Trip to the Anderton Boat Lift

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

We'll shortly be having a very long weekend going from Tattenhall Marina to the Anderton Boat lift and back. I've seen you can book it and it all seems to be open which is a bonus!  The main reason for the trip is just to go down/up on the lift as I'm fascinated by it, but i wasn't really sure if there is anything else we should be looking to do in the area of any significance?  any pointers greatly received... maybe look at the Weaver a bit, but which way?

thanks as ever!

rob

Not sure how much free time you will have left to explore the Weaver. The trip from Tattenhall to the boat lift will take around 14 hours assuming there are no challenges getting through the Middlewich locks. Hopefully you will more luck with these than we do 🤣 - we always seem to hit traffic and/or hotel boats and butty ...

There is some lovely moorings on the Middlewich branch, Minshull moorings are especially nice but you are really spolit for chocie. You will also pass by Bramble Cuttings when leaving Middlewich, it is another very pleaseant and usually peaceful spot - only 3 boats can moor there as a rule and it is offside.

Good moorings to be had in Middlewich too, either above Wardle locks or after Middlewich locks. The Big Lock pub is ok, the Kings Lock pub serves better beer but no food, the chippy opposite is very good! The White Bear is probably the best pub in Middlewich, good beer and food was decent too.

• Greenie 1

If you only have time to go down the lift and straight back up, just be aware that the far bank of the river is deceptively shallow. In 2007 I did it when we arrived back at the nearby ABC hire base a few hours early, and even when 20ft from the far bank I got the stern well and truly stuck on the bottom.

It took me quite a while to get moving again, and as always seems to be the case, there were crowds of gongoozlers watching from the cafe' and viewing points! It still ranks as my most embarrassing boating c*ck up ever! 

8 hours ago, Grassman said:

If you only have time to go down the lift and straight back up, just be aware that the far bank of the river is deceptively shallow. In 2007 I did it when we arrived back at the nearby ABC hire base a few hours early, and even when 20ft from the far bank I got the stern well and truly stuck on the bottom.

It took me quite a while to get moving again, and as always seems to be the case, there were crowds of gongoozlers watching from the cafe' and viewing points! It still ranks as my most embarrassing boating c*ck up ever! 

thanks for the heads up... I need all the pointers i can get to stop myself looking a tit!

Hi rob the anderton boat lift is on my bucket list next month me and the wife will be going to use it were in Leicester at the moment some friends will be coming with us on there boat so looking forward to it will book it when we're close to it hope you enjoy the trip Thomas Henry soar navigation 

• Greenie 1

Heading much further south than Northwich is a problem as the Vale Royal locks are out of action, but tbh Northwich is a nice little town to visit anyway, and well worth the 15-20 minute cruise from the boat lift, and there are a decent range of mooring spots within a couple of hundred yards of  the town centre and a couple of nice pubs.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Heading much further south than Northwich is a problem as the Vale Royal locks are out of action, but tbh Northwich is a nice little town to visit anyway, and well worth the 15-20 minute cruise from the boat lift, and there are a decent range of mooring spots within a couple of hundred yards of  the town centre and a couple of nice pubs.

thanks so much, this sounds like a good point to head to!!  

34 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks so much, this sounds like a good point to head to!!  

If you're only staying a day or two, there is a pontoon next the Odeon cinema that you'll see on the left as you approach the town- that is really convenient and locked access too. Usually full, but worth a look if you're early arriving.

But a few yards further on there is a high walled bank on which you can moor on bollards, although you have to step onto the bank from your roof, so not ideal for a bike. But there's always a spot there if you're desperate.

But a bit further on, under the first bridge and on the right (opposite Northwich Quay Marina), there are some 14 day moorings next to some apartments, and those are pretty quiet. 

There isnt an awful lot of boat traffic either which is nice. 

Cracking place to visit, you definitely wont regret it.

I've heard the northern reaches and devil's garden are really nice, but not been up there yet. 

Edited by Tony1