Why did you choose your layout ...

phillarrow

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, DandV said:

The beauty of extended cruising is that you are only rarely subject to any time pressures to actually untie and move.

Normally, you can just tie up and sit out inclement weather, snug inside.

It is actually rare that the whole day is foul.

Often there is a window after daybreak before forecast bad weather arrives, or the bad weather passes later in the day.

DandV, is that fine boat in the avatar yours?

We had a 58'-6' for go-anywhere,(and we did) with a 4+2 capacity layout. L/Dining/G +2, D/Bed /WC/ D/Bed or 2 singles & big Stern area. (with the pram hood up this was also a great drying area, odds & sods store, sun lounge reading room or boot room. with 2 tables we could seat 6 or 2 at table in the lounge and 4 comfortably on the rear deck (with small table) open or closed in.

We loved the outlook through the front cabin doors but also loved using the back deck for entertaining particularly on summer evenings or for breakfast. However we could never reconcile loosing the beautiful end of day views that moving the L/D/G to the rear would entail. That said, we did a lot of entreating on the move and this was an incredibly flexible layout.

Edited by oboat
  • Love 1

In reply to Peanut.

The fine boat is the restored 1894 built 58ft ondeck gaff rigged cutter Waitangi.

One of the about 20 restored 19th and very early 20th century,  racing gaffers, regularily racing on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour.

Most like Waitangi are now owned by charitable trusts or syndicates.

Like most of the fleet the crew contribute most of the very considerable costs and labour in keeping them race worthy with additional support from other charities, mainly pokie machines, and some generous benefactors for major items.

Our racing and social  program is year round about 25 days with about 4 overnights.

In fact she is returning from a race yesterday, and the Classic Yacht  Christmas bbq on Waiheke Island with about 10 onboard over night.

I opted out, I am now less compatible the combination of alcohol, a derated bladder, and no ensuite!!

htps://classicyachtcharitabletrust.org.nz

• Greenie 1

On 01/12/2023 at 21:55, IanD said:

If you need to hang washing up to dry then a cratch cover can come in useful, even if it looks awful. If you have a tumble drier and the power to run it this need goes away... 😉

Or, if you have an engine room... complete with warm engine. 

Not that your clothes will smell of diesel or hot engine oil, obviously. Not even a leetle bit.... :) 

• Haha 1

On 30/11/2023 at 22:08, Ewan123 said:

The main thing I would change (and will when I have the time/money available) is our L-shaped kitchen. In theory we have plenty of storage space in the cupboards, but you'd have to lie on the floor and go shoulder-deep to get near the back of one of them, so much of the storage is inaccessible.

I'd also rather the circulation pump for the radiators off the back boiler wasn't at the end of the bed - bit too noisy to think about leaving the fire in overnight.

I have a 1.6m long galley, so having a major redesign, drawers, four of them on one side, this should make all numerous bottles accessible, plus cutlery, plus cutting board, a veg basket on runners. No more scrabbling about and even searching with a torch! 

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Or, if you have an engine room... complete with warm engine. 

Not that your clothes will smell of diesel or hot engine oil, obviously. Not even a leetle bit.... :) 

If your engine room smells there is something wrong and you have a leak that needs fixing