Limit of navigation on the Montgomery

harleyj

Featured Posts

We were down the Monty last November, the new section down to Crickheath wharf was completed and re watered as we were there, but the team doing the restoration said that it wouldn’t be open for navigation until Easter. So the limit is as you say, still at Gronwyn bridge. We winded and moored at the navigation inn and walked down to see the new section.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting an old topic but I can confirm it's open as of last week, came through Frankton this morning and the lockie told us we could go all the way through to Crickheath Wharf, as long as we didn't mind the weed. Lovely moorings put in and a bonus of really good 5g! I'll put some pics up later when I've shrunk them down to size.

• Greenie 1

On 20/03/2023 at 08:06, harleyj said:

On our last trip down the Montgomery in 2021, we could only go as far as Gronwen Bridge. Has any more of the canal between there and Pant been reopened?

Last time I went down the Monty was before 2021 and I made it as far as Pryce's Bridge.  Had to reverse back out though.

Edited by doratheexplorer

Good to see the new section open, I look forward to getting down there.  I have seen some stuff on Facebook about the next section to be restored and that might be much simpler than this one as it has not been subject to subsidence, I don’t know if that will take it to the Welsh border.  Has the work started on the Welsh section that was awarded funding from the government?

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Good to see the new section open, I look forward to getting down there.  I have seen some stuff on Facebook about the next section to be restored and that might be much simpler than this one as it has not been subject to subsidence, I don’t know if that will take it to the Welsh border.  Has the work started on the Welsh section that was awarded funding from the government?

We walked down a bit and chatted to one of the volunteers (who was shocked to see boats on the moorings as nobody had told him it was open!). They're working on rebuilding bridge 86 now, but they have a slight issue with a badger sett in the middle of that next section at the moment. But they've definitely started on the top end clearance.

• Greenie 1