Holland and Marinas

Featured Posts

Hello all, I’d be grateful of some of your collective wisdom. 

i’ve had a small 23 foot boats in Ireland for many years which I have now sold but I have always had a dream to do the canals of Holland Belgium and France,.  I have been looking at a number of boats which are reasonably priced in Holland but I am unsure about the cost of long-term marinas and I’m looking for some cost-effective options. 

Could anybody give me any indication of the typical costs per annum for a 10 meter cruiser (in Holland or Belgium) and if anyone has found any low costs gems hidden away, really appreciate it

thanks guys

Karl

A lot to be said for Belgium, reasonable mooring costs and inexpensive licence but to get to the North of Holland its a bit of a slog and some travelling across or along serious commercial waterways. ≥ Ligplaatsen - Marktplaats is a place to start, Marktplaats is a sort of e bay but has a section on 'Water sports' and thence to 'Ligplaats' i.e. lying place or moorings, I'm not sure what the rules and regs are for boats in Holland - its been a while since Bee was there but we did spend a winter in Utrecht and it must have been reasonable pricewise. Sorry can't remember the name of the place, its small but can lift out boats up to approc 10 Tons. Google will help.

5 hours ago, Bee said:

A lot to be said for Belgium, reasonable mooring costs and inexpensive licence but to get to the North of Holland its a bit of a slog and some travelling across or along serious commercial waterways. ≥ Ligplaatsen - Marktplaats is a place to start, Marktplaats is a sort of e bay but has a section on 'Water sports' and thence to 'Ligplaats' i.e. lying place or moorings, I'm not sure what the rules and regs are for boats in Holland - its been a while since Bee was there but we did spend a winter in Utrecht and it must have been reasonable pricewise. Sorry can't remember the name of the place, its small but can lift out boats up to approc 10 Tons. Google will help.

Yes, our favourite country, cheap licence although it was increasing by the time we left and some great moorings in many of the cities and out in the countryside. The south was cheaper than the north. Just make sure your boat is less than 20m or it's a no no because of the Es-Trin rules which now rigourously apply to pleasure as well as commercial inland waterways boats. And yes, I know your boat is only 10m but this could be a useful bit of advice for others thinking about escaping from the UK.

Edited by wandering snail

I go along with Belgium we brought and kept our barge near Antwerp for many years. The mooring was cheap as it was owned by the waterway authority although there are lots of boat clubs with moorings throughout the country, there is an organisation called something like VVV that the clubs belong to . The drawback to Flanders is the need for a license whereas Wallonia is free. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2024 at 23:58, wandering snail said:

I know your boat is only 10m but this could be a useful bit of advice for others thinking about escaping from the UK.

I had vague plans to escape the UK and take my boat to the continent, but the advice I need is how to stay in the EU for more than 3 months now we've all lost our citizenship.

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

I had vague plans to escape the UK and take my boat to the continent, but the advice I need is how to stay in the EU for more than 3 months now we've all lost our citizenship.

AFAIK, residency is now the only other way. 

21 hours ago, matty40s said:

Vote for a party that will reverse the corrupt idiocy that is Brexit, and hope the EU will actually have us back.

We would then belong to a corrupt Europe

You can get a visa that gives you up to approx 6 months and if you do as we do, spread your visits out a bit  you can get a couple of weeks extra as the days 'drop off' the early months and you can add them to the later months. It is not ideal and takes a lot of working out but due to the f*****g stupidity of brexit it is the best that we can manage.

• Greenie 1

On 01/04/2024 at 09:53, wandering snail said:

AFAIK, residency is now the only other way. 

It is possible to get a long term Visa but it’s quite complicated needing health insurance and a minimum income.

crossed with Bee.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content

Quite a few have managed to get residency in Portugal with yachts, but there is likely to be an income requirement. Only works if Portugal would suit you, but may be warmer than the Netherlands.

1 hour ago, Peanut said:

Only works if Portugal would suit you, but may be warmer than the Netherlands.

Doesn't have a lot of canals there though 😃

• Greenie 1