Travelling the Severn for Christmas

SiFi

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, SiFi said:

I want to buy a book as a present that involves navigating a narrowboat (ideally) on the Severn. I have a vague memory of an account of a wide beam doing it but it may have been the Wye!

I imagine it would be quite a short book.

If you're looking for information on how to navigate the Severn, that might take 2 or 3 pages.

Or are you looking for someone's personal experience of navigating the Severn (which only takes about 10 hours from Stourport to Gloucester).

12 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you're looking for information on how to navigate the Severn, that might take 2 or 3 pages.

Or, just three words :

"Hire-a-pilot"

River Severn Navigation | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Boating on the Severn Navigation

The section from Gloucester to Sharpness is dangerous for boats, and is bypassed by the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. The section below Sharpness is not recommended for inland craft, unless they are equipped for a short sea voyage and have experienced crews, or else with the help of a licensed River Severn pilot.

Guide to Navigating the River Severn

27339-new-river-severn-navigation-guide-april-2016.pdf (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

52 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Thanks for this, the second one is just the sort of thing, I think it will make a good Christmas present. Already ordered!! Cheers!

"This colourful new edition of the Bristol Channel and Severn Cruising Guide is based on Peter Cumberlidge's popular classic originally published by Stanford Maritime. This new book contains all the latest information on Bristol Channel and Severn marinas, harbours and anchorages. From Milford Haven up to Lydney on the north shore and from Sharpness down to St Ives on the south shore. The pilotage is clearly charted in Imray's user-friendly style and lavish photography conveys the full atmosphere of this magnificent unspoilt cruising area. Peter Cumberlidge has included a fascinating sequence of features on the maritime history of these waters and suggests many places of interest to visit ashore. This new edition also covers the glorious inland Severn beyond Sharpness up to Gloucester, Tewkesbury, Worcester and Stourport.

• Greenie 1

Hi sSciFi there is a nice little useful one for the Trent but I don’t know of any for the Severn. Maybe. Yachtsman Pilot but they are quite expensive. Or you could just get them the chart . Lydney sailing.club or the pilots at Bristol should know they are extremely helpful . When we did it the Pilot gave us a colour copy of the chart with our course on it