Beat licence price hikes for three years!

Adam

Featured Posts

I note from light enjoyable reading of the 1971 BW act... the attached clause  for river licences / pleasure boat certificates.

It isn't a option on CRT's online licencing portal to licence for 3 years, but from a flick through subsequent acts i can't see this section amended / repealed. It could be quite the loophole for missing 3 years worth of increases if you get in there before April?

Screenshot 2024-01-31 171816.png

• Greenie 1

Interesting, if I pay 3 years on 1st July, not only do I pay 3x this current year, but I get 3 1/2 years licence and save on increases from July 2024, through 25 and 26 and 27 through to Dec 2027. 

I expect CRT would decline, as they seem able to decide who can have what licences.

• Greenie 1

There is a thread here, several years old where a boater mentions buying a three year licence. Lots of people queried that but it turned out CRT will sell you one if you make a nuisance of yourself over it. 

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

There is a thread here, several years old where a boater mentions buying a three year licence. Lots of people queried that but it turned out CRT will sell you one if you make a nuisance of yourself over it. 

Interesting, I thought that might be the case - as aside I note a river licence is transferable unlike it's canal counterpart.

Could you point me to the thread - I already had a search prior to this thread 

I'm not sure if I will stay for three years,  that is the problem.

Licence is non transferable, not sure about refunding.

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Don't forget the fact that you, at present rates, can get  over 5% interest per annum tax free on the capital if you don't pay in advance. 

Against price rises of 13%,

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure if I will stay for three years,  that is the problem.

Licence is non transferable, not sure about refunding.

The licence should be transferable as per the 1971 act, again unless it's been amended/ repealed. I'm sure iv seen this stated somewhere else too? The canal and river licences aren't transferable (but arguably the river part should be?)

41 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Would only apply to a Pleasure Boat Certificate,... a Rivers Only Licence.

Yes, the Commons Second Reading debate (19 March 1970 in Hansard) is informative, as to what the act was trying to achieve See Here

The Minister (7.45pm)  mentions that "The Transport Act, 1962, empowers the board to make charges ... subject to such terms and conditions at it thinks fit. ... the board operates a licensing scheme for pleasure craft on its artificial waterways. On the river waterways, in the absence of such a scheme, the board finds it impracticable to charge ... unless such owners or users navigate their craft through locks controlled by the board. Boat owners using only the considerable stretches of river between the locks may do so without making any payment ....

4 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Don't forget the fact that you, at present rates, can get  over 5% interest per annum tax free on the capital if you don't pay in advance. 

Got a link please?

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Got a link please?

Nationwide Building society best savings accounts.

Plus the prize money to change your account  for £200;  is an offer that is finishing with many banks now 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Got a link please?

If you have no other savings then this

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/member/product/savings/limited_access/triple-access-saver-online-2.html

You get first £1000 interest free.

If you have more than £1000 interest a year coming in already then this

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/member/product/savings/cash_isa/four-access-isa-online.html

Provided of course you don't already have an isa in this tax year

• Greenie 1

On 31/01/2024 at 19:18, Adam said:

......as aside I note a river licence is transferable unlike it's canal counterpart.

That's news to me. I would be interested to see where that information comes from.

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

Yes, the Commons Second Reading debate (19 March 1970 in Hansard) is informative, as to what the act was trying to achieve See Here

The Minister (7.45pm)  mentions that "The Transport Act, 1962, empowers the board to make charges ... subject to such terms and conditions at it thinks fit. ... the board operates a licensing scheme for pleasure craft on its artificial waterways. On the river waterways, in the absence of such a scheme, the board finds it impracticable to charge ... unless such owners or users navigate their craft through locks controlled by the board. Boat owners using only the considerable stretches of river between the locks may do so without making any payment ....

That does open the question what is the case on a river navigation not scheduled In the act and requires a canal licence to cruise, the 3 that come to mind are the Don, Aire & Calder if you were only to boat between the locks on the river sections ?

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's news to me. I would be interested to see where that information comes from.

Have they failed to transfer it for you before?

Screenshot_20240201-193242.png

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Have they failed to transfer it for you before?

No

Must admit I had understood a new owner had to start with a new license.

But it has not caused me any loss.