Not looking good for us

Midnight

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Gordon Bennet, hark who's talking...

You have no more rights to moor than anyone else. Except, of course, on your paid mooring. Why should I have a chip, I'm CCing. Marina money in the bank. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Should pay nothing, if they don't use or enter the waterway. If they do not cross the land boundary that runs across the entrance of a marina, boats remain on private property. And if that is case, year in, year out, those boats are not subject to the law requiring a licence. The law does not extend onto private property. 

It really is about time you stopped complaining about this, just move to a marina without the connection charge, or lift your boat out of the water into a local field.

24 minutes ago, IanD said:

Whether it's the fault of the license checkers or the CART enforcement team, they don't seem to be doing a very good job -- or even a barely adequate one -- of enforcing the CC rules, or mooring restrictions like 48h/14d.

Rules like these are effectively useless if large numbers of people flaunt them with impunity and little or no sanction for breaking them... 😞

It was barely adequate before Covid, unenforcable during , and is now laughable. Some people buying boats to live on now are basically sitting in the same place for months and have yet to have a first contact, most of the enforcement officers have been shifted to London.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

It really is about time you stopped complaining about this, just move to a marina without the connection charge, or lift your boat out of the water into a local field.

It was barely adequate before Covid, unenforcable during , and is now laughable. Some people buying boats to live on now are basically sitting in the same place for months and have yet to have a first contact, most of the enforcement officers have been shifted to London.

The boats I was talking about *are* in London... 😞

Just now, matty40s said:

I'm CCing. It makes no difference. The problem won't disappear because I'm out on the cut, 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Crowd funding seems to be the way👍

Have you checked the attitudes out, not from here. 

21 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The marina isn't the law. Unless you think the marina can write the law. It doesn't have the legal authority. It is obliged by contract. The licence is attached to a legal requirement, not a business setup. 

Who has authority, in a marina? 

You can carp all you like. It matters not a jot.

If you dont agree with the terms and conditions then leave.

Simple.

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

as a CCer (I hate that term) you have no home mooring?

so what you worrying about?

I've always maintained - it makes no difference if I have a boat of not, or whether I'm in a marina or not. The practice being applied in the marinas is unethical. 

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

unethical is a different argument to lawful 

Ethical isn't an argument, it's an opinion. The law states (after a few judgements) that you can or cannot do something with a penalty for non-compliance. A contract, if legal, does the same. So you know where you are. You can choose to accept or break it and take the consequences either way. There's no basis for complaint. You can always try to change the law or renegotiate the contract, but you always know where you stand.

You can argue about ethics or morality till the cows come home, but both are really meaningless concepts, just personal opinions, and they may well change over time both for an individual and for a culture. Once you get into that in a serious debate, you might as well leave because facts and what happens in the real world become irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ethical isn't an argument, it's an opinion. The law states (after a few judgements) that you can or cannot do something with a penalty for non-compliance. A contract, if legal, does the same. So you know where you are. You can choose to accept or break it and take the consequences either way. There's no basis for complaint. You can always try to change the law or renegotiate the contract, but you always know where you stand.

You can argue about ethics or morality till the cows come home, but both are really meaningless concepts, just personal opinions, and they may well change over time both for an individual and for a culture. Once you get into that in a serious debate, you might as well leave because facts and what happens in the real world become irrelevant.

You can decide to turn a blind eye. All things are possible. 

Who has authority in a marina? 

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Who has authority in a marina? 

If you mean who has the authority to enforce the marina T&C's then obviously the marina management and/or owners.