Llangollen or south down the Shroppie?

nealeST

Featured Posts

On 22/02/2024 at 14:48, IanD said:

Just don't assume the locks at Grindley will be quick, we've had to wait between 1h and 3h to get through... 😞

Crikey! I'm glad we've just been on the Llangollen over winter. I went down Grindley yesterday and only met one other boat coming the other way after the staircase. I think that was only one of two boats in the whole cruise from Whitchurch to Swanley Bridge too, I was surprised given that it was a gloriously sunny Saturday.

2 hours ago, nealeST said:

Thanks Alec, June 24 is longest day of the year…give or take….won’t  be dark until after 10! Suits us. My eldest son very capable as well. Now we are spoilt for choice!

To be honest if you've never done the Llangollen, I think your only choice is to head to Llangollen now you're starting in Wrenbury..it's just so lovely. It'll still probably mean 10hr cruising days, but it's worth it.

10 hours ago, booke23 said:

To be honest if you've never done the Llangollen, I think your only choice is to head to Llangollen now you're starting in Wrenbury..it's just so lovely. It'll still probably mean 10hr cruising days, but it's worth it.

A question for @nealeST -- all these problems are because you're trying to do in 4 days (well. 3.5...) what could be done much more easily and pleasantly in a week (well, 6.5 days) -- so why not hire the boat for a week? 🙂

Money..time. Etc. wife’s job…in Sweden…other commitments…when we can fly… think we’re going to Chester anyway from Wrenbury and that’s not pushing it. Agreed though, down to me I’d take stacks of time…desperately wanting my own boat! 

7 minutes ago, nealeST said:

Money..time. Etc. wife’s job…in Sweden…other commitments…when we can fly… think we’re going to Chester anyway from Wrenbury and that’s not pushing it. Agreed though, down to me I’d take stacks of time…desperately wanting my own boat! 

You could easily get all the way to the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port in that time (but probably not stopping overnight) if you wanted to... 😉

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, nealeST said:

I’ve still got a family ticket valid for a return to the museum from last summer. It’s a clincher!🙃

Canalplan says it's about a 30 hour round trip from Wrenbury to Ellesmere, with long summer days this should give you some time at the museum -- you might need to plan stops carefully though... 😉

2 hours ago, nealeST said:

I’ve still got a family ticket valid for a return to the museum from last summer. It’s a clincher!🙃

So you could just go back to plan A and hire from Nantwich? That would give you more time to explore. 

No because now I can say I’ve done the Hurleston flight….😜 This has been an interesting process. At the outset I was casually thinking go south to Audlem and beyond…but going north is better…in this instance.

On 25/02/2024 at 11:49, Hudds Lad said:

It's certainly sedate crawling past the Golden Nook moorings for 40mins or so :D 

40 minutes?! SLOW DOWN! :P

1 hour ago, nealeST said:

No because now I can say I’ve done the Hurleston flight….😜 This has been an interesting process. At the outset I was casually thinking go south to Audlem and beyond…but going north is better…in this instance.

What stops you doing Hurleston on a Nantwich to Ellesmere Port trip?  Turn left ...

18 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

What stops you doing Hurleston on a Nantwich to Ellesmere Port trip?  Turn left ...

Yeah, well if it was just me I’d swing left for the jolly. However, I’m not alone and considering a significant other I could end up with Mutiny on the Bounty. 

7 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

40 minutes?! SLOW DOWN

Yes I hear about the miles of boats tethered along that stretch…2mph….

19 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

40 minutes?! SLOW DOWN! :P

Its 12 locks and a few miles, you can't really turn until Swanley Bridge Marina so that means you'd need to do Swanley No.1 and No.2, then all of those 6 on the way back. There's nothing special in itself about Hurleston locks to justify the detour but if you needed the services of the marina, might make the trip worthwhile.

I’ve become slightly fixated. The evening I passed by the turning for the Llangollen on my way south it was truly sublime. About 8pm on a beautiful late June evening. Church bells were ringing in the distance as we drew round the reservoir. The Hurleston locks looked so picturesque I’ve not been able to loose the image and the pang of regret for not heading that way. What is it about canal junctions? I’d love the freedom to change plans on the spur of the moment. One day.😊

Everyone has their preferred cruising pattern (I usually do 10+hr days and 12hrs is still enjoyable). 8hrs/day as per your crew's preference the route up to Ellesmere Port is a good one. If you find yourself with a bit of spare time at the latter stages then you could head a bit further south before returning up the Llangollen, perhaps to the pub at Barbridge (food through an extended lunchtime/afternoon and into the evening).

For my own interest I ran the route to the end of the feeder through CanalPlan. It is certainly possible - you would clear Grindley Brook in the evening of the first day which would make it quiet. If you did 6hrs the first day and 2hrs on the final morning then the rest of the trip would be 10hrs/day. The mooring locations could be jiggled to fit somewhere sensible, but you would not stop at Llangollen itself, or Ellesmere for the White Swan.

One plus to doing what you are planning is that if you hire again from Wrenbury you can go the other way and complete the Llangollen. If you can find a way to add an extra day then it would be relaxed at your preferred cruising day length, get you more choice over moorings and certainly allow you the minor side trips up the Ellesmere arm (Tesco is right by the canal at the end which is handy) and the Prees arm. If you are tied to the same length of trip then it is still a reasonable option if you are happy with the longer cruising days. Picture is the end of the Ellesmere arm.

Alec

IMG_0334.jpg