Black Country Ales

Featured Posts

following on from another thread,

I thought this was worthy of a thread if it’s own, and we can never have enough threads about boozers 

Black Country Ales have something close to 50 pubs now 👍

They took over the Prince of Wales in Birmingham, I’ve mixed feelings about that, but I think I like it. 

I don’t normally ‘do’ chains but these are all right. In this time of the decline of the pub they’re doing a cracking top job keeping the traditional pub going. 

Well kept Beer is usually a choice from a dozen flavours and all (I think) under £4 including the over 5%ers and the cobs are as big as your head. 
They seem to be busy most of the time. 

(there’s apparently one in Tipton I need to find)

anyone else use them?

or avoid them?

Were you with us when we had to negotiate for twenty minutes to get the dog into the Black Country Arms in Walsall?

It was a while ago and is all a bit of a blurr 😀.

My daughter who is/was a teacher has accidentally become a landlady, I was trying to persuade her to move from Bristol to the Black Country to get a proper pub.😀

If you look at their website they are looking for people to run their pubs, they say doing food is optional but cobs are a required essential.

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes, it was when we were on the BCN Explorer in 2013.

We had a ramble in to town. 
I remember they were dead friendly and you had a Cury in there.

The Black Country Ale pubs I’ve been in since are dog friendly. 

Ten years ago!

We had a good veggy curry for not much money at all.

I remember a plan to start at one end of the bar and work along through the handpumps, but failing dismally.

We had to give the landlady a detailed description of the dog, via her daughter, before she was allowed in, maybe they had had trouble with bad dogs?

Another of theirs, the Craven Arms in Gough Street (behind The Mailbox) is worth a visit in the city centre. With the demise of The Woodman it has become my go-to place for a quiet pint before/after an afternoon of disappointment & disillusionment at Villa Park.

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, dmr said:

Were you with us when we had to negotiate for twenty minutes to get the dog into the Black Country Arms in Walsall?

It was a while ago and is all a bit of a blurr 😀.

My daughter who is/was a teacher has accidentally become a landlady, I was trying to persuade her to move from Bristol to the Black Country to get a proper pub.😀

If you look at their website they are looking for people to run their pubs, they say doing food is optional but cobs are a required essential.

They have another one in Walsall, The Pretty Bricks. Very much a back street boozer 

7 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

They have another one in Walsall, The Pretty Bricks. Very much a back street boozer 

If you look at their website they now have a lot of pubs over quite a wide area, proving my theory that you can make money out of drinking pubs as long as they are good and do not have a greedy pubco taking the profits.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, sigsegv said:

Had quite a few black country ales in the Windmill Inn in Rugby last night. Really decent beers, I was a huge fan. My head this morning disagrees, but I'll definitely be seeking them out again

I like the Fireside and the BFG.

oooh and the pork and stuffing sandwich, they’d ran out of cobs so did mine on thick sliced tiger bread, was fantastic 🤤 😋 

6 hours ago, dmr said:

If you look at their website they now have a lot of pubs over quite a wide area, proving my theory that you can make money out of drinking pubs as long as they are good and do not have a greedy pubco taking the profits.

are not Black Country ales a pubco (def: a company that owns a group of pubs - Cambridge Dictionary)? Or do you mean that they are not a greedy pubco?

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

are not Black Country ales a pubco (def: a company that owns a group of pubs - Cambridge Dictionary)? Or do you mean that they are not a greedy pubco?

They are not a greedy pubco,, but Im pretty sure that they are a brewery too. Brewery owned pubs are ok because the brewery needs its pubs to succeed to sell the beer. The greedy pubcos are really property investors.

20 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yes, it was when we were on the BCN Explorer in 2013.

We had a ramble in to town. 
I remember they were dead friendly and you had a Cury in there.

The Black Country Ale pubs I’ve been in since are dog friendly. 

It wasn't the dog that was the problem it was vegetarians 🙃

• Happy 1