Extra large side hatch

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Did I?

Nope, I just looked and I’ve only just come into the conversation.

Thread was already side tracked.

But yea, I do like the doors/windows.

The insides seems very well crafted from what I see.

The exterior seems to answer what I expect the client wanted.

Not something I’d have done to my boat.

but I appreciate the work that’s gone in to it.

I was going to pick up on what something someone else said about the structural integrity.

How would something like this alter the overall integrity?

Surely the strength is all in the hull and craning in and out wouldn’t matter?

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Nope, I just looked and I’ve only just come into the conversation.

Thread was already side tracked.

But yea, I do like the doors/windows.

The insides seems very well crafted from what I see.

The exterior seems to answer what I expect the client wanted.

Not something I’d have done to my boat.

but I appreciate the work that’s gone in to it.

I was going to pick up on what something someone else said about the structural integrity.

How would something like this alter the overall integrity?

Surely the strength is all in the hull and craning in and out wouldn’t matter?

Have you ever seen an unconverted working boat get lifted out by crane. I assume that is why you do not see any centre cockpit steel cruisers like you used to. They were obviously craned out and folded in half

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Did I?

I made a simple comment saying that the doors were very nice, but being wide they couldn't be opened or closed when in a lock, and gave an example why this could be a problem -- water getting in when descending a leaky lock. Which had happened on a boat I was on.

What followed was a cascade of sh*tposting about how nobody with two brain cells to rub together would do this, certainly not [pick your poster] who are perfect and would *never* have things like this happen on their boat, how this could be avoided, and a final gem from you about it all being the captain's fault-- so a late joiner to the club, not a founder member, I got that wrong. It's almost as if it wasn't bleeding obvious why leaving doors open like this was a bad idea... 😉

None of which was the slightest bit necessary, except in the eyes of those who are always seemingly looking out for ways to pour scorn on other boaters -- and do it all the time, on multiple threads on CWDF... 😞

And then people complain about how there are few young boaters or newbies on CWDF, and how they often storm off in a huff (after being told how stupid they are). I wonder why that is?

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Lemme see now.... 

The discussion continues somewhat off topic, or the thread quietly goes to sleep as no-one has anything to say about Kedian side doors specifically... 

Which is best for an advertising thread?!

Nothing said about advertising at all I thought it might be of interest to some I understand no advertising on this site and no mention has been made of it being for sale 

Just now, Martin Kedian said:

Nothing said about advertising at all I thought it might be of interest to some I understand no advertising on this site and no mention has been made of it being for sale 

I thought it was a nice example of some unusual side doors, the kind of thing people might find interesting not advertising -- like the post I made about bedroom storage... 😉

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I made a simple comment saying that the doors were very nice, but being wide they couldn't be opened or closed when in a lock, and gave an example why -- water getting in when descending a leaky lock.

What followed was a cascade of sh*tposting about how nobody with two brain cells to rub together would do this, certainly not [pick your poster] who are perfect and would *never* have things like this happen on their boat, how this could be avoided, and a final gem from you about it all being the captain's fault-- so a late joiner to the club, not a founder member, I got that wrong. It's almost as if it wasn't bleeding obvious why leaving doors open like this was a bad idea... 😉

None of which was the slightest bit necessary, except in the eyes of those who are always seemingly looking out for ways to pour scorn on the knowledge and opinions of other boaters -- and do it all the time, on multiple threads on CWDF... 😞

And then people complain about how there are few young boaters or newbies on CWDF, and how they often storm off in a huff (after being told how stupid they are). I wonder why that is?

shocking how you turn every thread you contribute to in to an argument. 

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

shocking how you turn every thread you contribute to in to an argument. 

Maybe that's because I won't be bullied into shutting up by people repeatedly making wrong assumptions based on zero information and then making it personal -- as amply demonstrated here, including your comments... 😞

And you can stop the gaslighting, I'm not the one who turned a comment about Martin's side doors into an unjustified argument about being stupid or irresponsible or ignorant or careless... 😉

P.S. About twice as many posts about why having open side doors in a lock is stupid compared to posts actually about Martin's doors... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Maybe that's because I won't be bullied into shutting up by people repeatedly making wrong assumptions based on zero information and then making it personal -- as amply demonstrated here, including your comments... 😞

And you can stop the gaslighting, I'm not the one who turned a comment about Martin's side doors into an unjustified argument about being stupid or irresponsible or ignorant or careless... 😉

nope, all I’ve said is the captain is in charge of the boat and is boss. 
Any windows left open is the bosses fault not those of a visiting hapless crew. 

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

nope, all I’ve said is the captain is in charge of the boat and is boss. 
Any windows left open is the bosses fault not those of a visiting hapless crew.

And that comment -- and your previous ones -- contributes to a discussion about Martin's doors how, exactly? Apart from provoking further responses from me -- ooh look, I'm winding him up, I can hear you think.

Every time I see posts like this it it reminds me why CWDF is seen as unfriendly, especially to newbies... 😞

Maybe you *should* be a founder member of the club, I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open arms... 😉

Over and out.

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

The occasion I was referring to was on a hire boat, which had side hatches but no top hatches -- do you suggest I should have got a gas axe and cut a hole through the roof for extra ventilation?

And I sure that all guests on your boat are given full safety instructions when they join you, including when it's permissible to open said side hatches when they're inside the boat, so this would *never* happen to you... 😉

You just can't resist the temptation to put little digs in your posts aimed at other people, can you? Maybe you can form a little club with other posters who do the same, you could call it something like the "Naysayers and Scorncasters Social Club"... 😉

This kind of supercilious false superiority -- "I'm a *much* better boater than you, don't you know..." is exactly what puts some people off CWDF, especially newbies who either ask a question or say something naive and then get a shower of derogatory comments about how stupid they obviously are, so they get miffed and leave... 😞

You really should read what you write, as I don’t think I’m superior to anyone, I would say it’s you that think this with a lot of the long posts you write.

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

You really should read what you write, as I don’t think I’m superior to anyone, I would say it’s you that think this with a lot of the long posts you write.

Right on!   Has there ever been a thread where Ian has not insisted on having the last word?  

These silly squabbles are tiresome in the extreme, but it takes two to argue and be petulant.  Why will one of you not stop?

7 minutes ago, pearley said:

To get back to the original post, Martin fitted a pair of side doors on our previous narrowboat.  A job well done at a decent price.

And there have been other examples posted in the past -- not by Martin! -- praising his workmanship and professionalism. Which is a pretty good recommendation for anyone wanting work like this done on their boat... 🙂

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

And there have been other examples posted -- not by Martin! -- praising his workmanship. Which is a good recommendation for anyone wanting work like this done on their boat... 🙂

Last word again Ian?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Last word again Ian?

People like you trying to provoke arguments all the time are one of the reasons that many people don't post on CWDF, or leave.

Why can't you just stick to the subject, as requested above? It's what I was doing...

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Last word again Ian?

No, I was paying Martin a compliment on his work -- what's your problem with that, on a thread that he started about his work?

You, however, are being a troll... 😞

Troll (slang)

In slang, a troll is a person who posts or makes inflammatory, insincere, digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages online (such as in social media, a newsgroup, a forum, a chat room, an online video game) or in real life, with the intent of provoking others into displaying emotional responses,[2] or manipulating others' perception, thus acting as a bully or a provocateur. The behavior is typically for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or purposefully causing confusion or harm to other people.[3]

2 hours ago, IanD said:

P.S. About twice as many posts about why having open side doors in a lock is stupid compared to posts actually about Martin's doors... 😞

I think you need to calm down Pat (Pending).

30 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Last word again Ian?

He finds it unbearable if he doesn't get it.

@Martin Kedian  , out of curiosity are you using the same kind of hinges as mine? IIRC they've got a machined stainless steel insert that forms the pivot/bearing surfaces plus a grease nipple, so they don't go stiff and bind up with rust -- yours look similar but painted over.

kedian door.jpg

side doors.jpg

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

People like you trying to provoke arguments all the time are one of the reasons that many people don't post on CWDF, or leave.

Why can't you just stick to the subject, as requested above? It's what I was doing...

You knew the subject would go off track when you nit picked about wide hatches not being able to close in a narrow lock and the problems, but you had to say it. Then you mentioned that you are getting extra wide hatches fitted to your boat, can you honestly not see how hypocritical that sounds? 
 Again with what you’ve put on above, with your comment “yours look similar but are painted over” seams like another little dig, depending how it’s perceived.

1 hour ago, Martin Kedian said:

Thank you 

Was it you that fitted a pair on a Narrow at Sheffield, under the Straddle a few month ago?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

15 minutes ago, IanD said:

@Martin Kedian  , out of curiosity are you using the same kind of hinges as mine? IIRC they've got a machined stainless steel insert that forms the pivot/bearing surfaces plus a grease nipple, so they don't go stiff and bind up with rust -- yours look similar but painted over.

kedian door.jpg

side doors.jpg

Similar they are stainless but have a brass washer and a grease nipple painted but not clogged up greased before fitting and recommend doing it spring and autumn 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Martin Kedian said:

Similar they are stainless but have a brass washer and a grease nipple painted but not clogged up greased before fitting and recommend doing it spring and autumn 

I know of boats without anything like that where over winter they became so stiff you could barely open them. Ours did one winter and it took a lot of faffing about (and penetrating oil!!) to get them moving again. Lesson learnt.

I also believe its not unknown for the spindle to snap and the hatch to disappear into the cut.