Anchor rope size

Strettonman

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I take it you missed the tester making the point that they had tested the Stainless Steel version which is many, many time more expensive than the Galvanised.

I paid £30 secondhand for mine.

New - the 11kg Beugel is £104.99, the 14kg is £120.99, 16kg £131.99

The Beugel came 3rd (next behind the Kobra) in the test compariaons.

Since its introduction, the Bügel Anchor has been in service world-wide under extreme conditions and proved to be a superb all-around anchor. The ability to quickly set and hold in the most difficult sea bottoms such as mud, clay, shale, gravel, rock and grass is the most appreciated strong point of this truly universal anchor. The WASI GTS (Ground Tackle System) includes a patented anchor-to-chain connectors ("Power Ball") which are German Lloyd's certified with guaranteed higher tensile strength than the mated chain.
From its construction, the bow anchor is simple and very robust. It consists of a plane, almost triangular, fluke with a hollow bow and a long solid shank at which the anchor chain is attached. The shank is welded to the fluke in a well defined - and patented - angle. The anchor has no complicated parts and no movable joints making it robust and simple to manufacture.
Its stiff shape and sharp fluke point, however, make it hard to stow and also may damage the bow gelcoat while the anchor swings from the bow roller on a short length of chain during heaving or lowering. This may be handled with extended bow rollers.

I'm not sure what your point is Alan, apart from arguing for the sake of it -- you've pretty much repeated what I said but in a confrontational way. I'm not going to argue with you... 🙂

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

....  in the test it came out a little worse than the Kobra and was *way* more expensive (new) -- and as Alan says, difficult to stow on a narrowboat. Which is very different to sailing around the world in deep waters... 😉

Ah - you did miss the fact it was stainless, but have to try and save face by claiming I'm being confrontational !

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ah - you did miss the fact it was stainless, but have to try and save face by claiming I'm being confrontational !

OK, you win, you can have the last word. Happy now? 😉

Edited by IanD

Its quite interesting to note that in France there are lots of wiers that have no protection what so ever. So if you get into trouble at those sites you are stuffed if anchorless.

Pretty typical of their pragmatic approach to H&S.