Southam to Leeds, a viable journey?

Mark R

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I agree.  Sadly there is rather less traffic now, on our 2021 trip down to Hull we didn't see a single ship moving, nor hear a single bit of traffic info on the radio.

Perhaps it was a Sunday?

https://www.humber.com/Estuary_Information/#:~:text=With this combination of benefits,international shipping movements each year.

image.png.26fda5d5a602b7daa2b6c1ecb8a83904.png

I've just done the journey in a 60' narrowboat. We went North Oxford, Coventry, Trent and Mersey, Bridgewater and Leeds and Liverpool. We did it in 2 stages, 1 week to Middlewich (5 adults plus a child), then 10 days Middlewich to Leeds with 7 adults on board. We had time to go up the Rufford Branch of the L&L too. Lots of restricted opening times on the L&L, and lots of swing bridges which are prone to breaking down. We got held up once by  a broken swing bridge, but only for a few hours. Then I had to leave the boat at Rodley on the edge of Leeds because of a leaking stern gland (prop shaft needs replacing ☹️).

Edited by Farey

• 2 weeks later...

It’s probably asking a lot for the OP to go up the tidal Trent for a first journey singlehanded when unfamiliar with their boat

The “easiest “ journey in the circumstances is probably up the Leeds and Liverpool and try to do the L&L and Grand Union double locks with another boat if possible to give confidence and enable the OP to learn tips. It’s much easier with another boat too. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It’s probably asking a lot for the OP to go up the tidal Trent for a first journey singlehanded when unfamiliar with their boat

The “easiest “ journey in the circumstances is probably up the Leeds and Liverpool and try to do the L&L and Grand Union double locks with another boat if possible to give confidence and enable the OP to learn tips. It’s much easier with another boat too. 

Skipton section of L&L needs the other boat with you at all times if singlehanded because the swing bridges range from difficult even for experienced singlehanders to completely impossible without another boat (I guess, if not in a hurry, you could wait around at them for another boat to come along). It's also got water shortages shutting parts of it at the moment. A very pretty canal though

Having had to drop my original Huddersfield Narrow plan and cancel my Rochdale crossing in the last few days, I think the Trent has a lot to recommend it!

5 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Skipton section of L&L needs the other boat with you at all times if singlehanded because the swing bridges range from difficult even for experienced singlehanders to completely impossible without another boat (I guess, if not in a hurry, you could wait around at them for another boat to come along). It's also got water shortages shutting parts of it at the moment. A very pretty canal though

Having had to drop my original Huddersfield Narrow plan and cancel my Rochdale crossing in the last few days, I think the Trent has a lot to recommend it!

I'm going to be in the same boat (except with four people on board) in September (Sheffield==>Middlewich), it'll be pot luck if any of the three Pennine crossings will be open -- Trent is the last resort if they're all closed... 😞

29 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Wasn't aware I'd offered my boat to you and your crew in September :) 

You won't like the boring, normal rudder anyway.

Or the noise. Or the smell.

(diesel, not you...)