Sheffield Moorings. Don’t Bother, Calder Valley Marine.

PD1964

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I thought the facilities at Sheffield were originally provided by BW/CRT for the use of all boaters including visitors hence the CRT key on the doors. 

They were indeed.  CRT staff manned (womanned?) the office next door and lived in the accommodation above. Imagine such a thing now!!

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

I thought the facilities at Sheffield were originally provided by BW/CRT for the use of all boaters including visitors hence the CRT key on the doors. I've no idea but maybe some arrangement in the lease to CV Marine says that the facilities should be available to visiting boaters and some financial transaction takes place. It would be a shame if visiting boaters couldn't use the elsan.

The general misuse and availability of CRT keys is a different issue. Maybe CRT should change the locks (all of them?? Howmuch would that cost?) and keep a tighter control on the issue of new keys.

All now under C.V.Marine or new name “Victoria Quays Marina” everything open for boat users and visiting boats. The shower will now be Metered/Token operated and once installed reopened and all on CRT keys. As I keep saying they should of fitted/changed to meter on the day. Not closed them without warning with no date to install meter/reopen.

It’s the Moorers that are picking up the tab for the service block with increase in moorings. Never anyone over there to charge/collect money from visiting boats once their 48hr free stay has passed, or monitor what actually happens over there.

43 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

They were indeed.  CRT staff manned (womanned?) the office next door and lived in the accommodation above. Imagine such a thing now!!

How many years ago was that?

Edited by PD1964

37 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

How many years ago was that?

From when the basin reopened as the "Quays" until around 2005 I think.  

You could walk in and ask about moorings,  book passage down the locks, buy cards for the showers etc. 

That was also the time of 24hr security with an office on site. Not that they did much of course but at least it was a deterrent for the local scum.

2 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I thought the facilities at Sheffield were originally provided by BW/CRT for the use of all boaters including visitors hence the CRT key on the doors. I've no idea but maybe some arrangement in the lease to CV Marine says that the facilities should be available to visiting boaters and some financial transaction takes place. It would be a shame if visiting boaters couldn't use the elsan.

The general misuse and availability of CRT keys is a different issue. Maybe CRT should change the locks (all of them?? Howmuch would that cost?) and keep a tighter control on the issue of new keys.

I used them before CV Marine came on the scene. Moored in the basin too. 20 June 1997.

Edited by pearley

4 hours ago, pearley said:

I used them before CV Marine came on the scene. Moored in the basin too. 20 June 1997.

25 years ago, completely different these days.

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

From when the basin reopened as the "Quays" until around 2005 I think.  

You could walk in and ask about moorings,  book passage down the locks, buy cards for the showers etc. 

That was also the time of 24hr security with an office on site. Not that they did much of course but at least it was a deterrent for the local scum.

17 years ago, once again a long time ago. Completely different now. Very little presence if any from the Marina operator, CaRT opened an office for their volunteers, now the boaters can see where their licence money is being wasted, on the towpath and on old women doing craft days.

Edited by PD1964

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

25 years ago, completely different these days.

17 years ago, once again a long time ago. Completely different now. Very little presence if any from the Marina operator, CaRT opened an office for their volunteers, now the boaters can see where their licence money is being wasted, on the towpath and on old women doing craft days.

The Sheaf Quay pub closing was really the nail in the coffin for the area. No free parking anymore for families to come and have a wander around the place.

Plans to pedestrianise the basin to the market area came to nothing so it's stayed out on a limb, circled by busy roads.  Sheffield council is concentrating its bizarre plans in the "Kelham Island" area instead now,  lucky us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2023 at 04:11, pearley said:

As the OP said Shepley Bridge is also now CV Marine. When we last used them about 4 years ago it still had BW or CRT signage but we're told (after we'd used them) that they are no longer open for all.

Email from C&RT (took a few attempts to get this info)

"We have been in touch with our local team. The Sanitary Station is open to all boaters and I apologise that you have been told otherwise. The Marina may be private for boats but I think the customer service facilities that we have are open to all boaters."

22 hours ago, Midnight said:

Email from C&RT (took a few attempts to get this info)

"We have been in touch with our local team. The Sanitary Station is open to all boaters and I apologise that you have been told otherwise. The Marina may be private for boats but I think the customer service facilities that we have are open to all boaters."

"I think" surerly CRT should know 😂

• 2 weeks later...