water turned off

kookie

Featured Posts

Is it common practice for BW marinas to turn of the water to the jetties for the winter?

We came home from work tonight to find a note on the gate saying this. They have put a stand pipe tap thingy at the entrance to the jetty, but we are right at the end, I'm not sure how long the jetty is, but it's long enough. We have to fill up here or out on the cut. Its dark when we go to work, and dark when we get home, so filling up on the cut is a no no. The thing is, with having 5 dogs, and yes, I know that our problem, i am continually washing their feet, rinsing them off, etc. We get through a huge amount of dog bedding, which I am not allowed to wash in the laundry, so my washer is going several times a week. We were filling our water tank every other day or so, and our water tank, for whatever reason, airlocks a lot, and we have to fill slowly, so it takes several hours. The other people on the jetty are going to love waiting for us, assuming we can stash a hose somewhere on the boat that is long enough (more expense)

We werent made aware of this when we signed the mooring agreement, and while I can understand that they don't want pipes and joints popping, wouldnt it be better for them to insulate them adequately so they aren't likely to freeze.

I don't relish the thought of using the marina showers, the laundry, and running out of water.

I have a shed load of washing to do this weekend, and people are supposed to be staying with us over Christmas. Theyre going to have a nice stay, dont have a shower, dont flush to loo...

I'm sorry, rant over. Is it worth me talking to the marina manager, or is it just a part of living on a boat in a marina?

Was in a BWML marina for a couple of years, they never turned the water off to the pontoons, but then again it never got cold enough... But if you are on a residential mooring you are paying for the privilage for a water supply on your pontoon/jetty, I would give the manager some grief if it was me!

I'm on the end of the pontoons in my marina about 100 yards from where the main pipe comes across. We have waterpoints at each bollard and we've never had BW turn off our water.

If they can prevent pipes from freezing on land then why not in a marina?

Edited by blackrose

Was in a BWML marina for a couple of years, they never turned the water off to the pontoons, but then again it never got cold enough... But if you are on a residential mooring you are paying for the privilage for a water supply on your pontoon/jetty, I would give the manager some grief if it was me!

But is it a residntial mooring? I would have thought it sensible to turn off the water to stop the pipe freezing. You can't bury the pipes to moorings. Boats aren't houses and you have no rights.

sueNn

Is it common practice for BW marinas to turn of the water to the jetties for the winter?

We came home from work tonight to find a note on the gate saying this. They have put a stand pipe tap thingy at the entrance to the jetty, but we are right at the end, I'm not sure how long the jetty is, but it's long enough. We have to fill up here or out on the cut. Its dark when we go to work, and dark when we get home, so filling up on the cut is a no no. The thing is, with having 5 dogs, and yes, I know that our problem, i am continually washing their feet, rinsing them off, etc. We get through a huge amount of dog bedding, which I am not allowed to wash in the laundry, so my washer is going several times a week. We were filling our water tank every other day or so, and our water tank, for whatever reason, airlocks a lot, and we have to fill slowly, so it takes several hours. The other people on the jetty are going to love waiting for us, assuming we can stash a hose somewhere on the boat that is long enough (more expense)

We werent made aware of this when we signed the mooring agreement, and while I can understand that they don't want pipes and joints popping, wouldnt it be better for them to insulate them adequately so they aren't likely to freeze.

I don't relish the thought of using the marina showers, the laundry, and running out of water.

I have a shed load of washing to do this weekend, and people are supposed to be staying with us over Christmas. Theyre going to have a nice stay, dont have a shower, dont flush to loo...

I'm sorry, rant over. Is it worth me talking to the marina manager, or is it just a part of living on a boat in a marina?

Marinas do vary but it is common practice in soem marinas - especially coastal ones - to turn the water off to prevent pipe bursts. I would have thought a chat with the marina manager might solve the problem, even if it's only putting the water back on for an hour or so each day.

Howard Anguish

Marinas do vary but it is common practice in soem marinas - especially coastal ones - to turn the water off to prevent pipe bursts. I would have thought a chat with the marina manager might solve the problem, even if it's only putting the water back on for an hour or so each day.

Howard Anguish

Agreed, but they would have to drain off the pipe from the main valve to the taps every day, otherwise it will still freeze when not being used continuously.

Insulation only slows the freezing down, it will never prevent it - unless you leave the tap running 24/7 :help:

hmnn. Its going to be like water rationing, with all the people on the pier queing up at the stand pipe.

What a nightmare, not only struggle to get all of your washing dry, but worry about washing it in the first place.

While I understand why they may have done it, a bit of forwarning wold have been nice, just to ensure that we all have hosepipes long enough. And perhaps 2 taps would be better than one. Bet they don't discount our mooring fees though :help:

I can just see it, first thing in the morning.. want a cuppa dear, not sure how much water we have on board, have a beer instead. There is a queue at the tap, we have to get ready to go to work, go to the shower block for a wash, there is stilla queue at the tap. Go to work, come home ready to fill up, look, a queue at the tap. Its just ridiculous.

hmnn. Its going to be like water rationing, with all the people on the pier queing up at the stand pipe.

What a nightmare, not only struggle to get all of your washing dry, but worry about washing it in the first place.

While I understand why they may have done it, a bit of forwarning wold have been nice, just to ensure that we all have hosepipes long enough. And perhaps 2 taps would be better than one. Bet they don't discount our mooring fees though :cheers:

I can just see it, first thing in the morning.. want a cuppa dear, not sure how much water we have on board, have a beer instead. There is a queue at the tap, we have to get ready to go to work, go to the shower block for a wash, there is stilla queue at the tap. Go to work, come home ready to fill up, look, a queue at the tap. Its just ridiculous.

good lord, how often do you guys need to fill your tanks? maybe you don't have a tank, and rely on mains pressure :help:

why is it such an issue?

good lord, how often do you guys need to fill your tanks? maybe you don't have a tank, and rely on mains pressure :help:

why is it such an issue?

We have been filling up every other day. For some reason, it all airlocks if we dont. My washer is on several times through the week, and we are constantly rinsing the dogs off in the shower or from the tap on the bollard. We both shower usually twice a day. It is an issue for me.

We have been filling up every other day. For some reason, it all airlocks if we dont. My washer is on several times through the week, and we are constantly rinsing the dogs off in the shower or from the tap on the bollard. We both shower usually twice a day. It is an issue for me.

Welcome to the world of boating. I take it this is your first winter. What happens when you go cruising? If you don't intend leaving the marina may I suggest you have made the wrong choice. How about a flat or park home.

I have my reasons for living on a boat, and I am quite happy living on my boat with my 5 dogs, I'm not bothered about all the trappings of a house, my question was whether it was common practice to turn off water to the bollards 'for the winter'. Now and again wouldnt have bothered me, but all winter was, to honest, a bit of a surprise.

When we go cruising, that is a different matter, but while on the marina, over Christmas, I would have liked a water supply to my bollard. We were given no prior warning, I have been told it didnt happen last year.

when I lived in a marina I heard stories of the pipes freezing up. Chances are that the pipes would be frozen anyway. Speak to the marina maneger and see whether he can put the water on for you at particular times of day so you can fill your tank?

As for people coming over, that is just how boating works; sometimes we make plans and it just doesn't work out. I had to cancel a friend visiting the other week because I didn't have time to empty the loo and fill up with water because I was really busy at work and didn't get home in daylight to move the boat. As it happens she came anyway and told my neighbour she was staying on his boat! :help:

freezing water pipes aren't uncommon. Earlier this week Maffi had to defrost some pipes to get water out. Had he not been able to, he would have been in dire straits, but as with all things boating you just laugh and live with it.

You may also find that the water to the marina showers is protected so you could use those?

Edit: if they have turned the water off for hte whole of winter, check your contract and see what it is they say they supply you with, and then talk to the manager. A reasonable chat may help.

Edited by Bones

As a matter of interest, what is the capacity of your water tank? You do seem to be using an excessive amount of water, not withstanding the frequent dog washing and use of the washing machine (which are heavy users os water). I see from a previous posting you made in November you have also had a problem with your loo holding tank macerator and the tank filling quickly.

Could it be that you still need to adapt to living on board - we all need to be much more frugal about things like water usage, lights etc. For example, I have had visitors on board, unused to boat toilets, who try to fluch our Sealand toilet by leaving the valve open to give a constant flow. This, of course, fills the tank in no time. Similarly, the frequent use of an automatic washing machine will go through water very quickly. Does Sawley not have a laundry roo you could use?

Howard Anguish

I have my reasons for living on a boat, and I am quite happy living on my boat with my 5 dogs, I'm not bothered about all the trappings of a house, my question was whether it was common practice to turn off water to the bollards 'for the winter'. Now and again wouldnt have bothered me, but all winter was, to honest, a bit of a surprise.

When we go cruising, that is a different matter, but while on the marina, over Christmas, I would have liked a water supply to my bollard. We were given no prior warning, I have been told it didnt happen last year.

Why tell us

tell the Marina

I personally have never turned the water off with it being in modern plastic it can withstand a fair amount of freezing. We have had no problems in 10 years and the pipes are in conduit arround the waters edge and then on posts.

I suggest you get a water can of the Buckby type and put on the cabin step at night to stop it freezing

Edited by bargeeboy

Have to agree with Sue here. If you want all the trappings of a house, why are you living on a boat? FIVE dogs?

A boat round my way had the RSPCA remove a number of dogs from a narrowboat as it felt there were too many on board and that the conditions weren't good for the dogs. The man concerned is now limited to a maximum of two dogs but only has one at the moment. Personally one dog or two cats is enough for me. Also I would worry in the summer about a dog left on board if the boat is in the sun as it can get very very hot, just like a car. D

Ahh, thanks for that. I'm not sure where it is, but I'm off to check it out now.

If your water tank is in the bow, it's commonly a thin metal tube sticking up in one corner (to give it a degree of protection) with a cap on it which has holes underneath to allow air to enter the tank on using water and for air to leave the tank on filling.

You may not notice any issue on using water if the vent is only partially blocked as the water flow into the tank may be 3 times greater than that at which it is pumped out of the taps.

Chris

What has that to do with me? That is quite personal. My dogs are not left on a boat all day or a car. They come to work with me, though I dont know why on eath I am justifying keeping 5 dogs to you. 2 of them may not even be alive today if they werent with me. They are well looked after, happy and not kept in usuitable conditions. All I asked was is it common practice for BW to turn of the water to the jetties.

If your water tank is in the bow, it's commonly a thin metal tube sticking up in one corner (to give it a degree of protection) with a cap on it which has holes underneath to allow air to enter the tank on using water and for air to leave the tank on filling.

You may not notice any issue on using water if the vent is only partially blocked as the water flow into the tank may be 3 times greater than that at which it is pumped out of the taps.

Chris

Thank you