at Kintbury after bell-ringing and the price of it seemed so steep so we queried it with the barman. We knew drinks in there are nosebleed prices but this time it seemed so insanely expensive we asked the barman for a breakdown of it. He got the till to print out a receipt, which on close inspection included an automatic 10% Service Charge!!!! 

Turned out that the till in there does this automatically on all bills of £30 or more, on the assumption that the bill must be for a meal in the restaurant. He explained this without even a hint of contrition and took it off as though doing us a favour.

The spectacular cheek of it has us wondering how many other times we've paid it without realising. 

3 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I was chatting to the landlady of my local, as she has stopped putting bands on as the cost was not recouped on the night or profitable, as people were not coming in to listen too them and the groupies the band brought just didn’t drink and often sat with a pint most of the night as they drove in just for the band. You can see why live music venues are struggling. Shame really.

Very true. Most have stopped round here, too. I packed in regular pub work when the pandemic shut down happened, and even then a lot of the time we were playing to half empty pubs apart from a few of the ones in a real Irish community. They just had a brewery entertainments fund which they had to spend. Now, it's open mic nights or sessions which don't cost the pub money.

And I must admit, if I go for a pint with a friend, I don't want to have to shout over a band playing stuff I don't particularly like. I never understood why landlords thought it brought people in - mostly in my opinion it does the opposite.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Worse than that, we bought a round of drinks in the Dundas Arms at Kintbury after bell-ringing and the price of it seemed so steep so we queried it with the barman. We knew drinks in there are nosebleed prices but this time it seemed so insanely expensive we asked the barman for a breakdown of it. He got the till to print out a receipt, which on close inspection included an automatic 10% Service Charge!!!! 

Turned out that the till in there does this automatically on all bills of £30 or more, on the assumption that the bill must be for a meal in the restaurant. He explained this without even a hint of contrition and took it off as though doing us a favour.

The spectacular cheek of it has us wondering how many other times we've paid it without realising. 

My lads brewery puts a 10 percent service charge on all the food bills. It is clearly stated on all menus and at the bar, its brewery policy so he has no say in the matter. I asked him last month when visting if it pissed people off and if many asked for it to be removed as it says they will on the  bill. He said no one asks and often leave cash tip as well, imagine that in a pub in Yorkshire lol ( He is daarn saaarff ) He doesnt mind as the brewery accountants have a system that work out who was working and tax is paid on it to keep HMRC happy and they get the rest monthly in their wages. In tips alone he gets a grand a month and more such as december and his missus the same. Pre these kind of systems HMRC lost out on moocho tax,

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My lads brewery puts a 10 percent service charge on all the food bills. It is clearly stated on all menus and at the bar, its brewery policy so he has no say in the matter. I asked him last month when visting if it pissed people off and if many asked for it to be removed as it says they will on the  bill. He said no one asks and often leave cash tip as well, imagine that in a pub in Yorkshire lol ( He is daarn saaarff ) He doesnt mind as the brewery accountants have a system that work out who was working and tax is paid on it to keep HMRC happy and they get the rest monthly in their wages. In tips alone he gets a grand a month and more such as december and his missus the same. Pre these kind of systems HMRC lost out on moocho tax,

Interesting. 

Dundas Arms is a free house, making most of their money from the posh restaraunt and rooms mostly patronised by the grouse-shooting, new Land Rover Defender-driving brigade. The pub bit feels like they have no interest in it and only keep it open as to close might contravene some regulation or other.

Large glass of Merlot for example, £8.50 last time I looked. Possibly gorn up since!

What does your lad charge for a large Merlot, out of interest? 

Edited by MtB

Thanks everyone foe your comments and suggestions. Whilst we have all been musing about who is best, and why on earth a new boater would not want to move a boat themselves my husband has found a husband and wife team who will move our boat for £120 a day, and have agreed to do long days so that we can meet them at the marina on a Sunday (got to keep to weekends because of work).

I'm not sure what you all think , but I'm very happy with this and looking forward to settling into boating life when we retire later this year.

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Liz E said:

Thanks everyone foe your comments and suggestions. Whilst we have all been musing about who is best, and why on earth a new boater would not want to move a boat themselves my husband has found a husband and wife team who will move our boat for £120 a day, and have agreed to do long days so that we can meet them at the marina on a Sunday (got to keep to weekends because of work).

I'm not sure what you all think , but I'm very happy with this and looking forward to settling into boating life when we retire later this year.

What I think is that you have to make sure they are covered by their insurance as professionsl boatmovers., else your boat could be uninsured. Read your own policy, before you contact your own insurance company.

There is a thread about this, somewhere.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Liz E said:

Your boat insurance will be invalidated if you are paying anyone to helm your boat (read the small print) You need to see evidence of professional boat movers insurance or it could be a costly trip if either your own boaT, or another boat is damaged.

See screenshot , clause 2:1:1 & 2:1:10:VI

Screenshot (2455).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Liz E said:

Thanks for pointing that out.

The boat mover has his own insurance, so i think were good to go.

Yes, it needs to be business insurance of course,  not just an insurance policy to cover him as a leisure boater. May not be expensive if he finds the right policy.. 

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, it needs to be business insurance of course,  not just an insurance policy to cover him as a leisure boater. May not be expensive if he finds the right policy.. 

And make sure you actually see his policy (online should be fine) to confirm this before handing the boat over 😉 

• Happy 1