Preston Brook Tunnel 3

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

If they are silly enough to try to get a wide beam boat with a vertical sided cabin through a narrow canal tunnel:  I have no sympathy for them. Perhaps due to the persistent rain the water level was slightly raised? Have they successfully navigated this tunnel in this boat before?

Why do most of the current  wide beams have so little tumblehome? Seems to be a backward step.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If they are silly enough to try to get a wide beam boat with a vertical sided cabin through a narrow canal tunnel:  I have no sympathy for them. Perhaps due to the persistent rain the water level was slightly raised? Have they successfully navigated this tunnel in this boat before?

Why do most of the current  wide beams have so little tumblehome? Seems to be a backward step.

I was told the lack of tumblehome is to get the interior volume to meet the VAT free requirements. Don’t know if that’s true. 

I do hope that CRT & the fire brigade bill them for the cost of the call out & any structural damages. 

• Greenie 1

Seems that there are other threads about this.

"""

So that's why the 3 fire engines and 2 long wheel based transit type vans turned up. They parked in the railway access lay-by yesterday but as they didn't appear to be in any rush I assumed it was a training exercise as they've done it before under the M56 bridge opposite the Chandlers.

The outfit was met shortly after by 2 RIB's coming from the tunnel to be lifted out the water and taken away. I didn't see any widebeam go either way so assumed they came from the Anderton area. That's interesting in itself as the lock is narrower than the tunnel, so it must have a really tall and/or boxy profile above the water """