Lifepo4 battery too cheap?

n-baj

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

48V 700Ah -- 16 series Winston cells like these, with a custom BMS integrated over CANbus with the Victron inverter/charger/MPPT:

https://shop.gwl.eu/Winston-40Ah-200Ah/WB-LYP700AHA-LiFeYPO4-3-3V-700Ah.html

But don't forget this is a series hybrid boat, with a 9kVA generator and a 15kW motor (continuous rating -- 25kW peak), so it needs a hefty battery bank... 😉

Wow, your batteries cost more than our entire 70ft boat.

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

48V 700Ah -- 16 series Winston cells like these, with a custom BMS integrated over CANbus with the Victron inverter/charger/MPPT:

https://shop.gwl.eu/Winston-40Ah-200Ah/WB-LYP700AHA-LiFeYPO4-3-3V-700Ah.html

But don't forget this is a series hybrid boat, with a 9kVA generator and a 15kW motor (continuous rating -- 25kW peak), so it needs a hefty battery bank... 😉

Nice! When you say custom BMS how has it been customised?

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Wow, your batteries cost more than our entire 70ft boat.

Never said they were cheap -- but then neither is the boat... 😉

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand is proving spookily accurate yet again, guess how much the generator supplier hiked the price by a week before delivery... 😞

20 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Nice! When you say custom BMS how has it been customised?

It's a custom BMS made for Finesse for exactly this purpose -- a hybrid boat, with proper integration with Victron electrical gear, the drive system and generator.

Edited by IanD

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand is proving spookily accurate yet again, guess how much the generator supplier hiked the price by a week before delivery... 😞

It's a custom BMS made for Finesse for exactly this purpose -- a hybrid boat, with proper integration with Victron electrical gear, the drive system and generator.

So in what way is it customised?

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

652 quid. 

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So in what way is it customised?

Ask Finesse... 😉

There are various things they do that they've spent a lot of time and effort working out, and understandably don't want to give details out so their competitors can get the benefit without doing the same -- as an interested (and paying!) customer I know details about some of them but I'm not going to tell either... 😉

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

652 quid. 

Not enough zeroes, as I said... 😞

Edited by IanD

Series hybrid is the obvious solution as long as there remains a canal system on which to use a boat. 

Many yarrrs ago one would have found hanimals used for the purpose of towing boats. I still think all this propeller nonsense is going to end in tears. 

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Ask Finesse... 😉

There are various things they do that they've spent a lot of time and effort working out, and understandably don't want to give details out so their competitors can get the benefit without doing the same -- as an interested (and paying!) customer I know details about some of them but I'm not going to tell either... 😉

Not enough zeroes, as I said... 😞

So they are going to show your boat at crick? 

On 03/03/2023 at 16:02, rusty69 said:

I'm not sure anyone on here has them to be able to make a recommendation. 

Lots of satisfied customers of lifebatteries on Facebook though. 

Lifebatteries are selling batteries from XD Battery who use the same components as Fogstar I believe. i.e Eve Grade A prismatic cells and JBD BMS.

Edited by 170968

33 minutes ago, 170968 said:

Lifebatteries are selling batteries from XD Battery who use the same components as Fogstar I believe. i.e Eve Grade A prismatic cells and JBD BMS.

Interesting. I can't see XD batteries for sale on the lifebatteries website. Got a link pls?

30 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Interesting. I can't see XD batteries for sale on the lifebatteries website. Got a link pls?

If you look here, you'll see some of them are marked "archibald", which you'll find here.

They're also sold by Bimble who's datasheet show Mark at Lifebatteries as the EU contact.

Edited by 170968
  • Greenie 1

18 hours ago, MrFish said:

Only 2 of their battery range have built in heating

To be clear, I wasn't recommending them over Fogstar. Rather just stating that the components are the same. In fact, although the customer service was good, I had to return one of two orders for replacement, and wasn't overly impressed by a third.

Edited by 170968