Diesel Heater Recommendations

JustJ

Featured Posts

Hi everyone 😁

I’m a livaboard on a 27ft grp, I need a diesel heater to tide me over whil I sort out fixing/replacing my propex heater.

there are so many kicking around I would like some recommendations or ones to avoid!

ideally a single unit with internal fuel tank to minimise install/uninstall 

thanks in advance 

jason

35 minutes ago, JustJ said:

Hi everyone 😁

I’m a livaboard on a 27ft grp, I need a diesel heater to tide me over whil I sort out fixing/replacing my propex heater.

there are so many kicking around I would like some recommendations or ones to avoid!

thanks in advance 

jason

The all in one units will not comply with BSC rules.

I had one for the garage, Chinese with no make on it, but it worked very well.Got it off the internet from a vendor called Maxspeeding Rods.

40 minutes ago, JustJ said:

Hi everyone 😁

thanks in advance 

jason

They are all much the same so choose the cheapest.

Don't underestimate the costs though as you'll need to bin the exhaust that comes with it and buy a decent quality marine silencer (that doesn't leak fumes into the boat like the one supplied) and a skin fitting. and some exhaust insulating sleeve. These three items will cost much the same again as the diesel heater. 

And then pay careful attention to assembling the exhaust. I've yet to find a way to do it securely. The joints generally fall apart if you give them a pull.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The all in one units will not comply with BSC rules.

I had one for the garage, Chinese with no make on it, but it worked very well.Got it off the internet from a vendor called Maxspeeding Rods.

sort of....  most people reckon you need to spend about another £150 to get them compliant to the current "interim" view from BSS

loads of no name ones on amazon/fleabay etc.  its probably worth the extra for the 8Kw ones rather than the slightly smaller/cheaper 5Kw ones imo.

this BSS document might help

bss-interim-position-on-diesel-appliance-fuel-supply-arrangements-dec-2021-final-v10-modified-on-211208 (1).pdf

Edited by jonathanA
added BSS doc

21 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

most people reckon you need to spend about another £150 to get them compliant to the current "interim" view from BSS

That's been my experience. More, if you want better exhaust pipe as well as a compliant silencer. The hardest bit is trying to understand the "Chinglish" instructions. Assuming you get any instructions at all. They are good units though.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

More, if you want better exhaust pipe as well as a compliant silencer.

My own experience is there are no properly secure exhaust systems available to fit onto the plain but slightly tapered aluminium exhaust spigot. Both types of stainless corrugated tube can fall off if knocked or given a good pull, even with the clamps tightened. 

Has anyone found any really secure exhaust clamps yet? I'm imagining something like the U bolt clamps used on car exhausts, but sized for these diesel heaters

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, MtB said:

Has anyone found any really secure exhaust clamps yet? I'm imagining something like the U bolt clamps used on car exhausts, but sized for these diesel heaters

These are the ones I use:

spacer.png

(Use the right size, image is just to show the type, Mikalor do nice ones...)

Be careful tho, 'cos you can't half get 'em tight!!

I also use a little bit of exhaust assembly paste, really helps to stick the parts together...

Edited by Quattrodave
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

These are the ones I use:

spacer.png

Yes, those were the ones that came with my eBay reconditioned Webasto water heater.

The silencer that came with the kit is for automotive use and wasn't sealed but wasn't difficult to seal with a 6mm bolt. I never bothered fitting it in the end but it's no noisier than my neighbor's Webasto with a silencer. 

4 hours ago, JustJ said:

I'm a livaboard on a 27ft grp, I need a diesel heater to tide me over whil I sort out fixing/replacing my propex heater.

Personally I wouldn't get the propex heater repaired, I'd replace it with a diesel heater.  Just be aware they can use a fair bit of electricity if used for a long time. Perhaps have a look at a Refleks heater. A friend has one and I'm so jealous!! During the winter he runs it 24 / 7 has a nice visible flame, uses very little diesel and zero electricity!!

Edited by Quattrodave

5 hours ago, Crewcut said:

What Quattrodave said & I'd also be looking at improving the insulation where possible. Refleks and other drip feed diesel heaters are great but expensive, occasionally come up 2nd hand on ebay. Planar warm air heaters are good, e.g. this kit would do you...

Curiously, the photo of the kit on that web page still shows the type of silencer that leaks exhaust products into the boat.

So deeply unsuitable for marine use.