Google map and open canal map location

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My boat is in one location but my map shows it somewhere I was recently. Why  is this happening?

I've re booted the tablet.

Happens occasionally. You should find it corrects itself in a day or so.

If you are in one place for a while Google location fixes  your wifi unit in that place by looking at other nearby signals and it takes a while to update once you have moved.

Obviously you have been in one place for a while ;)

51 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Does the tablet have GPS or is it using the networks you connect on to determine location.

I think it's the latter, is this why other people have better systems than me?

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

As long as you are not using the details to log your movements for CRT its OK, You probably know where you are

The CRT probably know where I am, I don't actually tell them my movements, but they always know where I am, I think!

I am outside a factory and that factory has a postcode, so I am in no doubt.

Very gusty tonight, I've put out extra pins.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

My boat is in one location but my map shows it somewhere I was recently. Why  is this happening?

I've re booted the tablet.

Take the tablet outside for a minute or so, or put it next to a window. It won't get a GPS signal inside a metal narrowboat.

The tablet will be using Google location to get it's position. Google location uses the position of the WiFi to determine the location and it believes that your WiFi is where it was before you moved.

It takes a few days to a week to decide it's moved. I can take my boat out of the marina and it thinks I haven't moved for up to a week.

11 hours ago, booke23 said:

Take the tablet outside for a minute or so, or put it next to a window. It won't get a GPS signal inside a metal narrowboat.

A lot of tablets don’t have GPS.   If you tether the tablet to a smart phone it might pick up the location from that.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

The tablet will be using Google location to get it's position. Google location uses the position of the WiFi to determine the location and it believes that your WiFi is where it was before you moved.

It takes a few days to a week to decide it's moved. I can take my boat out of the marina and it thinks I haven't moved for up to a week.

When this happens to me, normally when we are away in the 'van the location on my tablet still 'sticks' even though the wi-fi moves with me, because my tablet is tethered to the wi-fi hotspot on my phone. My phone goes where I go.

Last year we stopped overnight in the Midlands and then drove to Cornwall the following day. For nearly the whole first week in Cornwall the tablet reckoned we were still just South of Birmingham.

It just rectifies it self after a few days when it happens though.