Old Age

jelunga

Featured Posts

Why would you consider that house prices would be any less an investment in the future? Why? I don't understand what you think will change?

Hi Chris,

House prices have soared way, way too fast. I read that Halifax estimates that the average terraced house has gone up in price 239% in the last ten years! Way beyond salary increases, inflation, etc.

The average terraced house where I live costs £284,975, apparently. (Already far higher than many first-time buyers myself included, can afford).

So for the sake of argument, to use that as an illustration, for a house to be of comparable investment in the future, it'd have to be worth around £680,000 by 2017 - and that's the AVERAGE price of a house?!?!!?!?!

Unless there's a bl**dy miracle and wages soar radically in the next ten years, there will be too few first time buyers to sustain the market with prices like that.

That is why I don't think property is as good an investment as it was in 1971. If you'd have found yourself having to sell your home during the recession as many people did, you would probably not think it was as good an investment. If you buy high, you have to sell phenomenally high.

Of course these figures are arbitrary and there's a lot of other factors to take into consideration, but as an illustration of my opinion about the housing market, it'll do.

Hi,

Yes that is great if you wish to, and are happy to live, in the same house for 36 years.

To me it is all about balance and what a person is wanting out of life.

This is the first time in my adult life I have not owned a property. I have owned 5 properties at different times and have been lucky never to have lost money when coming to sell.

I obviously don't, but It would be intersting to know, how many owners the bungalow has had since 1971, but it is true to say that during those 36 years its value has see-sawed and so it would stand a fair chance that some had made and some may have lost money if it were to have sold..............again depending on the time of transaction and state the market was in.

Regards,

Pav.

I'm with Pav on this one. Sound words.

Hi Chris,

House prices have soared way, way too fast. I read that Halifax estimates that the average terraced house has gone up in price 239% in the last ten years! Way beyond salary increases, inflation, etc.

Why are you so apparently amazed that these houses have risen by 239% in 10 years. That's only 9.1% per year compounded. Not unusual for the property market. Maybe you were thinking it was 23.9% (239/10) per year - it isn't!!

Chris

In 1971, I bought a new bungalow near Rugby for £3,295 - had wanted to buy a boat which was priced at about half that cost but found that I couldn't get anyone to lend me the money for the boat whereas the bank happily arranged a mortgage on the bungalow. That same bungalow recently sold for over £200,000 so it has been a reasonably good investment for its various owners - we sold it many years ago.

The boat that we were thinking of buying is still afloat and, miraculously, it has been well maintained and is in good condition. The present owner, a friend of ours, almost sold it a year ago for £20,000 but the sale fell through and he has now decided to keep it.

You don't need to be a mathematician to work out which was the best investment.

Except that even if you've got £200,000 its still no good to you when you're dead and the government just rub their hands together when they get their hands on it (and they do one way or another). Does not matter what time period you buy a house in because 20 years later unless the value of money means nothing the house will still still be worth more than when you bought it. Thats the whole point of buying isn't it to make money on the property? What you choose to do with your profit is a personal decision.

In fact - it is 'as safe as houses' - a common investment saying that goes back to Victorian days!

Blooming Victorians - gotta a lot to answer for...............life is short and life for the living - we owe it to ourselves to live life to the full whichever way you choose to do it and I'll bet that those people who live mostly full time afloat are much fitter than those of us landlubbers. I reckon I;ve seen a great many fit 70 year olds on my boating holidays :wub:

Edited by tillergirl

I'll bet that those people who live mostly full time afloat are much fitter than those of us landlubbers. I reckon I;ve seen a great many fit 70 year olds on my boating holidays :wub:

That's only because of "survival of the fittest" evolution. Any unfit boaters probably die younger and so get weeded out.

Chris

Euthanasia. - Definately the best way to cope with old age. Especially if the wrinkled old T**** are thinking of coming to live on the canals.

Ther's enough water in em as it is without lots of old buggers cumin on with there incontinence problems.

Get in a bloody nursing home if you cant cope with the stairs anymore.

Do you not think though that if you are not going to use the boat it just becomes a very expensive floating caravan? And with regards to age and infirmity the same can be said for a house - stairs become a problem just the same.

As a reaction on "debbifiggy"s story, I'm not convinced at all that you're better of or safer in a house if you have a problem that stops you from beeing able to start your engine to charge batteries etc. An elderly aunty of mine that sadly enough has died since, fell over on the second floor of her house, and broke her hip. She was unable to reach the telephone, and nobody reacted on her cries for help. 38 hours later, another member of the family was getting worried getting no reply on many phonecalls to her, got in the car and went to my aunties house, where she had the door opened by a locksmith, and there they found the poor woman, lying in her own sh.. , and without a drink for such a long time, she almost died.

On the canal, I'm pretty sure that neighbours would have heard her calling for help, and she would surely be found much quicker. I wouldn't swap living on my boat for the nicest house in the world !

As a reaction on "debbifiggy"s story, I'm not convinced at all that you're better of or safer in a house if you have a problem that stops you from beeing able to start your engine to charge batteries etc. An elderly aunty of mine that sadly enough has died since, fell over on the second floor of her house, and broke her hip. She was unable to reach the telephone, and nobody reacted on her cries for help. 38 hours later, another member of the family was getting worried getting no reply on many phonecalls to her, got in the car and went to my aunties house, where she had the door opened by a locksmith, and there they found the poor woman, lying in her own sh.. , and without a drink for such a long time, she almost died.

On the canal, I'm pretty sure that neighbours would have heard her calling for help, and she would surely be found much quicker. I wouldn't swap living on my boat for the nicest house in the world !

It is the sadness in your (aunt's) story that makes me determined to make my lifestyle on the boats work for me and others around me for as long as I am able. At least she had someone to worry within a couple of days, i am sure that a lot of people would be there much longer.

Community; the young give their vigour to the old, the old give their knowledge and wisdom to the young. I know that the canals are not the only expression of community but they are an example of one that, broadly, works. If I leave the boats it would be only for a place with a similar sense of community (or possibly - in your armchair dreams, they cry - a last blow out adventure).

I knew someone, don't know what's happened to him, that didn't have the use of his legs but managed, with help crewing, to live aboard a boat. He did not have a mooring but as he spent most of his working life co-ordinating the emergency services in times of disaster my view is he can make his own rules. Hopefully he's still at it .

Reading Christine's earlier topic and another current topic about the cost of energy it seems that the world, as exemplified by this forum, can be be divided into two groups, those who see themselves as a continuum with the world and people around them and those who would avoid drowning by standing on the heads of others. I'd rather be amongst the former.

Now... anyone want that coal bag carrying?

It's always a problem when elderly/infirm people fall and can't get up. On a boat, I suspect they'd get colder more quickly.

What I can tell you though is that it would be very difficult for an ambulance crew to remove someone who was unable to walk from the average boat. This difficulty would translate into extra discomfort for the patient, and extra risk for everyone. Therefore, I think it would be unwise for anyone who knows their health/mobility is going to deteriorate to embark on living aboard without sensible adaptations to the boat first.

However, if you're going to be healthy and reasonably mobile until you die peacefully in your sleep, then you'll be OK.

If you don't know, why not live for today, but realise that things may change in the future.

I didn't say boats are colder than houses. However, if no-one is looking after the heating or it's not on, I think boats do cool down more quickly. (well, mine does anyway). Similarly, the boat warms up more quickly than the house.

I haven't read all the posts on this topic but I would certainly say that it is very irresponsible for anyone to recommend that and elderly, incapacitated or disabled person could or should attempt to live on a narrowboat..

It displays a total ignorance of the subject.

Agree entirely - we are all optimists when it comes to looking forward to our own old-age but an octogenarian gave me some very good advice recently - 'growing old is nothing to look forward to!'

I haven't read all the posts on this topic but I would certainly say that it is very irresponsible for anyone to recommend that and elderly, incapacitated or disabled person could or should attempt to live on a narrowboat..

It displays a total ignorance of the subject.

I have read all the posts John and no-one is recommending any elderly or infirm person to live aboard a narrow boat. But it is a fact that such people do successfully and also, i am sure, unsuccessfully attempt to.

I personally wouldn't recommend any lifestyle to anyone, it is the ultimate in personal choice. But as a neighbour i would help anyone.

And i respect anyone's right to live how they want if they do no harm to others. St Brendan probably ignored a lot of advice too.

And there is nothing to say a young fit person couldn't have an accident and be unable for various reasons to summon help.

I have read all the posts John and no-one is recommending any elderly or infirm person to live aboard a narrow boat. But it is a fact that such people do successfully and also, i am sure, unsuccessfully attempt to.

I personally wouldn't recommend any lifestyle to anyone, it is the ultimate in personal choice. But as a neighbour i would help anyone.

And i respect anyone's right to live how they want if they do no harm to others. St Brendan probably ignored a lot of advice too.

And there is nothing to say a young fit person couldn't have an accident and be unable for various reasons to summon help.

Even I cant take the piss out of that. Well said Chris, spot on.

Maybe, but how does it compare to the only alternative?

I can't answer that - I've yet to meet anyone who has been there and come back to tell the tale.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of people with strong religious beliefs who think the alternative might be better.

I can't answer that - I've yet to meet anyone who has been there and come back to tell the tale.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of people with strong religious beliefs who think the alternative might be better.

They should be told to have the courage of their convictions and go there.. A bit like time travel, if it were possible we would have met some bloke from the future by now.. (or even your grandad when he was a young chap)

They should be told to have the courage of their convictions and go there.. A bit like time travel, if it were possible we would have met some bloke from the future by now.. (or even your grandad when he was a young chap)

Dont be daft John. You'd need sumut that could travel as fast as a delorian to be able to go back to the future :P

Dont be daft John. You'd need sumut that could travel as fast as a delorian to be able to go back to the future :P

Ah well you never know.. Who was that bloke who owned the company, he moved pretty quickly at times, like when he had a briefcase full of our money.

Edited by John Orentas

You can only travel back in time as time has not started for the future.