New boat to me

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

For that price you could say it turns on a Sovereign, not a sixpence!

I believe "bag of sand" is the accepted rhyming slang... 😉 

Still cheaper and quieter (and more reliable?) than a stern thruster though... 🙂 

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

You could always fit a Schilling rudder... 😉 

I actually thought about that, but in reality it's just the instability in a straight line that's the issue. Its well documented for the boat that they set them up for low drag speed

31 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I actually thought about that, but in reality it's just the instability in a straight line that's the issue. Its well documented for the boat that they set them up for low drag speed

Like planes (or even cars...), boats have the issue that there's a design tradeoff between lateral stability and drag, especially with relatively short light boats like this one -- but also more stability means slower to respond when manoeuvring. As you say, this usually gets better the faster you go, which is of course not an option on the canals... 😉 

54 minutes ago, IanD said:

Like planes (or even cars...), boats have the issue that there's a design tradeoff between lateral stability and drag, especially with relatively short light boats like this one -- but also more stability means slower to respond when manoeuvring. As you say, this usually gets better the faster you go, which is of course not an option on the canals... 😉 

True, I went flat out down a section that is piled both sides, it goes straight as a die, 1200 rpm which 4mph it wanders 6 mph it diesnt, so bigger rudder it is to sort it out. It has a 1 meter draft with a keel but they dont help at low speeds