None renewal of my mooring agreement

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

If a house landlord tries that dirty trick, the tenant can go to a rent tribunal and ask for a "fair rent" to be set. This is quite likely to apply to caravan site tenancies too.

Its never a great thing to be at war with one's landlord though. Personally I'd just leave for an easy life, but some people prefer to dig their heels in and not get trampled on. 

Me too. But if you want to live in the middle of Manchester on a boat, there probably aren't many options, and after so many years it can be a wrench to move elsewhere (so they tell me, anyway, personally I've always liked moving towns as often as possible - I do like variety and the sense of a new start).

Are there any other options in Manchester for a residential (official or unofficial) mooring?

• Greenie 1

Its all very odd. There is nothing a landlord likes better than a tenant who pays the rent in a timely manner without needing to be asked, who quietly gets on with their life without periodic complaints about this or that.

So I wonder what has prompted this eviction. I feel there is more to it that we know, which is a shame given how rare Mancester resi moorings are.

Curious that there is another thread running by a different poster looking for a resi mooring in the same area. 

21 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its all very odd. There is nothing a landlord likes better than a tenant who pays the rent in a timely manner without needing to be asked, who quietly gets on with their life without periodic complaints about this or that.

So I wonder what has prompted this eviction. I feel there is more to it that we know, which is a shame given how rare Mancester resi moorings are.

Curious that there is another thread running by a different poster looking for a resi mooring in the same area. 

I think we had a similar thread a few years ago complaining about how the marina was being managed, but not the declining to renew the mooring agreement. I remember at the time thinking that the poster was likely to get kicked out.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

It looks like a serious case of gentrification to me. The whole area has gone upmarket over the last few years and they probably only want millionaire type residents, especially as they're advertising as a "boutique" marina, whatever that means. If they've got planning permission for thirty residential boats, they're going to charge a small fortune, and simply don't want a self-renovated historic boat on the site in case it puts posh people off.

There were lots of folk complaining about the gentrification of the canals on here a while ago and its effect on the less rich fraternity. The OP has said they've already got rid of two other long standing residents, so that's what it looks like to me. It aint fair, but it's legal.

Happens on land, too.

As you can see everyone is just going to theorise and guess and give their opinion but the only thing you can do that has any bearing whatsoever is to take the agreement you have for your mooring to a solicitor and pay them to read and confirm your position. 

Not clear what you’ve done already as you say you’ve had loads of legal advice but no solicitor will touch it????  So who have you had the legal advice from?  If it’s a load of opinions on a forum then it’s worthless I’m afraid. 

If you have an agreement and it has a notice period from the marina owner, and I’d be amazed if it didn’t, then likely you need to start packing and not spend your money fighting a case you won’t win. 

But the first step is a visit and payment to a solicitor to ask them to advise.  

• Greenie 3

34 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It looks like a serious case of gentrification to me. The whole area has gone upmarket over the last few years and they probably only want millionaire type residents, especially as they're advertising as a "boutique" marina, whatever that means. If they've got planning permission for thirty residential boats, they're going to charge a small fortune, and simply don't want a self-renovated historic boat on the site in case it puts posh people off.

There were lots of folk complaining about the gentrification of the canals on here a while ago and its effect on the less rich fraternity. The OP has said they've already got rid of two other long standing residents, so that's what it looks like to me. It aint fair, but it's legal.

Happens on land, too.

But New Islington Marina only exists because of gentrification. The old canal arms in this area had long been infilled, and what is now the marina was dug out as part of a big redevelopment that saw the whole area rebuilt with new housing and apartment blocks. Given its proximity to central Manchester, the demographic of the new occupants was a given from the start.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

But New Islington Marina only exists because of gentrification. The old canal arms in this area had long been infilled, and what is now the marina was dug out as part of a big redevelopment that saw the whole area rebuilt with new housing and apartment blocks. Given its proximity to central Manchester, the demographic of the new occupants was a given from the start.

The OP says he's been there 14 years. His boat was towed there and he's refurbushed it there, so it can't have been that posh at the time. The new owners took over four or five years ago and they are the ones turning it into a "boutique". I presume before that it was just your bog standard marina. It's the new owners taking it upmarket.

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There were lots of folk complaining about the gentrification of the canals on here a while ago and its effect on the less rich fraternity. 

But let's not forget what you wrote only a few days ago

image.png.f083c2702a2afd3cb4164139944c75e6.png

Edited by Momac

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So what? If you're going to comment, please try and make sense.

You refer to complaints of the forum  of gentrification 

But according to your post on another topic  its just discussion. Its not real.

31 minutes ago, Momac said:

You refer to complaints of the forum  of gentrification 

But according to your post on another topic  its just discussion. Its not real.

With, obviously, the utmost respect, you aren't adding much to the discussion, are you? Just being an unhelpful prat trying to start a row. I think the OP has enough on his plate without such foolishness. Please feel free to post further irrelevances on the understanding that they'll be treated as they deserve and ignored. Cheers.

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes there is. One who does the same but at 3 times the price.  Unfortunate for the OP but if the area has changed and become more affluent / desirable then the market rate changes. There are plenty of good landlords but they’re not charities, particularly if they have invested in the asset to make it more desirable. It has to pay a return to justify it same as anything else.  Tough if you’re caught up in it, but it’s just business. 

The standard New Islington Marina licence agreement is here: https://www.waterwayleisure.com/terms-and-conditions.

All the usual things to potentially fall foul of, e.g.: failure to provide a residential address if on a Leisure mooring, insufficient insurance, boat not in good repair or good decorative condition, no rubbish on the pontoons, being a nuisance or annoyance, etc.  (Not saying the OP wasn't complying with all or any of these, just that there could be plenty of reasons for Waterpride not to renew)

Just now, Cheese said:

The standard New Islington Marina licence agreement is here: https://www.waterwayleisure.com/terms-and-conditions.

All the usual things to potentially fall foul of, e.g.: failure to provide a residential address if on a Leisure mooring, insufficient insurance, boat not in good repair or good decorative condition, no rubbish on the pontoons, being a nuisance or annoyance, etc.  (Not saying the OP wasn't complying with all or any of these, just that there could be plenty of reasons for Waterpride not to renew)

Sounds like pretty standard stuff and with respect to the OP ‘nuisance’ will be deliberately vague, and boats in good repair entirely open to interpretation.  I’d save my money, pack up and leave personally.