painting my narrowboat

Bartey

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bartey said:

Hi about to start fitting my narrow boat shell I have been recommend to use Epifanes two pack paint can anybody give there view and the best place to buy.

One of my local boatyards uses Epifanes two pack for blacking. Comparing the 2 pack blacking on my own boat with a couple of boats locally blacked around the same time, it seems to go grey quicker than the International 2 pack used on my boat.

40 minutes ago, Bartey said:

Decorative paintwork.

Unusual but I have thought of using two pack epoxy on the cabin.  Decorative enamel boat paint is more commonly used.

You do know that epoxy is supposed to go onto clean grit blasted steel and not on top of other paints don't you?

A lot depends on the conditions you are painting in, ie under cover or outside. I have only ever used 2 pack on the hull of my barge whilst on an open drydock and it was going off before I got to the end. For the topsides I have always used the traditional enamel top coat after a coat of etching primer followed by primer, undercoats and the topcoat. It is also easier to paint out scratch marks etc which are inevitable . I have owned boats for over 50 years and always painted them myself but I did start working life as a deck apprentice with Shell Tankers which consisted doing an awful lot of chipping and painting.

Preparation is the key to success. 

Rust is the enemy..

Most boats are primed,  they should be clean, smooth and free of rust before another coat of anything is applied.

Topsides

I think that I would stick to primer (to a good smooth rust free surface), undercoat (x2/3), Top coat, maybe two coats with a light sanding. I'd just use single pack,  as it will be easier to touch up and to apply first time around. Two pack will give a better surface, but again, only if prep and application is perfect.

All the tops of gunwales need a topcoat  with non slip granules imho.

The roof topcoat would benefit from non slip, but there are quite a few raddle type finishes, which look smart, I would avoid gloss at all cost.

I prefer a satin finish on most surfaces, it's easier to get a decent finish. I have gloss highlights and cabin sides.

Hull

I would use two pack epoxy on the baseplate and the hull, but you may need Hardtop as a final coat on the hull because the two pack fades. I'm not sure about a primer.

SML Paints sell almost everything you need except sandpaper. They have a big range of Marine Paints, and will give technical advice if you ask for it.

Edited by LadyG