calorifier

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Scooter36 said:

Its 1 1/2 inch,  was hoping it was for a immersion,  new calorifier, cost loads!

Will look at 12v ones too, see if it will fit, 

Thanks

Look up Essex Flange, that would allow you to cut a new hole and fit an immersion heater.

24 minutes ago, Scooter36 said:

Its 1 1/2 inch,  was hoping it was for a immersion,  new calorifier, cost loads!

Will look at 12v ones too, see if it will fit, 

Thanks

It will most likely be a BSP pipe thread - the nominal bsp size is smaller than the thread. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe for the detail.

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe a 12v one like this ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354386232220

IMG_20230413_144401.thumb.jpg.79b985e9ab31b802d024c835ed623c78.jpg

That ad quotes different thread sizes in the text and pictures!

33 minutes ago, Scooter36 said:

Bugger, then a new calorifier, or Wallis heater,

Thanks

No, cut around it and fit an Essex dome flange.  This one is standard 2 1/4" BSP for a standard immersion element.

https://www.bes.co.uk/2-1-4in-bsp-female-outlet-brass-domed-fixing-12267/

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Probably 3/4 bsp, which is too small for an immersion heater.

Worth investigating further before assuming 

https://gbr.grandado.com/products/dernord-sus304-120v-750w-electric-immersion-cartridge-heater-heating-element-with-1-2-npt-thread?variant=UHJvZHVjdFZhcmlhbnQ6ODI5OTM1OTg&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwq2xmLin_gIV09_tCh0mGABEEAQYAiABEgIIO_D_BwE

1/2npt thread which is about 16mm. 750w heating element "cartidge type". 

I think there may be something which will go in there with a bit more digging for information.

IF it is a NPT not a BSP maybe this is was for a furrin thing of some sort. 

This one 

194589380.jpg

The one I linked to earlier is also "Dernord" it seems they make an extensive range of stainless steel cartridge type immersion heaters. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Worth investigating further before assuming 

https://gbr.grandado.com/products/dernord-sus304-120v-750w-electric-immersion-cartridge-heater-heating-element-with-1-2-npt-thread?variant=UHJvZHVjdFZhcmlhbnQ6ODI5OTM1OTg&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwq2xmLin_gIV09_tCh0mGABEEAQYAiABEgIIO_D_BwE

1/2npt thread which is about 16mm. 750w heating element "cartidge type". 

I think there may be something which will go in there with a bit more digging for information.

IF it is a NPT not a BSP maybe this is was for a furrin thing of some sort. 

This one 

194589380.jpg

I think that these slim elements lack a thermostat and a safety over heat cut-out. Very dangerous on a pressurised system such as in a boat  to use without both these thermostats.

• Greenie 1

Maybe that is why it is no longer fitted. 

I assumed there would be a prv on there somewhere. 

I think with a DIY arrangement and a relaxed attitude it could work but you are right to point out this problem..

Thank you. 

Measure the outside diameter of the thread and the number of threads per inch to check the thread.

It does look like 3/4 bsp though.

You can buy stainless steel  industrial heaters this size in various lengths, voltage and wattages but they do require a separate on/off temperature control system.

I think that you could use a strap on pipe thermostat ( drayton, honeywell ? ) for this purpose on the upstand pipe for the  heater. Alternative would be a capillary thermostat ( capillary with 2 straps to upstand and fully lagged ) safely mounted in an electrical enclosure box.

In both cases check current ratings and wire with high temperature cabling etc.

Ask if you want more info

1 hour ago, adrianh said:

Measure the outside diameter of the thread and the number of threads per inch to check the thread.

It does look like 3/4 bsp though.

You can buy stainless steel  industrial heaters this size in various lengths, voltage and wattages but they do require a separate on/off temperature control system.

I think that you could use a strap on pipe thermostat ( drayton, honeywell ? ) for this purpose on the upstand pipe for the  heater. Alternative would be a capillary thermostat ( capillary with 2 straps to upstand and fully lagged ) safely mounted in an electrical enclosure box.

In both cases check current ratings and wire with high temperature cabling etc.

Ask if you want more info

Thanks, will look in to that