Boaters' Update - changes to communications to CCers.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

I geuss overstaying is more of a thing in winter, we notice it when collecting the car or nipping back to sanitary stations or whatever.

Years ago nobody would mind if you overstayed in some out of the way spots, even around London and even all winter. They'd leave you alone because they realised you had it hard enough as it was. But now of course with so many more boats on the system it's all changed. Just one of those supply & demand things, like how you used to be able to park a car in central London for nothing. 

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Years ago nobody would mind if you overstayed in some out of the way spots, even around London and even all winter. They'd leave you alone because they realised you had it hard enough as it was. But now of course with so many more boats on the system it's all changed. Just one of those supply & demand things, like how you used to be able to park a car in central London for nothing. 

Friend of mine more or less lived within a few miles of Chester for many years, well known to the local BW and CRT blokes. But bsck then, he was one of the half dozen in that area and it caused no bother to anyone. It's that thing one's mum used to say:"if everyone behaved like that..." Now we know what happens when they do. Me, I liked the old anarchic life.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Friend of mine more or less lived within a few miles of Chester for many years, well known to the local BW and CRT blokes. But bsck then, he was one of the half dozen in that area and it caused no bother to anyone. It's that thing one's mum used to say:"if everyone behaved like that..." Now we know what happens when they do. Me, I liked the old anarchic life.

The other point is "causing no bother to anyone", so presumably not mooring for long periods on VMs, short-term moorings, water points, lock landings, on bends and near bridges. Unlike some of the CMers nowadays who basically don't give a sh*t and moor (and overstay) anywhere they find convenient for them regardless of other people or the rules... 😞

I moored for 41 days on a 7 day mooring during the summer.

I also spent a week or so on a 2 day mooring.

Although I am apparently a ‘proper’ boater. Or perhaps it’s easier to make enemies of stereotypes rather than actual people.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Although I am apparently a ‘proper’ boater. Or perhaps it’s easier to make enemies of stereotypes rather than actual people.

Presumably you had good reason and weren't just hogging the mooring.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Presumably you had good reason and weren't just hogging the mooring.

But therein lies the issue. Obviously I thought it was OK in the circumstances but I was still ‘hogging the mooring’ as far as anyone observing would have seen things. In neither case did I absolutely have to leave the boat in the positions I chose either at all and/or for that duration of time.

10 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Good find Sir.

I think it’s still being updated. I was last spotted on 25th October on the Staffs & Worcs which is after the link was taken down. From then up until a week or so ago I’ve been squirrelled away on the BCN. That’s twice this year I’ve managed to spend a month on the BCN without being spotted.

Well I was spotted in the same place, twice on the same day at the sane time.

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

The other point is "causing no bother to anyone", so presumably not mooring for long periods on VMs, short-term moorings, water points, lock landings, on bends and near bridges. Unlike some of the CMers nowadays who basically don't give a sh*t and moor (and overstay) anywhere they find convenient for them regardless of other people or the rules... 😞

In some cases 'causing no bother' can refer to locals rather than other boaters. 

People who live in an area and use the towpath as part of their daily life maybe take the dog for a walk do often care about it. 

Seemingly little things like boaters filling bins which are obviously provided for people out walking to put small litter into can really wind people up. 

It is the locals you need to pacify not other boaters. 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

But therein lies the issue. Obviously I thought it was OK in the circumstances but I was still ‘hogging the mooring’ as far as anyone observing would have seen things. In neither case did I absolutely have to leave the boat in the positions I chose either at all and/or for that duration of time.

Was the mooring full at any point?

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don’t know.

I was just considering how I feel when I need to use a mooring say for shopping and can't get moored.  If I thought some of the boats had been there 6 weeks I would be, to say the least unhappy.

If the mooring was never full no harm done.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'm surprised at you doing that. 

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I was just considering how I feel when I need to use a mooring say for shopping and can't get moored.  If I thought some of the boats had been there 6 weeks I would be, to say the least unhappy.

If the mooring was never full no harm done.

I could extend that logic to it being OK to stay on a remote spot on the towpath as long as you like.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm surprised at you doing that. 

Why?

Edited by Captain Pegg

I could extend that logic to it being OK to stay on a remote spot on the towpath as long as you like.

Where do you put the rubbish? 

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

Which should really be the case, but of course doesn't make much money for CART as well as being against the CC rules... 😞

I mean if you stay at a remote spot all the time. 

Just because you are not inconveniencing other boaters does not mean you aren't upsetting someone. 

Canals are public. 

Take it to the nearest CRT bins or council tip in a car.

i know folk who do that.

'Remote spot' implies distance from services. People will end up using public bins for convenience and this will irritate locals. 

I know it is just a bin but people do get upset by this. I've seen bags of what seemed to be some sort of shitcompost by dog bins close to where boats were moored. Nobody wants this these dog bins are for locals who need to dispose of their waste dogs. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Take it to the nearest CRT bins or council tip in a car.

i know folk who do that.

Or just throw it under/over the hedge. I've seen boats who do that, taking the "don't give a sh*t" mentality to extremes. Sometimes with that too... 😞

Edited by IanD

Council tips are often awkward and the CRT is closing quite a lot of services. 

Same now beginning to happen on the Thames because of overloading of bins by residential boat owners. 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I mean if you stay at a remote spot all the time. 

Just because you are not inconveniencing other boaters does not mean you aren't upsetting someone. 

Canals are public. 

That’s exactly the point I was making in response to @Jerra’s suggestion that my overstay was OK if the mooring had never been fully utilised while I was there.

I wasn’t advocating doing it or suggesting that I do it.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

This happens at Middlewich above Kings Lock

I know of several places on the Thames where it happens. It is just laziness and yes it really does wind up the locals. 

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Or just throw it under/over the hedge. I've seen boats who do that, taking the "don't give a sh*t" mentality to extremes. Sometimes with that too... 😞

Paddington arm ?