Restarting water system after winterising

Featured Posts

Hi all, I’m trying to get my NB water system back up and running after draining and turning off over winter. It’s a Jabsco high pressure pump, no accumulator. After refilling and switching the pump back on I get water in the bathroom, sink, shower and toilet but it just won’t come through to the galley taps. I can get them dripping slowly but the pump won’t cut in. I followed the manufacturer instructions on restarting to allow a bit of time (10 seconds they say) and then begin turning off taps starting with the closest. I have tried sucking on the tap, awkward though. Any advice gratefully received. 

We had an apparently identical question a few weeks ago and the symptoms made no sense then or now, but the original questioner posted the below, so that might give you a clue on where to start, but as I said neither pot made much sense.

Its fixed !!!  Many thanks to all who contributed.  Bled off screws on 3 expansion pipes ( hot  cold and C heater )  and screwed / unscrewed 2 gate valves alongside calorifier.   Guess they must have stuck or grit in them having run out of water.  Run engine and central heating and all working 

Thanks again.  

1 hour ago, Si7 said:

It’s a Jabsco high pressure pump, no accumulator.

This is not normal. Can you explain exactly what you have please? I.e. exact model of Jabsco? 

Or even better, post a photo of it please?

Presumably the galley is furthest from the pump? I'd leave it running with just one galley tap open and see if it clears. Maybe some muck has settled in the pipe. If it's a gas water heater, I wouldn't run that until the cold flows ok.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Just a thought, I wonder if non return valves have seized up while empty? who knows. I just turn mine on and water comes out, job done.

Especially if it is a spring one with a rubber seat, but I would have thought 30 psi ish would shift it.

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just a thought, I wonder if non return valves have seized up while empty? who knows. I just turn mine on and water comes out, job done.

But the other taps all work. Could it be the taps themselves, tap washer gone over winter? Were they left open?

Edited by Arthur Marshall

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

We had an apparently identical question a few weeks ago and the symptoms made no sense then or now, but the original questioner posted the below, so that might give you a clue on where to start, but as I said neither pot made much sense.

Its fixed !!!  Many thanks to all who contributed.  Bled off screws on 3 expansion pipes ( hot  cold and C heater )  and screwed / unscrewed 2 gate valves alongside calorifier.   Guess they must have stuck or grit in them having run out of water.  Run engine and central heating and all working 

Thanks again.  

Thanks, I'll look at this although I'm not sure it will be the same as I have everything working except one tap (hot and cold though).

I woulx turn the pump off, and let the pressure out at a working tap. Then remove the tap headworks as if changing the washer and turn the pump back on till water emerges. You may get quite a lot so be prepared. Then pump off and reassemble.

N

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But the other taps all work. Could it be the taps themselves, tap washer gone over winter? Were they left open?

Yes washers could be a problem, hadnt thought of that. Taps were left open over most of winter

2 hours ago, MtB said:

This is not normal. Can you explain exactly what you have please? I.e. exact model of Jabsco? 

It's this one (Jabsco 31620-0094 - Par Max 4' pressure-controlled pump / Pressurised Fresh Water Pumps / Pumps / Marine / Xylem JabscoShop - Jabsco & Rule Pumps and more - from the experts

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

I woulx turn the pump off, and let the pressure out at a working tap. Then remove the tap headworks as if changing the washer and turn the pump back on till water emerges. You may get quite a lot so be prepared. Then pump off and reassemble.

N

Thinking about it, I can't physically suck any water through (maybe I'm just too weak) so a blockage in the tap is possible

My money is on the galley tap innards being stuck, especially if it is a ceramic disc type. I usually had to dismantle and clean my galley tap every spring after it had not been usd for five or six months.

49 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

My money is on the galley tap innards being stuck, especially if it is a ceramic disc type. I usually had to dismantle and clean my galley tap every spring after it had not been usd for five or six months.

I agree. Even if it is a washer type tap, it has been known for the jumper to be assembled free or become free, so turning the tap does not lift the jumper.

4 hours ago, MtB said:

The Par Maxes are sold specifically with the tagline 'no need for an accumulator'. A friend has one on his boat and it's ridiculously loud compared to my Shurflo but seems to work well.

2 hours ago, F328GTS said:

Thanks. I was imagining an old solid brass Jabsco with the impeller inside that needs changing annually! 

But this one is just weird. Despite being labelled "High pressure" I suspect it isn't, and it's internal control system turns the motor off in response to it detecting the pressure rising, as it assumes a tap has been turned OFF. 

This means that if a washer sticks to a seat in a tap the pressure behind it won't rise high and pop it off like with a normal water pump. So I think dismantling the taps that don't work will probably reveal the cause.