Boat safety fuel filter

Featured Posts

Hi all, I've been told by my boat safety inspector that I need to replace the plastic drain plug on my fuel filter with a metal one. The filter is a Lister 751-18100 and the thread of the plastic plug seems to be about 7.5mm. The smallest metal replacement plug I can find is 9mm

I have looked up a replacement filter that comes with a metal plug (e.g. Delphi) but the spin-on thread is 1.3mm smaller than the Lister filter spin-on thread. 

Has anyone else had difficulties solving the metal fuel filter drain plug problem? Any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, klgilfillan said:

Hi all, I've been told by my boat safety inspector that I need to replace the plastic drain plug on my fuel filter with a metal one. The filter is a Lister 751-18100 and the thread of the plastic plug seems to be about 7.5mm. The smallest metal replacement plug I can find is 9mm

I have looked up a replacement filter that comes with a metal plug (e.g. Delphi) but the spin-on thread is 1.3mm smaller than the Lister filter spin-on thread. 

Has anyone else had difficulties solving the metal fuel filter drain plug problem? Any suggestions?

You may need to repalce the whole filter assembly (unless you can find a suitable metal bolt).

Would this fit ?

CAV Lucas Delphi fuel filter bottom metal thumb screw 7111-466A Drain Plug seal | eBay

What age is the boat ?

Does it have an RCD / RCR as the BSS requirement is based on the RCD legislation.

From the BSS :

Question Mar12: Can you explain the degree of fire resistance the BSS calls for in fuel hoses, filters and fuel tanks?

Answer: The BSS has adopted the same level of fire protection as published in the ISO standards supporting the RCD.

In essence, compliant fuel components (hoses, tanks and filters) within engine spaces will have been tested to have an inherent level of fire resistance to survive a fire raging at 600° C for 2.5 minutes without any release of fuel adding to the fire and increasing its intensity.

The ISO 7840 marine fuel hose standard and equivalent standards for fuel filters and non-metallic petrol tanks adopt this fire test.  Components can be tested individually or as part of a mock up section of a boat.

The code writers believe that this level of protection will allow people on board enough time to identify a fire in an engine space and escape safely. There may still be enough time to move the boat out of harm's way, or if circumstances demand, fight the fire before it gets too intense.

2.12.2 C2.16.2

Question Nov 13: Can a vetus filter/water separator with a clear bowl sump be accepted at ECP 2.12.2 & C2.16.2?

Answer: These filters comply only if they are in good condition and complete with all original fittings, otherwise the fire resistance will be compromised.

To pass a Vetus fuel filter with a clear bowl sump, check that:

• the filter body and bottom fixing screw are fire resistant, ie made of metal, and,
  • the original Vetus fire deflection bowl-like mechanism is in place,

There is one exception - a non-compliant petrol fuel filter - it is an older version that was not distributed in this country; unlike the UK distributed 320VTNEB water separator/petrol fuel filter, which is fully compliant.

In the extremely rare situation of examining a petrol-engined, non-UK boat and you find it has in the engine space, a Vetus fuel filter with a clear bowl sump; try either to check the model number markings on the filter, or ask the owner for original supplier documentation. If it is a complete 320VTNEB in good condition, it passes.

If the component matches the description and is good condition, but its model number cannot be verified, contact Phil for advice.

See also NPI.01.13 for pictures

Edited by Alan de Enfield

21 minutes ago, klgilfillan said:

Hi all, I've been told by my boat safety inspector that I need to replace the plastic drain plug on my fuel filter with a metal one. The filter is a Lister 751-18100 and the thread of the plastic plug seems to be about 7.5mm. The smallest metal replacement plug I can find is 9mm. 

Think you will find an M8 bolt will fit. Pretty sure thats what I used. You just need a short one. I just cut one I had down. A rubber washer comes with the filter I think. I have two one on the filter in use and another on a spare filter. Makes it easy at filter change time.

• Greenie 1

Point of order - that bolt to cut down is a hexagon machine screw/set screw (thread all the way up) not a bolt.

I use a cut down 8mm set screw on a similar aftermarket filter for my Bukh.

Have you taken the screw right out? You may find it is actually a metal screw in a plastic body, if so it should be compliant, but take a photo to show the examiner. I also think that someone like Online Filters may be able to supply you with one that has no drain.

Edited by Tony Brooks

5 minutes ago, klgilfillan said:

Thanks very much for replies. M8 machine screw ( :^) ) fits.

Jonathan and Tony, do you unscrew the machine screw every so often to drain water? 

It would normally be part of your daily pre-engine start checks

Fan belt tight,

Oil check,

Water level check,

Fuel filter check, and drain if necessary

Disconnect mains electric lead.

Switch off immersion heater

etc etc

3 minutes ago, klgilfillan said:

Thanks very much for replies. M8 machine screw ( :^) ) fits.

Jonathan and Tony, do you unscrew the machine screw every so often to drain water? 

If it has caught any water, but if it is a decent installation, you will have a water trap (looks a bit like a filter) between the tank and lift pump. If so that is the one to drain. If you ensure any "flush" fuel filler has a good O ring on it and is never left loose and plus you suck/drain the muck and water from the bottom of the tank at least annually, then you would have to be unlucky for the filter or water trap to catch much water.

You can file a flat on one side of the screw to help the water drain, rather than take the screw right out. Try a drain in a month or two and see what comes out, then try it again in two to four months, and so on. Let the results advise you on how often to drain.  My guess will be that it won't need doing between changes unless the tank sprigs a water leak or you get some dodgy fuel.

Point of order - that bolt to cut down is a hexagon machine screw/set screw (thread all the way up) not a bolt.

You are quite right of course Tony !

I was slightly concerned at the advice to replace the whole filter assembly so rushed a reply out. 

my apologies 

29 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

You are quite right of course Tony !

I was slightly concerned at the advice to replace the whole filter assembly so rushed a reply out. 

my apologies 

No need for an apology, I just wanted to prevent anyone rocking up at Halford & co and asking for, and getting, an 8mm bolt. Somehow, I don't think that would seal properly.

I would have thought that a decent BSS examiner would know that an 8mm setscrew would probably do the job and tell their customer. I acknowledge what Tracy said about 5/16 unc.

Edited by Tony Brooks