Cruising when the water is frozen

Andrew C

Featured Posts

I'm currently on the Llangollen and heading towards the Shropshire Union Canal and hopefully Chester before Christmas. Having only begun as a liveaboard this April, I've not encountered iced over canals before until seeing the arm at Ellesmere frozen. Is there a news source to go to to check if the Shroppie, (or any other canal) is navigable when temperatures drop below 0, or can any boaters around the area confirm the canal state please? I'm not keen on passing through Hurlesdon locks to find myself stranded🙁

1 minute ago, Andrew C said:

I'm currently on the Llangollen and heading towards the Shropshire Union Canal and hopefully Chester before Christmas. Having only begun as a liveaboard this April, I've not encountered iced over canals before until seeing the arm at Ellesmere frozen. Is there a news source to go to to check if the Shroppie, (or any other canal) is navigable when temperatures drop below 0, or can any boaters around the area confirm the canal state please? I'm not keen on passing through Hurlesdon locks to find myself stranded🙁

Someone said Barbridge was -5 this morning so I would guess its well frozen. Lots more info on Facebook with more people posting

Thanks ditch crawler. Yeah, I've just applied to join a couple of FBgroups this morning but am pending acceptance as of yet, so in two minds as to either Leave Ellesmere for Whitchurch, or just stay put a few days more here before moving on as temperatures rise after this weekend, but then cutting it fine to reach Chester in time. Decisions decisions. Cheers

I'd be surprised if there are ANY canals not frozen. The southern Oxford was frozen already last Friday when I was there, and yesterday the K&A was frozen solid at Devizes as I drove past.

Edited by MtB

From our experience the Llangollen canal does tend to stay ice free longer where it flows but the locks freeze as do the side arms such as Whitchurch, Ellesmere and the Prees Branch.  The weather was such it was one of the few times we wore life jackets as the locks were treacherous.

6 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

Thanks MtB. I think already I'm coming to the conclusion I need to abandon trying to cruise in negative temperatures and wait to travel in the rain instead 🙄. Cheers for the input. 

There's another dimension to it too. Cruising through light ice is likely to draw the ire of other boaters as opinion nowadays amongst boaters seems to be that the moving ice sheets you'll be creating, damage the blacking on moored boats as you pass. 

This is total bollux obviously, but it doesn't stop people believing it.

Watch and see how this thread develops now! 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 2
  • Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Watch and see how this thread develops now! 

I'll go. Thick ice is a risk to plastic boats. A friend had his sunk this way. Broken ice goes skidding across the unbroken ice and in to the hull, breaking the GRP right at the water line. Some GRP owners will float wood beams tethered to their boats to deflect the ice pucks.

• Greenie 2

Really well you the problem then if you do go out and cruse along moored boat say it all lack of common sence  

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'll go. Thick ice is a risk to plastic boats. A friend had his sunk this way. Broken ice goes skidding across the unbroken ice and in to the hull, breaking the GRP right at the water line. Some GRP owners will float wood beams tethered to their boats to deflect the ice pucks.

One fact to start with

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You'll notice I specified "light ice"! 

But yes I agree plastic boats are at risk. Steel boats are not. 

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, plastic boats are vulnerable.

Just now, Feeby100 said:

You sure they where waving or calling you a ……  

I think I made that quite clear. 

• Greenie 1

I understand that the Gollie has a flow, so less likely to freeze. I just wasn't sure what the general temperature to freezing was on other canals (and don't quote the freezing point of water). Was hoping water/canal craft movement, and water impurities might lower the general freezing point. I wouldn't want to travel through anything other than a millimetre or two of ice as it does seem likely damage can be incurred upon more than just my own craft, but others and potentially wildlife. I'll stay this side of Hurlesdon until Sunday when the milder weather arrives, hopefully. Then crank it to Chester

• Greenie 1