Mooring my wide-beam in Somerset or Devon

Phil. Jones

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is ridiculous - the vast majority of coastal marinas we have used are in the £300 -£600 per metre per annum.

My current marina (North Wales) charge is £330 + VAT per metre per annum 

Same as Lowestoft as I had diner there last night and they even have a wide beam for sale. V bottom looks very strange out of the water when you look at the bows

42 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same as Lowestoft as I had diner there last night and they even have a wide beam for sale. V bottom looks very strange out of the water when you look at the bows

We actually looked at Lowestoft (but not the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club - anyway we would not have fitted in as we are too wide) the inner moorings / marina are transited via the boat scrapyard and not a pleasent outlook, but we put our name down for when a suitable sized mooring came up. By the time one became available we had a mooring in Hull marina so never took it up.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We actually looked at Lowestoft (but not the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club - anyway we would not have fitted in as we are too wide) the inner moorings / marina are transited via the boat scrapyard and not a pleasent outlook, but we put our name down for when a suitable sized mooring came up. By the time one became available we had a mooring in Hull marina so never took it up.

This was by thethirdcrossing.co.uk an unfortunate name as now there nearly is one

3 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Between Appledore and Bideford the coast path goes past the end of our road. 🤔

I look forward to that bit as it's one of the easier bits (pretty flat), the bit I've recently done, Bude to Hartland (Clovelly) is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest)💦.

27 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I look forward to that bit as it's one of the easier bits (pretty flat), the bit I've recently done, Bude to Hartland (Clovelly) is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest)💦.

Don't forget the bit round Ilfracombe Lynmouth etc that's not in the least easy.

• 1 month later...
On 16/06/2023 at 08:44, Tony Brooks said:

I suppose a fatty would take to the mud better thatnmany other shapes, but there seems to be a question about how readily it would refloat as each tide come in.

For anyone looking, don't be put off of half tide mud berths. A friend of mine lives on his 60' X 14" widebeam 'fatty narrowboat' and has done so for some 12 years with no problems at all. His boat sits on the stickiest, glupiest Essex mud you can imagine, the sort that will steal your Welly boots if you attempt to walk through it. His boat settles into this mud and sits there for 8 hours out of every 12, then, when the water returns, accompanied occasionally by a intriguing sucking noise, the boat gently rises over the following couple of hours several feet with the rising tide; it is never held down by suction.

Yes, you do need to change your anodes to zinc and if subsequent dry docking or craning is going to be difficult, the expense of coating the hull with a two pack glass flake epoxy will pay dividends over future years. 

One advantage with a soft bed of mud, is that glass flake epoxy won't get scratched off as it might when cruising the cut. I know of two coastal barges coated with the product which, after 15 years show no signs of degradation.

Mud berths are often cheap, sometimes very, although possibly not in the West Country. The surroundings and wildlife can be fantastic, so I'd suggest well worth considering.

S

Hi Rosie,

Still pursuing this.  I have spent hours looking and pondering. The Kennet & Avon does have loads on bank area to tie up. Permanent, residential moorings are few and far between. If available, when you you further South West the costs can be ridiculously expensive. Once I can eventually secure something I will sing loudly….after a few beers. Kind regards

Hi Phil, thanks for your response. I've been living on the River Avon for the last 2.5 years. Everyone says that moorings are hard to come by here but in my experience that simply hasn't been the case...perseverance and friendliness go a long way. I've had 4 temporary moorings and now I have a permanent spot on the riverside. good luck with your search! 

• Love 1

• 2 months later...