New boater going on the canal next May.

lognor8

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, lognor8 said:

I intend to sail at least 8 hours per day

I wouldn't necessarily agree with Howard and Mike that you shouldn't plan your trip, especially as you only have a long weekend. But planning on the basis of 8 hour days is risky (unless you are the sort that gets up at the crack of dawn and is under way by about 6.00 am). A planned 8 hour day can easily end up taking 10 hours for the sorts of reasons Mike gives, which doesn't make for enjoyable boating if you reach your destination pub after they have stopped serving food, or if you have to continue on in driving rain to keep to the programme.

You only have one fixed deadline - to get the boat back to base by the end of the trip. So be prepared to alter your plans as you go, if necessary turning back earlier than planned. And if the return leg goes quicker than the outbound you can always overshoot the base on your way back and explore a little of what lies beyond the other way (subject to winding hole locations).

• Greenie 3

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

As Howard expressed so articulately in the post above, your plan is unlikely to deliver "the best experience for the time" you mention. There is nothing the gods of the canal waters love to disrupt more than a rigid plan. Especially when said rigid plan involves getting to a pub by a particular time to eat. DAMHIK. Many times over until I learned to go with the flow, which rarely totally flows where (or when) you expect. 

Broken paddles, unexpected queues at locks, going aground, stopping for fuel/water/shopping, pounds with no water, stoppages etc happen along the way and guess what? None of these help you go along any faster! 

And the other side of that is that I've been planning holidays including stops (preferably at nice pubs...) for many years, and have very rarely -- in fact, I'm struggling to remember the last time -- failed to get to where we were aiming for, or had to get up stupidly early or travel on into the dusk to get there. The key is not to be too optimistic -- if you plan a ten-hour (or longer) day on Canalplan because you think you can get up early, travel with no delays, and stop late then you're going to be disappointed sometimes, especially on canals like the HNC (or the L&L...) 😉

Of course it also depends whether you get enjoyment out of actually travelling most of the day and locking (like we do) or stopping in places for extended periods (like many other people do).

If you do aim to eat out in pubs or restaurants -- especially on popular canals in the summer -- it's pretty much essential to book ahead nowadays, or you'll end up being told "Sorry, we're full" -- again, this is based on actual experience -- and this means planning stops at least a day ahead if not more. If you're happy to eat on the boat every night or take pot luck then pottering along as MtB says is absolutely fine, but also don't forget that people on a holiday for a week are often keen and want to do a lot more work/locks than somebody who lives aboard for months and has seen it all before... 😉

Horses for courses -- both approaches (planned and unplanned) work for different people, depending on what you want to do, and especially your dining preferences 🙂

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with Howard and Mike that you shouldn't plan your trip, especially as you only have a long weekend. But planning on the basis of 8 hour days is risky (unless you are the sort that gets up at the crack of dawn and is under way by about 6.00 am). A planned 8 hour day can easily end up taking 10 hours for the sorts of reasons Mike gives, which doesn't make for enjoyable boating if you reach your destination pub after they have stopped serving food, or if you have to continue on in driving rain to keep to the programme.

You only have one fixed deadline - to get the boat back to base by the end of the trip. So be prepared to alter your plans as you go, if necessary turning back earlier than planned. And if the return leg goes quicker than the outbound you can always overshoot the base on your way back and explore a little of what lies beyond the other way (subject to winding hole locations).

We normally plan days of around 8 hours (according to standard Canalplan timings) and mostly find we get there earlier than planned, but then we usually have 4 experienced crew on board, sending people ahead to the next lock to get it ready, have breakfast on the move (you can't beat a proper bacon and egg sandwich!), and rarely stop for long during the day. It's what we like doing, but certainly not for everybody.

I wouldn't suggest a newbie tries to do the same for all the reasons given, at least not on a first holiday... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Happy 1

As can be seen from above, there is a widely differing range of experiences and advice on this forum and there is no definitive best" choice. It is your decision after all. Like many things in life you will need to sift through the various replies and do your own sorting out the wheat from the chaff. No one has the totally correct answer. 

When I started on the canals I was a bit like you although with a young family to take into account and I did have some boating experience from years of sailing elsewhere.  As a small  example of how doing too much planning can sometimes bite you in the bum, our first ever venture with a hire was with Silsden boats but many years ago (1978 to be precise.). After spending a lot of time making plans like you are doing etc we arrived at Silsden for a weeks holiday to find the weather gods had not been kind. In fact it was persisting down, and it didn't let up for all 7 days of the holiday with  heavy rain all day each day. Despite this we ventured out and got as far as through the Fouldridge Tunnel before turning and going back eastwards, past Silsden and going as far as Bingley Five rise where we turned again and returned to Silsden, totally hooked on canals and have been ever since.

For a long weekend trip please put  reality into context: as an example, realistically you may not leave Silsden until mid afternoon 1st day, which would be too late for you to descend the Five Rise until the second day. Back up the 5 Rise on the 3rd day and return the boat on the 4th day. Personally, for a short break, I would go west towards and beyond Skipton, where you will find some glorious scenery ( I know I'm biased because I was born along this stretch!), but don't be too ambitious for your first trip. Enjoy the experience and like us you may become hooked.

Howard

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, howardang said:

As can be seen from above, there is a widely differing range of experiences and advice on this forum and there is no definitive best" choice. It is your decision after all. Like many things in life you will need to sift through the various replies and do your own sorting out the wheat from the chaff. No one has the totally correct answer. 

When I started on the canals I was a bit like you although with a young family to take into account and I did have some boating experience from years of sailing elsewhere.  As a small  example of how doing too much planning can sometimes bite you in the bum, our first ever venture with a hire was with Silsden boats but many years ago (1978 to be precise.). After spending a lot of time making plans like you are doing etc we arrived at Silsden for a weeks holiday to find the weather gods had not been kind. In fact it was persisting down, and it didn't let up for all 7 days of the holiday with  heavy rain all day each day. Despite this we ventured out and got as far as through the Fouldridge Tunnel before turning and going back eastwards, past Silsden and going as far as Bingley Five rise where we turned again and returned to Silsden, totally hooked on canals and have been ever since.

For a long weekend trip please put  reality into context: as an example, realistically you may not leave Silsden until mid afternoon 1st day, which would be too late for you to descend the Five Rise until the second day. Back up the 5 Rise on the 3rd day and return the boat on the 4th day. Personally, for a short break, I would go west towards and beyond Skipton, where you will find some glorious scenery ( I know I'm biased because I was born along this stretch!), but don't be too ambitious for your first trip. Enjoy the experience and like us you may become hooked.

Howard

For a long weekend trying to do the 5-rise/3-rise shoots a big hole in any plans, due to timing, queues -- and there aren't that many good places to moor overnight around there either.

I agree with Howard -- go West, young man 🙂

Skipton is lovely, as is the stretch beyond it, there will be no hard constraints on where you have to be and when like with Bingley, and nicer places to stop.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, MtB said:

As Howard expressed so articulately in the post above, your plan is unlikely to deliver "the best experience for the time" you mention. There is nothing the gods of the canal waters love to disrupt more than a rigid plan. Especially when said rigid plan involves getting to a pub by a particular time to eat. DAMHIK. Many times over until I learned to go with the flow, which rarely totally flows where (or when) you expect. 

Broken paddles, unexpected queues at locks, going aground, stopping for fuel/water/shopping, pounds with no water, stoppages etc happen along the way and guess what? None of these help you go along any faster! 

Didn't know you have boated up north 😅

We ‘had’ to spend nye on four months in Skipton last summer due to lock closures (lack of water). Skipton is a lovely town but being there for such an extended period enticed me to look forward to leaving. Which we did in October.

Given the choice, from Silsden head for Skipton. But watch out for the occasional almost inoperable swing bridges.  Beautiful countryside though.

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We ‘had’ to spend nye on four months in Skipton last summer due to lock closures (lack of water). Skipton is a lovely town but being there for such an extended period enticed me to look forward to leaving. Which we did in October.

Given the choice, from Silsden head for Skipton. But watch out for the occasional almost inoperable swing bridges.  Beautiful countryside though.

No body has yet mentioned the two clinchers for the Skipton route - Bizzy Lizzies Fish & chips and the Pork Pie shop. Two gems worth visiting Skipton for with the bonus of superb scenery as you proceed further westwards.

Howard

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, howardang said:

No body has yet mentioned the two clinchers for the Skipton route - Bizzy Lizzies Fish & chips and the Pork Pie shop. Two gems worth visiting Skipton for with the bonus of superb scenery as you proceed further westwards.

Howard

Stanforth's, for avoidance of any doubt. Warm pork pie, mmm, need a clean shirt now. Pork and black pudding, mmmmm. Chilli pork, yum yum but you'll need a cold beer.

Don't forget The Beer Engine too, that makes three gems... 😉

(all of which we visited each time we were in Skipton...)

Edited by IanD

12 hours ago, howardang said:

Aww thanks for taking the time to post your replies. I took notice of what you all said regarding timetables, but really, I just would like to do the 5 rise and be happy with whatever. I have read and viewed YT videos about how relaxing the canals are and I really feel like I need to chill BIG time. Our group is four adults and one 9yo child so we gotta be mindfull of the little ones needs and provide some excitement for him so any hints would be great.  Thanks in advance guys.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone

A rather long post but I hope you enjoy it.

Well, we have returned from our trip, and what a blast. We sailed south from Silsden and stopped at a pub called the Marquis Of Grandby in Riddlesden. The Landlady did us proud making us really welcome and even going as far as cooking Scampi and chips. Later that evening we went to Ishys Kitchen, An Indian takeaway. Next day we let go, sailed on towards the 5 Rise locks, and got there about 12 midday. The CRT guys were terrific although they did warn us that the return journey would be harder and it wasn't unknown for boats to sink!

So we descended the 5 and 3 rises and went on our merry way. Further down we came across a pub called the Fisherman Inn and we decided to have a bite to eat and it's here we came unstuck. The pub is right on the winding hole and we couldn't moor there so we decided to go under a tunnel we could see ahead and moor there. Unbeknown to us there was a double lock right in front of us. We knew one was coming up but were surprised to find it right on top of us.

So as we had already passed the winding hole we knew we had to descend the 2 locks to the next winding hole. Our very first go at doing it ourselves. After a quick debate we decided to forgo dinner, descend the 2 locks, turn around at the next winding hole, ascend the 2 locks and then have dinner.

That's when we got into trouble.

We descended the first lock ok but when we tried to descend the 2nd one to reach the canal, the first lock kept sending too much water into the 2nd lock thereby stopping us from descending to the canal. Despite our best efforts we couldn't equalize the water in the 2nd lock to the canal water and we had to go to a boat moored up to ask for help.

I don't know what he did but it got sorted and we descended to the canal and sailed onto the winding hole by Hirst lock. (My first attempt at turning the boat around...and I did it!) But our troubles hadn't finished yet. We sailed back to the 2 locks we had just left, navigated the bottom one ok and while moving the boat forwards for the upper lock we grounded the boat! We hadn't realized that we should have refilled the first lock on our descent so that we would have enough water to equalize the locks on the way back up. The lockkeeper was on hand to help and he sorted it out for us. Many, many thanks to the two gentlemen who came to our aid.

So we finally moored up and had our tea in the Fishermans Inn. (Liver and mash for me)

Then we called it a night and had a few beers on the boat before lights out totally knackered from our fright.

Next day, no more mishaps and we got through the 5 and 3 rises and decided to sail right past Silsden boat yard to a pub called The White Lion at Cross Hills (Where I turned the boat around again...yay!). Moored up, had our tea and made our way back to Silsden the next morning.

Unbelievable weekend and one I would do again. The people all along the canal were incredibly friendly and have made a lasting impression on our group.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our experience and hope that telling you guys of our mishaps will help in some small way to someone who wants to do the same.

You can view a quick video I took when our group reached the bottom of the 5 Rise. Sorry for the bad camera work. 

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

Thanks for the report about your trip and it's great that you enjoyed the experience.

One thing to keep in mind if on your next trip if you come across staircase locks: going down only the top lock should be full, the others should be empty so that you take one lock full down with you. Going up  all locks should be full apart from the bottom one, and as you go up you empty the one above into the one you are in.

Now you have got the bug try the other direction from Silsden as many on here suggested. I am sure you will like it, maybe even more, especially if the budget can stretch to a few more days.

Howard 

14 minutes ago, howardang said:

One thing to keep in mind if on your next trip if you come across staircase locks: going down only the top lock should be full, the others should be empty so that you take one lock full down with you. Going up  all locks should be full apart from the bottom one, and as you go up you empty the one above into the one you are in.

Howard 

Ah I see, thanks Howard. We are already talking about doing another trip next year. One of our group suggested the Broads. Not sure because there are no locks.

On 04/11/2022 at 19:30, Ken X said:

I could have phrased it better, it is just the visitor moorings which are time limited. Having said that, CRT have indeed installed a lovely row of moorings just after Saltaire towards Shipley but have neglected to provide any water. We tried to approach these a few times and bounced off the bottom every time before we got to the edge. It may be better in May but forewarned is forearmed.

Still shallow then. Complained when we tried to use them not long after installation, 2019. Never got a response.

Offside moorings at Shipley ok.