KELPIE and Christmas

haggis

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

now I’m on the wrong train!!!

don’t stop at Rugely, goes to Crew ffs. 
aaarrghh

And we worry about our rubbish train system in Scotland. At least we don't have that many lines for our trains to be able to go on different routes

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

been travelling since 10am on train from the south coast and I don’t remember ever seeing so much flooding across the country, all fields seem to have at least some partial flooding. 
Trains cancelled and delayed at Euston, then cancelled again at Northampton. 
after catching an alternative train from Euston because of cancellation, we were all chucked off at Northampton. Catch train back to Milton Keynes, to get another to Sunny Rugely. 

I just want a pint!

Whats the beer like at that home brew pub in Rugeley?

The Vine Inn.

If you are still in Crewe I can recommend the Borough Arms.

21 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

The Vine Inn.

Ooh, must confess I’ve never been there,

long story short I got off at Stafford, quick pint of Stella in the Lamb, then bus to Gt Haywood. 
Proper flooded under railway bridge. 
Having a Bass now in the Clifford Arms then hopefully off to a dry boat and not a flooded boat. 

17 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

The Vine Inn.

My first pint after the 2020 lockdown was Vanilla Porter in the Vine.  Well worth the wait, I would rate that pint 9/10

We got to Audlem! Started raining again just after we set off and it didn't stop till the top of Audlem and we had intermittent showers after that. Moored in the Shroppie pound in a sea of mud. Plan was to go to the butcher and Co-op but the butcher shuts in a few minutes so that is tomorrow morning s job.

Audlem used to be one of my favourite flights but not so sure now. With the bywashes and weirs running strong there was no slack water to hold the boat in between locks. The skipper could have managed I am sure but I struggled. Glad to be moored up 

• Greenie 2

What a difference! No rain and the sun shone. It was so good we even had to queue at a couple of locks.

Highlight of my day was being within  3 feet of a kingfisher which was sitting on a branch overhanging the canal as we cruised past. He didn't move, just say there looking for his next meal. Having only seen kingfishers in the distance before, I didn't realise how big they are. 

With all the mud at Audlem it was hard to tell what colour the floor was so I became all domesticated and hoovered then washed it. 

Thought of mooring at Barbridge but the pub moorings were full ( again) of the boats which have been there for years so we pressed on to moor in a clean bit overlooking the Weaver.

Visited the butcher this morning so nice lamb chops for dinner.

• Greenie 1

This was to be our last days boating this trip but a combination of following a slow boat from our mooring at bridge  13 to Stanthorne lock and an even slower one coming up Wardle ( boat at back of lock with much engine noise and lockwheeler lowered her paddle the two notches she had put it up every time the boat moved), a boat winding as we emerged from Wardle and we followed it down the 3 locks in Middlewich and the rain started prompted us to moor for the day.

It started off a lovely day too ! 

Back to the marina tomorrow and home the next day, whatever that is 😀

3 hours ago, haggis said:

This was to be our last days boating this trip but a combination of following a slow boat from our mooring at bridge  13 to Stanthorne lock and an even slower one coming up Wardle ( boat at back of lock with much engine noise and lockwheeler lowered her paddle the two notches she had put it up every time the boat moved), a boat winding as we emerged from Wardle and we followed it down the 3 locks in Middlewich and the rain started prompted us to moor for the day.

It started off a lovely day too ! 

Back to the marina tomorrow and home the next day, whatever that is 😀

Passed you on the Middlewich branch today following a smallish narrowboat, Iain didn't look too happy, but I did get a cheerful good morning from him.

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sun shining as we pulled into Coventry Basin

It was quite a nice morning with just the occasional short shower till we got to the Middlewich locks when it started to rain in earnest. We decided to moor up and visit the Big Lock but I saw a post from the Halsall crew recommending the White Bear so that is where we are heading . It is dry now but I think it will be a slightly shorter walk. 

53 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Passed you on the Middlewich branch today following a smallish narrowboat, Iain didn't look too happy, but I did get a cheerful good morning from him.

Sorry I didn't see you. Iain is too well mannered to get close  behind a slow  boat and ask if we can pass . He helped them through Stanthorne then they moored. 

35 minutes ago, haggis said:

It was quite a nice morning with just the occasional short shower till we got to the Middlewich locks when it started to rain in earnest. We decided to moor up and visit the Big Lock but I saw a post from the Halsall crew recommending the White Bear so that is where we are heading . It is dry now but I think it will be a slightly shorter walk. 

Sorry I didn't see you. Iain is too well mannered to get close  behind a slow  boat and ask if we can pass . He helped them through Stanthorne then they moored. 

The White Bear is very good, we had a meal there the other week. Beer is good too :)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Iain is too well mannered to get close  behind a slow  boat and ask if we can pass .

I think Mr Haggis is giving these peasants far too much leeway. I find the best approach is to get up to ramming speed on a long straight, and then slip past the offending vessel. 

As your stern passes their bow, swing it out so that it hits them. With any luck you'll send the blighters into the offside bushes and weeds where they belong.  Hopefully a passing farmer will shoot them for trespassing. 

If they do catch you up, then of course you say it was all a terrible misunderstanding. Mistook them for Somali pirates. Dreadful business. Couldn't be helped, sir. Never mind, whisky all round, etc. 

What I can't understand is why these awful people insist on driving a narrowboat with less than 40 years experience, no waistcoat, and no cowboy hat. 

The nation is sleepwalking to disaster.

14 hours ago, Tony1 said:

I think Mr Haggis is giving these peasants far too much leeway. I find the best approach is to get up to ramming speed on a long straight, and then slip past the offending vessel. 

As your stern passes their bow, swing it out so that it hits them. With any luck you'll send the blighters into the offside bushes and weeds where they belong.  Hopefully a passing farmer will shoot them for trespassing. 

If they do catch you up, then of course you say it was all a terrible misunderstanding. Mistook them for Somali pirates. Dreadful business. Couldn't be helped, sir. Never mind, whisky all round, etc. 

What I can't understand is why these awful people insist on driving a narrowboat with less than 40 years experience, no waistcoat, and no cowboy hat. 

The nation is sleepwalking to disaster.

Or just say "it is a contact sport"

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2024 at 18:14, Victor Vectis said:

The Vine Inn.

It’s ok. 
Beer’s a bit on the cold side so can’t really taste it, but ok. Not singing out as owt special. I’ll try another to be sure. 

👍 

• Greenie 1