Securing a deck board

Featured Posts

On my trad stern boat, the two boards over the engine lie horizontally and can be lifted to access the top of the engine. They lie on wooden supports of 3x2 timber.

So far so good. But I'd like to add a latch to each board to secure it better (reduce vibration noise) and also make it easier to lift. I have considered these type of flush deck latches in stainless illustrated. Elegant but they seem an awful lot to secure two 120cm X 50cm pieces of phenolic ply (18mm). Is there a simpler way? I've searched Screwfix et al for latch and catch. Even after perusing 20 of the 50 pages available it doesn't seems there's anything simple, such as a rotary catch operated by poking a hex key through a hole in the board, which can be locked to tighten the board seating.

617P4ivMgVS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Edited by Puffling

38 minutes ago, Puffling said:

On my trad stern boat, the two boards over the engine lie horizontally and can be lifted to access the top of the engine. They lie on wooden supports of 3x2 timber.

So far so good. But I'd like to add a latch to each board to secure it better (reduce vibration noise) and also make it easier to lift. I have considered these type of flush deck latches in stainless illustrated. Elegant but they seem an awful lot to secure two 120cm X 50cm pieces of phenolic ply (18mm). Is there a simpler way? I've searched Screwfix et al for latch and catch. Even after perusing 20 of the 50 pages available it doesn't seems there's anything simple, such as a rotary catch operated by poking a hex key through a hole in the board, which can be locked to tighten the board seating.

617P4ivMgVS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Where did you find those particular latches? I've been looking for something similar, but a lot of the cheap "stainless steel" ones are nothing of the sort, they're nasty weak cast zinc (Mazak?) which all look identical in photos -- finding genuine stainless steel ones is difficult... 😞

(a lot of the ones which claim to be obviously aren't, they're all identical and from the same cheapo factory in China -- and TBH I'm not sure about the ones in your photo...)

Edited by IanD

16 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Have you tried searching for cam locks

Yes I have. They seem to be suited to locking drawers or cabinets with keys.

10 minutes ago, Ken X said:

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

Compartment or tongue latch with square drive handle to operate.

https://ajw-veh-fittings.co.uk/product/large-heavy-duty-126mm-universal-budget-lock-door-latch/

A little closer, but the operating spindle needs a much bigger hole than I wanted.

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Where did you find those particular latches? I've been looking for something similar, but a lot of the cheap "stainless steel" ones are nothing of the sort, they're nasty weak cast zinc (Mazak?) which all look identical in photos -- finding genuine stainless steel ones is difficult... 😞

(a lot of the ones which claim to be obviously aren't, they're all identical and from the same cheapo factory in China -- and TBH I'm not sure about the ones in your photo...)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092QMBR8T

Of course, may be of the lower quality steel you refer to. As my trad stern has an undercover engine, corrosion resistant isn't high on my list.

10 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Yes I have. They seem to be suited to locking drawers or cabinets with keys.

A little closer, but the operating spindle needs a much bigger hole than I wanted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092QMBR8T

Of course, may be of the lower quality steel you refer to. As my trad stern has an undercover engine, corrosion resistant isn't high on my list.

Indeed, and they're not even steel -- did you spot the contradiction?

"Boat Hatch Latch Pull,RoadLoo 2Pcs Slam Latch Stainless Steel"

and below:

"★High-quality materials: The boat hatch latch pull is made of zinc alloy material,which is sturdy,durable,anti-corrosive and does not rust.Long time to use."

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Indeed, and they're not even steel -- did you spot the contradiction?

"Boat Hatch Latch Pull,RoadLoo 2Pcs Slam Latch Stainless Steel"

and below:

"★High-quality materials: The boat hatch latch pull is made of zinc alloy material,which is sturdy,durable,anti-corrosive and does not rust.Long time to use."

Damn!

They are certainly cheap, though. Lumpy water chandlers have them in what appears to be genuine stainless (caveat emptor) for £35+ per latch.

What about a fender eye and make a wire hook to pick it up with.

https://marinestore.co.uk/fender-eye-socket-brass-n-70040.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMnY7q_M_QIVBbTtCh11JQQzEAQYBSABEgIgL_D_BwE

Screenshot2023-03-08at12-54-51FenderEyeSocket-Brass.png.fc8bb7a346f10ea9a70b14c0219248eb.png

And a window rack lock separately arranged beneath the board to hold it closed.

whc459.jpg?t=1673435605

Just random thoughts.

18 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Thanks for that. Those look more like the item I had in mind. Simple and unobtrusive. What's also important is their mounting hole is 20mm instead of the 50-60 a hatch latch typically needs.

ETA: I'm still left with a way to lift each board, but I'm banking on there being enough interference friction from the square operating handle. @magnetman  's idea of a fender eye is neat, but I'd like to keep the drilling of each board to a minimum.

ppic-00757765.jpg

Edited by Puffling

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

If you just want a lifting hook this would be better:

1665P_P?wid=290&hei=276&dpr=on

https://www.screwfix.com/p/carlisle-brass-flush-ring-pull-63mm-polished-brass/1665p

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

If you just want a lifting hook this would be better:

1665P_P?wid=290&hei=276&dpr=on

https://www.screwfix.com/p/carlisle-brass-flush-ring-pull-63mm-polished-brass/1665p

I've used those. Don't like them at all for somewhere people are walking. They fill up with grit and the handle sticks up then it gets kicked and breaks off. Once the handle is broken the thing is useless.