Poor Maintenance Hire Boat experience - any views?

Ceres Two

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

But they don't all know anything about boats. I asked a boater yesterday if I could help (down engine hole).

Wife asked the boss who said the drive belt was loose?

Anyway, obviously sorted. I'm not sure I've even got one, and certainly don't carry a spare!

Yes but you're not in the 'seasoned, hands-on boater' category are you? 

And you do have one by the way, on your engine.

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

But they don't all know anything about boats. I asked a boater yesterday if I could help (down engine hole).

Wife asked the boss who said the drive belt was loose?

Anyway, obviously sorted. I'm not sure I've even got one, and certainly don't carry a spare!

Apart for the odd exceptionally rare boat, the drive belt is probably what you call a fan belt or alternator belt. And you would be well advised to carry a spare plus a spare control cable (the longest one). That w y, when one beaks, you will not be paying for someone to go and find one. You could even fit it yourself.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes but you're not in the 'seasoned, hands-on boater' category are you? 

And you do have one by the way, on your engine.

My engine drives the propshaft via the gearbox.

There is a belt, I have a spare, it's for the alternator, and presumably the water pump which cools the engine.

I change the oil, and check coolant, also look in the engine hole for anything unusual.

I pay for someone to do an annual "service", every yard does something different.

I expect the engine to see me out.

No smoke, no oil usage between changes.

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My engine drives the propshaft via the gearbox.

There is a belt, I have a spare, it's for the alternator, and presumably the water pump which cools the engine.

I change the oil, and check coolant, also look in the engine hole for anything unusual.

I pay for someone to do an annual "service", every yard does something different.

I expect the engine to see me out.

No smoke, no oil usage between changes.

I'm beginning to think you haven't read the thread. Again! 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Free

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Apart for the odd exceptionally rare boat, the drive belt is probably what you call a fan belt or alternator belt. And you would be well advised to carry a spare plus a spare control cable (the longest one). That w y, when one beaks, you will not be paying for someone to go and find one. You could even fit it yourself.

I did have a very stiff morse single lever and asked for mechanic to replace, apparently it's heavy duty and just needed the right kind of grease. Mechanic did not leave the spare cable, he said it would not be easy to fit, presumably by me!!!

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Free

I did have a very stiff morse single lever and asked for mechanic to replace, apparently it's heavy duty and just needed the right kind of grease. Mechanic did not leave the spare cable, he said it would not be easy to fit, presumably by me!!!

Without seeing the boat one can never be sure, but on the narrowboats I have seen and dealt with, control cables are not normally difficult to fit. I suppose on a trad where the control is effectively inside the boat, one may come across some horrible fit out that prevents access.

Normally removes any clamps holding the cable to the boat. If possible the cable should not be clamped tight along its length, it needs to flex a bit as you use it.

Then disconnect the ends and unclamp the outer.

Take the trunnion the is almost certainly on the control end and half unscrew it.

Screw the new cable into the trunnion and use the old cable as a guide/pull through.

Gear cables adjust for length with the gearbox and control in the neutral position, while the speed cable is adjusted with the control in slow ahead/astern  and the engine lever on idle.

Stiff controls are normally caused by mall adjustment, old age and incipient failure, or not being allowed to flex along their length.

There may be a "special" grease sold by the control maker, but I don't think it is special at all, apart from the price. In my view, nearly any grease would do, but I would use a molybdenum grease because the molybdenum would still be offering some lubrication when the grease had hardened.I think you found yet another boge it and run merchant. I also don't think any control using the usual 33C cables is particularly heavy duty. The heavy-duty ones use much thicker cables. Some are better quality than others, but heavy-duty, I think not.

Edited to add: the cables are not greased because they run in a nylon sheath.

Edited by Tony Brooks

2 hours ago, MtB said:

All of your list, I reckon. 

But 1) in particular. It seems the vee belt had come off and was lying in the bilge. Pretty much any seasoned boater would have sussed this in an instant and found the vee belt, and probably levered it back on.

Boating is very much a 'hands on' thing. Being resourceful and inventive to overcome a massive spectrum of minor obstacles is all part of the enjoyment of boating for me. If this sort of thing wrecks a holiday for the OP, then mebbe boating isn't for them. 

If the belt was not on why was the ignition horn not sounding

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If the belt was not on why was the ignition horn not sounding

Because it had failed or did not have one, possibly. If the diode pack that allows one sounder to monitor multiple senders fails, it is often easier to just do away with it and rely upon the lights.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Hire Boating is very much a 'hang on' thing. Being resourceless with invective to become a massive spectrum of major obstacles is all part of the enjoyment of boating for them. If this sort of thing wrecks a holiday for somebody else then mebbe boating isn't for them. 

tittivated that for you. 🙂

30 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Hire Boating is very much a 'hang on' thing. Being resourceless with invective to become a massive spectrum of major obstacles is all part of the enjoyment of boating for them. If this sort of thing wrecks a holiday for somebody else then mebbe boating isn't for them.

Just to correct the record, these are the words of system 4-50 not mine.

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1