Lithium Battery fire

GUMPY

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The expert will be along shortly to explain it is the "wrong sort of battery" and couldn't happen on a boat.

It could if you had that type of battery 🤔

Easily done if you don't know what you are buying.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The expert will be along shortly to explain it is the "wrong sort of battery" and couldn't happen on a boat.

After he's googled all about them. 🙃

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, GUMPY said:

What happens if you leave a lithium polymer battery on charge.

Curious. I've never heard of a "lithium polymer" battery. 

I'm off for a Goggle! 

Ok back now. Looks like they are a new(ish) type of mobile phone battery:

"Lithium-polymer technology again uses a positive and negative electrode but with a dry solid, porous chemical, or gel-like electrolyte, rather than a liquid. As a result, polymer batteries can offer a lower profile, flexible, and more robust designs. They also have a lower chance of leaking electrolytes resulting in thermal runaway. In a nutshell, they’re a fair bit safer. However, they aren’t completely immune from issues arising from being punctured, stressed, or overheated."

https://www.androidauthority.com/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-whats-the-difference-27608/

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

Curious. I've never heard of a "lithium polymer" battery. 

I'm off for a Goggle! 

Ok back now. Looks like they are a new(ish) type of mobile phone battery:

"Lithium-polymer technology again uses a positive and negative electrode but with a dry solid, porous chemical, or gel-like electrolyte, rather than a liquid. As a result, polymer batteries can offer a lower profile, flexible, and more robust designs. They also have a lower chance of leaking electrolytes resulting in thermal runaway. In a nutshell, they’re a fair bit safer. However, they aren’t completely immune from issues arising from being punctured, stressed, or overheated."

https://www.androidauthority.com/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-whats-the-difference-27608/

They've been around for quite a long time. Often referred to as LiPo. Used in most or all mobile phones, model flying things etc. Fairly unstable compared to LiFePO4 but not as bad as the cobalt ones.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

They've been around for quite a long time. Often referred to as LiPo. Used in most or all mobile phones, model flying things etc. Fairly unstable compared to LiFePO4 but not as bad as the cobalt ones.

The owner builds drones hence him having the battery and admitted his mistake 😱

LiPo batteries well known for catching fire especially if overcharged. I fly them in radio controlled model planes where they get a hard life. They get charged at 1C but discharged at 10-20C. i have some 6.2Ah packs that have to deliver 105A peak current, although the whole flight is not st this, cruise may be at only 50A. They are prone to degradation from the heavy discharge rates affecting the cell structure as well as vibration during flight if your propellor is out of balance as well as shock loading during poor landings. These often hidden faults only come to light when charged. There are many cases of people charging these indoors and burning their house. This goes back to the Haven Knox Johnston webinar some time back where the consensus was the LiFePO4 used on boats were pretty safe but most lithium related boat fires were from "toys", stuff like ebikes, scooters, drones etc.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not The Expert but, yes, it's the "wrong sort of battery" if we're talking about the main battery bank.

Those are almost universally LFP if 'lithium', and no-one is mad enough to sell LiPo packs usable for the purpose without significant DIY.(*)

It could happen - and has happened - on a boat if charging some of the general consumer stuff that uses LiPo packs on board - phone power banks, scooters, drones, e-bikes, power tools and the like.

Jump starting packs might be the closest thing to boat equipment.

(*) I did see a shiny motor yacht fire blamed on a LiPo battery bank, but that was a £0000 custom job. There's nothing on the narrowboat-range market.

Edited by Francis Herne

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yep, it's beginning to look as though the guy in the burning caravan was charging his dangerously unstable model aircraft battery.

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1