Cratch cover repair

Featured Posts

Anyone have any recs for cratch cover repair on the GU

I have ripped the zip from the fabric on both sides and lost one popper button on the other side. I managed to hand sew one side mostly but can’t be bothered with that agin as it was painful and time consuming. Would prefer to have someone with an industrial sewing machine.  Thanks.  Currently at Beeston and working my way London bound. 

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
Fixed the title.

AJ canopies at Braunston do repairs, you usually drop it off to them and get it back in one or two days. A short diversion off the Soar, Leicester Line will take you there if you dont have transport other than boat. 

Also there is Star Crafts (Adrastrea and Nebulae- Alan and Nicky Buckle) who are usually on the GU now, butty full of sewing machines, and yes, she repairs crotches and cratches). 

https://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/characters-of-the-cut-star-crafts/

• Love 1

You don't need an industrial sewing machine - we did our whole canopy with a standard, although relatively modern, domestic sewing machine.  You can buy the UV stable marine thread on fleabay, and perhaps google to see if there is an independent clothing alterations firm on your travels - its a quick job although appreciate it's big and bulky.  

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MtB said:

I think you need to edit the thread title, Crotch cover repair lol! 

Oops. That is long beyond repair. Silly autocorrect. 

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Done.

Ta 

29 minutes ago, TandC said:

You don't need an industrial sewing machine - we did our whole canopy with a standard, although relatively modern, domestic sewing machine.  You can buy the UV stable marine thread on fleabay, and perhaps google to see if there is an independent clothing alterations firm on your travels - its a quick job although appreciate it's big and bulky.  

My pal said two of her needles broke using her machine ! 

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

AJ canopies at Braunston do repairs, you usually drop it off to them and get it back in one or two days. A short diversion off the Soar, Leicester Line will take you there if you dont have transport other than boat. 

Also there is Star Crafts (Adrastrea and Nebulae- Alan and Nicky Buckle) who are usually on the GU now, butty full of sewing machines, and yes, she repairs crotches and cratches). 

Thanks pal 

Edited by wandering

Use a 100/16 needle intended for denim for the strongest needle.  Although I don't think we even went that far - just used what we had in the sewing box - and that was through doubled-up canvas, the edgebinding and also through window plastic stuff.

if it's too thick, the machine just stalls. 

I think the main reason to snap a needle is lateral pull on them from the weight of the material pulling sideways - we did ours on a big outside table - it was a faff rolling it all up, two people supporting the material etc.

anyway, it was more back to the OP's point - that perhaps if it is just a case of sewing in the zip, then it probably doesnt' need a proper canopy manufacturer.

Also on the poppers, just buy a bag on ebay with the centre punch. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181265742888 

• Love 1

Hmm, I am happy to give it another go. I need a stronger needle and thread. I have to pierce through 5 layers and pushing my needle through even one by one is a pain. I end up just bending nails or suffer with sore fingers, even with a thumbnail. Thanks for those poppers. Didn’t realise how cheap they were. 

Edited by wandering

6 minutes ago, wandering said:

Hmm, I am happy to give it another go. I need a stronger needle and thread. I have to pierce through 5 layers and pushing my needle through even one by one is a pain. I end up just bending nails or suffer with sore fingers, even with a thumbnail. Thanks for those poppers. Didn’t realise how cheap they were. 

depending on how many layers you may need to try and find long poppers - and there are two types of tool to close them:  A simple punch and die which you hit with a hammer, or a fancy pliers-like thing.   Probably worth sifting through ebay - last time i bought a bag of 100 poppers with the pliers. 

53 minutes ago, wandering said:

pushing my needle through even one by one is a pain. I end up just bending nails or suffer with sore fingers, even with a thumbnail.

This is what a thimble is for! To save your fingers when hand sewing and repeatedly pushing a needle through heavy fabric!

Here's a nice antique silver one...

image.png.f939a93265873a9b2ca8aa8052b0bcd7.pngHer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145243915851?

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Nicky is excellent, we had our cover repaired at the Norbury Festival this year, just stopped on the off chance. Nicky did the repair and also modified the cover to stop me damaging it again. 

• Greenie 1