CNC handheld router

frahkn

Featured Posts

I have seen videos of hand-held CNC routers (for example, the Shaper Origin) used in boat related work. Though pricy for a router, they appear to be very useful in large layout applications.

Has anyone practical knowledge of these? Are they as good as claimed?

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Without a link it sounds weird to me, how do you CNC your hands and arms. I can see it might be able to alter its depth of cut but how will it know where it is on the work piece.

The tool scans the work piece using taped markers first.

I'm no good with links but you could google 'Shaper Origin' to see some examples.

14 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Some for sale on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1327946161287408/?ref=facebook_story_share

I have the same router and used it when doing a camper van conversion.

The one I saw did not have the frame shown in your example - it is just a hand held router.

5 minutes ago, frahkn said:

The tool scans the work piece using taped markers first.

I'm no good with links but you could google 'Shaper Origin' to see some examples.

The one I saw did not have the frame shown in your example - it is just a hand held router.

So it wasn't a Cnc router. 

I have one in my collection. An excellent piece of kit but pricey, it also has to be co planer between the workpiece and shaper tape. When it works its excellent but can go wrong if lighting is slightly dark or it loses its positioning by not seeing the tape.

I see this as a standalone unit and not as a replacement to a bench cnc router, as both work in different ways. Another nice feature is how it recognises colour lines for different cut styles, whether it cuts on the line, inside or outside the line or whether it is a full pocket cut, all based on drawing colours. 

A downside is it works with .svg files so you can't directly import a .dwg or .dxf from autocad, but open source like inkscape is fine or affinity designer for example.

Kind regards

Dan

Edited by stagedamager
Spelling due to cold fat fingers!
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Right, I've found a video showing one in use.

If you watch Ran Sailing on you tube - video no. 325. 

Best I can do - it's impossible to explain if you haven't seen one.

Sorry, crossed with yours.

5 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I have one in my collection. An excellent piece if kit but pricey, it also has to be co planer between the workpiece and shaper tape. When it works its excellent but can go wrong if lighting is slightly dark or it loses its positioning by not seeing the tape.

I see this as a standalone u it and not as a replacement to a bench cnc router, as both work in different ways. Another jcie feature is how it recognises colour lines for different cut styles, whether it cuts on the line, inside or outside the line or whether it is a full pocket cut, all based on drawing colours. 

A downside is it works with .svg files so you can't directly import a .dwg or .dxf from autocad, but open source like inkscape is fine or affinity designer for example.

Kind regards

Dan

Thanks very much, I started to think that I had imagined the whole thing.

Edited by frahkn

Thanks Rob.

As he says it retracts if you wander off course it seems like an interesting innovation.  The question is how cost effective is it. Probably finer doing a full fitout or you use it all the time, but for the odd one off pieces for the amateur I have my doubts.

7 hours ago, stagedamager said:

If anyone is passing near Langley Mill and is genuinely interested, pop in the yard and I can show you it working.. give me notice mind!

Thank you very much, I may take you up on that.

I do wonder if, as a hobbyist, I  can really justify £4,000 for a router. Have to think about that.

Anyway, thanks.