A good Idea? Could it be extended to all wide waterways?

Featured Posts

This may stem the invasion of the widebeams.

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Location: Bridge 24 Warwickshire Fly Boats, Long Itchington, Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 22, Bridleway
Ends At: Bridge 60, Blue Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Kingswood Junction
Down Stream Winding Hole: Napton Junction

Tuesday 27 June 2023 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Unfortunately movement of the towpath side waterway wall underneath this bridge has caused the canal width to reduce by 120mm, and so, for the foreseeable future,  we’re having to for the foreseeable future reduce maximum beam for navigation from the published 12’6” to 12’.

Following a detailed review of the options for repair, and thorough ground investigations and surveys, we have concluded that the benefits to customers are substantially outweighed by the costs of carrying out the works.

We have an ageing infrastructure, and we have to carefully prioritise our spend based on risk.  We will continue to monitor the bridge and particularly the narrows and, in the future, when we need to carry out any structural repairs to the bridge we will again consider widening of the narrows, and update you accordingly.  In the meantime, boats up to 12’6” can be winded at Napton Junction.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/25521/bridge-24-warwickshire-fly-boats-long-itchington-grand-union-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

I think spending less maintaining the wide waterways rather than keeping the full width is a great idea.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Location: Bridge 24 Warwickshire Fly Boats, Long Itchington, Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 22, Bridleway
Ends At: Bridge 60, Blue Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Kingswood Junction
Down Stream Winding Hole: Napton Junction

Tuesday 27 June 2023 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Unfortunately movement of the towpath side waterway wall underneath this bridge has caused the canal width to reduce by 120mm, and so, for the foreseeable future,  we’re having to for the foreseeable future reduce maximum beam for navigation from the published 12’6” to 12’.

Following a detailed review of the options for repair, and thorough ground investigations and surveys, we have concluded that the benefits to customers are substantially outweighed by the costs of carrying out the works.

We have an ageing infrastructure, and we have to carefully prioritise our spend based on risk.  We will continue to monitor the bridge and particularly the narrows and, in the future, when we need to carry out any structural repairs to the bridge we will again consider widening of the narrows, and update you accordingly.  In the meantime, boats up to 12’6” can be winded at Napton Junction.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/25521/bridge-24-warwickshire-fly-boats-long-itchington-grand-union-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

I think spending less maintaining the wide waterways rather than keeping the full width is a great idea.

We went through this last week and could see that somebody (CRT?) had cut the coping stones back with a concrete saw. It did look like a professional bodge job.
Not the type of kit you have in your average nb or wb tool kit.
Doing a proper repair job should not be compromised by vested interest.  carefully prioritise our spend based on risk.

Yes we all need more blue signs and less water depth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

On the face of it that's a good idea, but I think there are legal reasons why CRT are not able to reduce the given statutory dimensions. They can probably postpone repairs fairly indefinitely, but then we might end up with fleets of 12'6" boats moored semi-permanently either side of the narrows arguing that they are continuous cruisers waiting for the works to be done.  😀

Tam

12 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

On the face of it that's a good idea, but I think there are legal reasons why CRT are not able to reduce the given statutory dimensions. They can probably postpone repairs fairly indefinitely, but then we might end up with fleets of 12'6" boats moored semi-permanently either side of the narrows arguing that they are continuous cruisers waiting for the works to be done.  😀

Tam

I am guessing that would be particularly the case with the GU, which seamlessly transitioned from a working to a leisure waterway over a period of decades with no abandonment in between. Though my understanding is that the northern bit of the GU was always for narrowboats, not wide beams, just with wide locks to speed up pairs going through. Similar to the Chesterfield Canal below Retford. Different from say the western side of the Rochdale, abandoned for decades before restoration, where several locks have been squeezed to less than 14' beam, with no plans to restore their width to allow original size boats.

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I am guessing that would be particularly the case with the GU, which seamlessly transitioned from a working to a leisure waterway over a period of decades with no abandonment in between. Though my understanding is that the northern bit of the GU was always for narrowboats, not wide beams, just with wide locks to speed up pairs going through. Similar to the Chesterfield Canal below Retford. Different from say the western side of the Rochdale, abandoned for decades before restoration, where several locks have been squeezed to less than 14' beam, with no plans to restore their width.

Probably a good decision, but how would we feel if the same logic was applied to dredging and depth, or to fixing a subsided locks that prevented the passage of historic working boats?

The Rochdale is a bit different because it was not restored to its original width, and I doubt if there can be any obligation for restoration societies to meet the original design.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, enigmatic said:

does anyone actually cruise 12'6 boats on the GU?

No idea about now, but certainly the Grand Junction Carrying Company built the 12'6" wideboat Progress specifically for the purpose, and we were cruising it regularly at the time of the Fraenkel Report in the 60s when cruising waterway standards were established.

Edited by Tam & Di

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Probably a good decision, but how would we feel if the same logic was applied to dredging and depth, or to fixing a subsided locks that prevented the passage of historic working boats?

The Rochdale is a bit different because it was not restored to its original width, and I doubt if there can be any obligation for restoration societies to meet the original design.

It certainly has been regarding the paired locks on the T&M. They give the impression of abandoning any idea of repairing one as long as the other still works. Sooner or later they'll be officially filled in or blocked off - of course, some already have been.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2023 at 09:59, Tracy D'arth said:

I think that it already has!

On 28/06/2023 at 09:52, enigmatic said:

does anyone actually cruise 12'6 boats on the GU?

YES, One was moored just past the location where the bank had been cut away. 

I suspect it had been through on the way up with no problem however some form of bank movement had taken place between times.  We have all seen it happen on narrow canals.  
It is down to good maintenance, repairs need to be made before significant movement takes place.

Edited by oboat