Taking a narrowboat to Europe ?

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Shared the day going through a few locks with this elderly chap last year. Asked him about his boat and he said he bought it in 95 and it had been in Europe for the last 23 years (or so). I guess Brexit  (and the fact that he was 81!) meant he had brought it back to the UK. I didn't find this out until we shared the last lock of the day together - would have been fascinating to hear what/where he had been and done.

Anyhow, it got me thinking about what you can do now ?

From the quick bit of research it looks like you can take a boat into Europe for 18 months max before you have to leave (but think you might be able to re-enter again quite quickly for another 18).

But as a person it's only 90 days out of every 180. Maybe a six month visa in France ?

Is anybody touring Europe currently?

Anybody know of any good links/websites/channels where people are doing this ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Shared the day going through a few locks with this elderly chap last year. Asked him about his boat and he said he bought it in 95 and it had been in Europe for the last 23 years (or so). I guess Brexit  (and the fact that he was 81!) meant he had brought it back to the UK. I didn't find this out until we shared the last lock of the day together - would have been fascinating to hear what/where he had been and done.

From the quick bit of research it looks like you can take a boat into Europe for 18 months max before you have to leave (but think you might be able to re-enter again quite quickly for another 18).

But as a person it's only 90 days out of every 180. Maybe a six month visa in France ?

Is anybody touring Europe currently?

Anybody know of any good links/websites/channels where people are doing this ?

Depending on the boat, your biggest problem might be getting across the Channel, not what happens on the other side... 😉

I believe there are also Brexit related tax and paperwork requirements for "importing" the boat now...

If I was going to tour Europe and its wider canals, I'd pick something wider than my narrowboat anyway tbh. Think we see more Dutch cruisers and barges over here than narrowboats over there.

Was it nb Temujin? If so, here's a link to some of their extensive blog. http://narrowboattemujin.blogspot.com/  By the way, if your boat is 20m or over, you won't be able to meet the European Es-Trin regs. and your boat will be impounded if the authorities see you. The Brexit 3 month rules also now impact on how long you can stay as do the VAT that could now be chargeable when you bring your boat back. 

13 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

It was that :

The boat could only stay for 18 months before it had to be registered with the French (or wherever) authorities, I think you can only spend 90 days per annum in the EU.

But speak with the RYA who will give you the actual legal position rather than relying on some random bloke on the internet (who may have a boat in France, but is not complying with the laws - 'keeping their head down')

4 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

put duck tape over the moths of the audience.

Such cruelty to lepidoptera will arouse the wrath of the R.S.P.C.A.

Please do not make any further primarily political posts in this topic. 

• Greenie 2

To correct a misapprehension stated in one of the hidden posts:

One member said that "political remarks are not allowed, whether off the cuff or not".

This is not true. It is primarily political posts which we don't allow. A topic about taking boats to a foreign country is bound to include references which could be seen as political - customs and tax regulations for example. But the bulk of the topic is about boats, which is in order.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Two classic examples of disagreements in the politics section and personal dislike that festers there spilling over into other threads.

You should take the feedback onboard and look within, because in this case, at least, you started it. I suggest in future you don't. You might then find your experience here becomes a happier one.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Willonaboat said:

You should take the feedback onboard and look within, because in this case, at least, you started it. I suggest in future you don't. You might then find your experience here becomes a happier one.

See above.

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

See above.

So carry on regardless and keep antagonising people, with predictable results.

I looked for a Block This User button but I guess the Ignore function is the same. You're the first and I hope the last person I will Ignore. Bye.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Willonaboat said:

I looked for a Block This User button but I guess the Ignore function is the same. You're the first and I hope the last person I will Ignore. Bye.

TTFN. 

3 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

M_JG has form for doing this, repeatedly provoking arguments and then blaming the other person who has the temerity to push back at him.

Welcome to the "Ignore M_JG" club 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

You should take the feedback onboard and look within, because in this case, at least, you started it.

This is not true.

MJG's post contained sound practical information which was relevant to the topic. You jumped on his post and launched into an otiose political rant. Your intention appears to be to pick a fight where no fight exists.

Please don't.

4 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

Please do not join the group of " Ignore button users " you are better than that. I have found that people who use the ignore button do it as they are unable to respond during discussion and are invariably bigots. Martin can indeed provoke a response in a vacuum :) but in the main is fair.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

Blimey - not too sure what has been going on here !

Anyhow, looks complicated - you'd be in and out of Europe regularly, your boat would be there for 18 months max (unless you paid tax and imported it ?).

Or you just buy a boat already in the EU but again you would be in and out personally for half the time.

Looks like it's just a bit cocked up for us now.....

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

M_JG has form for doing this, repeatedly provoking arguments and then blaming the other person who has the temerity to push back at him.

Welcome to the "Ignore M_JG" club 😉

Why are you cluttering this thread up with your continued personal attack, after the last lot was removed?

You really are unbelievable.

14 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

It's a lot more complicated now than it used to be for sure. And without getting political this was inevitable.

We have friends who used to spend the whole of the winter in Spain in their caravan. They stored their 'van there would go out in the beginning of November and come home at the end of March. They can no longer do this.

Edited by M_JG

16 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Blimey - not too sure what has been going on here !

Anyhow, looks complicated - you'd be in and out of Europe regularly, your boat would be there for 18 months max (unless you paid tax and imported it ?).

Or you just buy a boat already in the EU but again you would be in and out personally for half the time.

A member, who unlike you really is "new", was unaware of the restrictions on political posting. He has learned, and is now aware of them. End of story.

It looks to me as if your best bet would be to find a narrowboat over there. They aren't common but there are some - I have seen several on the French canals.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Please do not join the group of " Ignore button users " you are better than that. I have found that people who use the ignore button do it as they are unable to respond during discussion and are invariably bigots. Martin can indeed provoke a response in a vacuum :) but in the main is fair.

I did respond. My post has been removed and I was told I should not have responded! I am no bigot. Life is too short - In this case I'll use the Ignore function.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

The replies are from posters with whom I have had long standing disagreements, especially IanD. Make of that what you will.

8 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

Classic behaviour from the usual suspect. Make a provocative post which is not directly against the rules, then somebody else annoyed by this replies, then he tells them off (or the moderators do).

I could find multiple examples of the same behaviour -- a sly dig to start an argument, then transferring the blame -- but I can't be bothered. The "Ignore" button is there for people who behave like this...

P.S. Ignore smelly's post pleading you not to do this, he's on even more people's Ignore list for obnoxious posting... 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Classic behaviour from the usual suspect. Make a provocative post which is not directly against the rules, then somebody else annoyed by this replies, then he tells them off (or the moderators do).

I could find multiple examples of the same behaviour -- a sly dig to start an argument, then transferring the blame -- but I can't be bothered. The "Ignore" button is there for people who behave like this...

And again.

Unbelievable and the usual high level of hypocrisy.

Edited by M_JG