Traditional canal clothing

SandyD

Featured Posts

Hi,

We've been invited to a "peaky Blinders" fancy dress party! I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any websites that have good pictures of traditional canal clothing? (we will probably also use this as an excuse to make a trip to the canal museums at Foxton and stoke Bruene)

TIA

As far as I am aware there was no "traditional" canal clothing per say.

In Victorian times the women tended to wear these bonnets at times, picture 1, Annie Stokes known as "The Brentford Boat Girl."

On the whole they tended to wear "normal" clothing of the time, Harry & Sarah Bentley, Photo 2.

They did dress up for "hatchems, matchems and dispatchems." 

Steam boat crew, Photo 3.

The dressing up on President - well, I'll leave that to the experts!

Annie Harrison nee stokes.jpg

Harry & Sarah Bentley.jpg

Steam boat crew.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Stoke Bruerne has a number of garments on show, and the CRT Website at Ellesmere Port does have images of boat people's clothing.

The problem with black and white images is the difficulty find the correct colour for the respective items, but there are some paintings and watercolours that seem to represent the colours correctly.

@SandyD If you have enough time you could make a Spider web belt. However, these were not day to day attire for the boat men.

http://snoopysgranny.blogspot.com/2015/08/i-dont-make-sewing-kits-nowadays-but.html

CRT Archive: https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.2.2.12.8.30

image BW192-3-2-2-12-8-30

Description

Black and white photograph of Dick Lea, he is in best dress with rows of jacket buttons, a horse show pattern and a spider web belt. [Father of Alice Collins].

Date

c1920

Edited by Ray T

A Boat Womans childs (large enough for an average adult)bonnets can be brought from the Lichfield & Hatheton canal trust they have an online shop go for the made up one not the one you make yourself as my one took me over 3 years to get  right .Rays picture of Anne Stokes who married my G Grandads brother attached is photos of her husband Robert Harrison & one  of her sister who married another of g grandads brothers the third is a glass plate slide of my GG Grandparents all to my knowledge  are from Wakfields of Brentford last one is my Grandad with my Dad  

1.jpg

1 (2).jpg

2.jpg

dad n grandad.jpg

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

And apart from 'Trigger' in the last image - not a spotted red neckerchief in sight!

A scarf, white or otherwise tucked under the shirt. Common enough in many working trades and professions.

In this case tucked into the waistcoat.

William Humphris. Photo taken around 1935.

Top button done up was typical of the time, Mallard's crew on attaining the 126mph record for steam traction, July 1938.

Stopped the clothes from flapping around but allowed for freedom of movement.

Footplate crew Tommy Bray, fireman, Driver Joe Duddington and Inspector Sam Jenkins.

Bill Humphries NB John.jpeg

article-2563422-1BA36EF300000578-214_964x621.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2