Yanmar genuine fuel pump

Featured Posts

Hello all,

been having engine issues for weeks now, where it sometimes stalls through fuel starvation. finally found it’s the fuel pump intermittently working (got it going yesterday by taping a spanner on it for example and was good for a few hours). Took the pump off and found there’s no electrical continuity between the terminals so I guess it’s knackered?

the engine is a Barrus Shire/Yanmar 3TNV82A and the fuel pump is part 129612-52100.

been looking for a replacement and I can either get a Yanmar genuine pump for over £100 or a generic one for about £20.

example of a cheapo one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132492169784?hash=item1ed9261238:g:8rkAAOSwSuNadNBG&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8HGWnJ3iuWkS6Jpw0dW3XwCjKsHcyfkzASMqdoYOCTu2CeW6EnCSzZqsVzcwpkbv6kOqqgMBPeeTMeUWgIwpv93XtwnvIRaZx7nMUfsoJsLOS3jkrwxPZGt%2FYMNjD8Xj2B3YcdJyJhfoYl9%2Bqtgk8Dp8lhQC9ynYedcjSJ3L6KKKxtP7m4LwVn8qEBq%2FboKA4B5uQxV1htWVZEAROCPEgHVnhSWLAgPCZKAR25Yt%2B%2BedJe9t0Z9lTcYljEJhx92QKDt1f49rhg5g7bVtzNF1OaHNVbhdTlZjIeTE9uDLxi3y8DaAk%2BBKdRcbLwp7xeRAKg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_C75pCHYg

example of a genuine part

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274102119146?hash=item3fd1c26aea:g:QnEAAOSwihtd0oct&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwOJYf3P9FLfCSSEjtGbP0g1lELCyhhRQORnNkcEBtbGJWVHAjkGjtiBFhVHt5%2FAxN%2FAvNsfGj95pbWKtf7jJ7I4rl%2F2Cm7HwyHeCaTKcT222he3y2IOpI28ExiTO%2F63I4tYv2qO%2FqVJTYRBSZAs4q%2BA8pk7syGEAYTmhezPU06chDINI6DOI1JKHXrUtYoGc%2FX9vFqg%2FLr%2BhItgQDcqmlwd6tRy8AcziQXfyRMK8%2BqV3s7OClECpL%2FNwdG9bA5t%2F4A%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_TU1ZGHYg

The cynic in me thinks the genuine part is made in the same factory as the cheapo one and there’s very little difference so my question is would you go for the expensive genuine part or will the cheapo one be just as good?

many thanks

They look identical; there is a Yanmar label on the cheapo one. If you look along the other suggestions on ebay, there is one for £8:50.

If the old one works when you tap it, sounds like it is jammed. Do you have a fliter before it?

A friend recently cut open the failed genuine pump on my spare (now sold) 3TNV82A.

Its was difficult to imagine it being made any cheaper than it appeared!

Edited by Eeyore
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for the reply, No filter as far as I know (tank >fuel cock> T piece to feed eber> pump then onto the 2 filters.) The tank ran quite low over a month ago so I think it’s related to that. This morning I switched the ignition on and it didn’t come on, so tapped it again and brought it to life then tapped it again and stopped so it can’t be trusted.

I’m on the HNC and about to do rivers soon and the tidal Ouse so I’d rather have it kaput now and stick a new one in then get it working by tapping on the canal then for it to stop again on a river. If I was just on canals I’d be a little more relaxed about this.

6 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

A friend recently cut open the failed genuine pump on my spare (now sold) 3TNV82A.

Its was difficult to imagine it being made any cheaper than it appeared!

Thanks for the reply. Yea that’s what the the cynic says to me, I’m erring on the cheapo one, after all I imagine it’s just an electric motor and diaphragms?

3 minutes ago, n-baj said:

Thanks for the reply, No filter as far as I know (tank >fuel cock> T piece to feed eber> pump then onto the 2 filters.) The tank ran quite low over a month ago so I think it’s related to that. This morning I switched the ignition on and it didn’t come on, so tapped it again and brought it to life then tapped it again and stopped so it can’t be trusted.

I’m on the HNC and about to do rivers soon and the tidal Ouse so I’d rather have it kaput now and stick a new one in then get it working by tapping on the canal then for it to stop again on a river. If I was just on canals I’d be a little more relaxed about this.

Thanks for the reply. Yea that’s what the the cynic says to me, I’m erring on the cheapo one, after all I imagine it’s just an electric motor and diaphragms?

I would buy 2 cheap ones for peace of mind.

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, n-baj said:

The lack of a filter between the tank and pump will be an issue, you'll probably get the same problem with a new pump; and maybe the heater fuel pump as well. 

Time to get down the hole and have a look.

Something like this has a filter fitted (under the bayonet fitting cap at one end), might be the cheaper option if you can't find a filter fitted elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173328613060?hash=item285b30bec4:g:KsYAAOSwK9lfae06&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwADP0N9Bz77q13BDaGAgz9teEAeqspFB05iw%2F7YdNVwZ0rVCOvySsKeJMlyk9fz7Q2P3T6E36Sr4ANZGNPHMZp3RfRB115ZPkZGaGg%2F02o32ukrxls5jb6IYk0f5lqMGapR05oyy%2FwUQON5rP46TnJEfyZHKbKN5Dpoe3FVv%2FKtyBsq1C%2BaryPlP5ZVnBDo5F2abEKxr7rbKgZtLm0FFXe8DzuFiuCjCYMVSpgkToQMAHwVLwrD6zSsON44l15kpfw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6bt7ZSHYg

Edited by Eeyore
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, n-baj said:

been looking for a replacement and I can either get a Yanmar genuine pump for over £100 or a generic one for about £20.

Not in the UK but since most everything is imported I will assume you have the same issues there.

I work on a few cars and boats and the quality of replacement aftermarket parts is terrible.  It is not uncommon for brand new parts to not work of fail shortly after being installed.  Aftermarket brands are the worst!  I am to the point I gladly pay for the factory replacements because the quality is better.

Me, I would buy the factory replacement.  While I agree that factory replacement parts are high, overpriced even.  There is a reason the aftermarket part is $20 too.

Many thanks for all replies.

I’ll go with Tracy’s suggestion of getting 2 cheapo which I’ll explain later. If they don’t last long then I’ll go with genuine. Cheapest genuine  is a little over £100 with some marine shops charging about £250! (Marine mark up).

I’ve gone with cheapo because cheapo offer click and collect and as a full time liveaboard cc’er with no car I tend to gravitate towards click and collect for obvious reasons.

the other reason is that I’ve opened up the old pump and it’s a very simple design, it’s essentially a electromagnet with a valve and spring in the middle, so when power is applied the core moves forward pushing the diesel through then when the coil powers down the the spring pushes the core back to fill up with diesel from the tank. The small pcb with half a dozen diodes, capacitors and small chip pulsates the electric through the coil many times a second to pump the diesel. I assumed diaphragms would be involved but it isn’t. 

with such a simple design I figured the genuine part uses the same pcb components and similar copper wire, valve, etc as el cheapo, the only major difference being the outer casing is probably made of a cheaper metal. This is just my assessment and I might be writing complete rubbish. 

as it happens I tested the continuity of the half a dozen components on the pcb and a diode has no continuity (swapped the probes around to make sure) so I’m putting it down to component failure rather then the pump getting clogged up with stuff from the tank however I am thinking of putting a simple inline universal filter of a relatively large porosity such as this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253242030155?hash=item3af666b84b:g:XtgAAOSwI1Jc5G5K&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8O6MEttwuVdehdZtSXWesTatDHsOPNsOc9TCP1LsRlx0uITYuJB6UlEMbQu0KtHHCoPxdHV06j7RxVtGSIpL81AXWEHNISugasRkTCaUlcwPZr6ppziOezIVZ%2BfAN%2Bow6fw8JFIFNe%2FecM8WdWZtQNajNqhLzx6ePcWZjo6Gaqnh%2BkiztePvrvP0oc%2BEts1tvOJ6aqk31fS243ezo7b8y2eF60l42lHnWMBdo2LZ0D8DxfIECoVlUvjptWQnhUMs0u1PZ8GMCLxhXF2ODFq7l2tE1NU5r2v5Bp%2BRy9tLnq3tLH6fc%2FwMw0qt31vLPx0oHA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4iD5qGHYg

I’d want the filter to be large porosity as I don’t want such a small filter to do all of the work of the primary and secondary filter plus I think the pump isn’t going to be fussy with very fine particulates in the diesel. I’ve had a quick look at the bs and cannot see having that filter is a failure but I could be wrong?

Also if anybody is interested here a picture of the innards of a fuel pump

96FF2226-7886-463C-81EA-178885B22791.jpeg

1 hour ago, n-baj said:

I’d want the filter to be large porosity as I don’t want such a small filter to do all of the work of the primary and secondary filter plus I think the pump isn’t going to be fussy with very fine particulates in the diesel. I’ve had a quick look at the bs and cannot see having that filter is a failure but I could be wrong?

If you have a primary filter it is usually between tank and pump, that is probably why you found nothing inside the pump. In my view, if the primary is a filter (agglomerator) there should be no need for another one.

I would be interested in how it pumps if it has no valves. I accept the armature could act as an inlet valve by closing of a port, but I don't see how it could act as a delivery valve.

2 hours ago, n-baj said:

I am thinking of putting a simple inline universal filter of a relatively large porosity such as this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253242030155?hash=item3af666b84b:g:XtgAAOSwI1Jc5G5K&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8O6MEttwuVdehdZtSXWesTatDHsOPNsOc9TCP1LsRlx0uITYuJB6UlEMbQu0KtHHCoPxdHV06j7RxVtGSIpL81AXWEHNISugasRkTCaUlcwPZr6ppziOezIVZ%2BfAN%2Bow6fw8JFIFNe%2FecM8WdWZtQNajNqhLzx6ePcWZjo6Gaqnh%2BkiztePvrvP0oc%2BEts1tvOJ6aqk31fS243ezo7b8y2eF60l42lHnWMBdo2LZ0D8DxfIECoVlUvjptWQnhUMs0u1PZ8GMCLxhXF2ODFq7l2tE1NU5r2v5Bp%2BRy9tLnq3tLH6fc%2FwMw0qt31vLPx0oHA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4iD5qGHYg

The glass body would be a BSS failure, as would the ends if they are plastic.

• 10 months later...

I can confirm that the cheapo pumps are complete rubbish. Had a fuel starved engine in October after about 200 hours ish since that post but got it going again and again a few days ago with 60 hours added.

The latest breakdown I swapped with the spare (many thanks to Tracy D’arth for suggesting to get a spare, had guests on the boat who never been on a narrowboat before so it was only an hours delay rather than a cancelled cruise). Now I’ve put a facet posi-flo on and hopefully that will last for years.

kicking myself for buying cheap, hey ho lesson learned 😃