Cherry Eye Bridge

mark99

Featured Posts

Ruby walking through Cherry Eye Bridge near where the boat is moored. 100 years difference - not a lot. The painting was done in 2009 by Mike Fisher a local artist.
"The bridge is named after a condition of ironstone miners' eyes, from the redness caused by rubbing them with ore-stained hands. The Cherry Eye ironstone quarry site was near to this bridge.
The unusual shape of the bridge is thought to have been done for aesthetic reasons, to placate the local landowner when the canal was built".

ghy.JPG

285047235_185524797134503_3335246077028328342_n.jpg

cherry eye 100 years.jpg

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, mark99 said:
Ruby walking through Cherry Eye Bridge near where the boat is moored. 100 years difference - not a lot. The painting was done in 2009 by Mike Fisher a local artist.
"The bridge is named after a condition of ironstone miners' eyes, from the redness caused by rubbing them with ore-stained hands. The Cherry Eye ironstone quarry site was near to this bridge.
The unusual shape of the bridge is thought to have been done for aesthetic reasons, to placate the local landowner when the canal was built".

ghy.JPG

285047235_185524797134503_3335246077028328342_n.jpg

cherry eye 100 years.jpg

but what was the bridge originally named

I found some of these in the towpath on the Ashby in my first winter on. boat 94/95. They had been dredging (!) and one of the push tug geysers advised me there was some coal about. 

Burnt it in the Arctic fire. Quite nice. I do like real old coal. 

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

I found some of these in the towpath on the Ashby in my first winter on. boat 94/95. They had been dredging (!) and one of the push tug geysers advised me there was some coal about. 

Burnt it in the Arctic fire. Quite nice. I do like real old coal. 

Passed a couple of boats today with fires, doesn't this modern so called coal, stink when it burns 

If you mean Excel then yes it is horrid. Like burning carrier bags. Also popular, sadly. I've never used it. 

Petcoke not nice. 

It is likely that more oil products will find their way into the smokeless briquettes over time. Seems a bit wrong but where there are economic incentives these things will happen. 

Maybe a side effect of electric cars :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Passed a couple of boats today with fires, doesn't this modern so called coal, stink when it burns 

this fake coal is horrible,

takes ages to get going proper and like you says stinks bad,

I did visit a lovely boozer this weekend that still has a stash of the proper big lumps of real stuff,

enough for a couple more winters

lovely 🔥 and roasting hot