Fuel Tank Deep Clean

Featured Posts

Hi - looking for some advice. I keep getting diesel bug. I've had the fuel filtered twice and I'm using an anti-bug treatment.
Can anyone recommend someone who can properly clean the fuel tank on my wide-beam? Or any advice as to what I can do? 

I suspect you may need a large inspection hole cut in the tank and then manually cleaned and then steam cleaned. If bug is in the fuel lies they need cleaning as well, otherwise the fuel return will re-contaminate the tank. Make sure the bug treatment that you are using is a biocide and not a water remover.

When I worked Offshore we use to have our hydraulic oil tanks cleaned out and the oil polished. They would spend all day cleaning a tank, not just a couple of hours, first emptying all the oil and then lots of flushing , sampling. before putting back the cleaned oil.

I wonder / suspect / wouldn't be surprised -

if water is getting into your fuel tank from 'the environment' and not necessarily from dodgy fuel??

The obvious culprit is the fuel filler and its rubber washer.

Another source is the breather commonly fitted on the rear deck (well mine is), immediately behind the rudder bearing - an easy place for water to get in.

(I solved the issue by turning the vent inboard and rasing it a little. That was 20+ years ago and we've not suffered it since!

In addition I have a primary fuel filter and water separator which helps.

4 hours ago, Chris John said:

I wouldn't recommend this service. It's very theatrical and impressive looking but so is the price....in excess of £500. Any boatyard would do the same thing much cheaper. This thread discusses this service. 

You say you've had it filtered twice.....what was the interval between these filterings?

Edited by booke23

I successfully cleared mine by doing a shock treatment with  MARINE 16 Diesel Bug Treatment.

In one of the reviews it said it might not be cheap but it works, have to agree with that, no point saving pence if it will cost you pounds.

Mine was a long time ago, never had a further problem since then 

• Greenie 1

Just think how convenient it would be if Narrowboar builders actually built in compliance with the RCD / RCR rather that just saying they do.

ER 5.2.2 Fuel tanks -

Fuel tanks, lines and hoses shall be secured and separated or protected from any source of significant heat. The material the tanks are made of and their method of construction shall be according to their capacity and the type of fuel. All tank spaces shall be ventilated. Petrol shall be kept in tanks which do not form part of the hull and are:

(a) insulated from the engine compartment and from all other source of ignition;

(b) separated from living quarters. Diesel fuel may be kept in tanks that are integral with the hull.

Harmonised standards:

BS EN ISO 10088:2013 Small craft - Permanently installed fuel systems

BS EN ISO 21487:2012 Small craft - Permanently installed petrol and diesel fuel tanks

The requirements for installation of a fuel system on a boat with fixed fuel tanks are given in the harmonised standard BS EN ISO 10088 Permanently installed fuel systems and BS EN ISO 21487:2012 Small craft - Permanently installed petrol and diesel fuel tanks.

The requirement for petrol fuel tanks to be ‘insulated from the engine and all other sources of ignition’ is deemed to be complied with if

a) the clearance between the petrol tank and the engine is greater than 100 mm and

b) all electrical parts on the engine which could create a spark, and any other electrical components in the engine/fuel compartment, are ignition protected. To ensure that these components are ignition protected the boat builder should use a petrol engine that complies with BS EN ISO 15584 Inboard petrol engines - fuel and electrical system components (the engine manufacture should provide this confirmation) and for other parts, e.g. blower fan or electric bilge pump, use only components that have been CE marked in accordance with Annex II 1. The clearance between a petrol tank and any dry exhaust components must be greater than 250 mm, unless an equivalent thermal barrier is provided. For diesel engine installations, the engines used should comply with BS EN ISO 16147

Inboard diesel engines – Engine-mounted fuel and electrical components to ensure that the fuel components fitted on the engine by the engine manufacturer are safe. The engine manufacture should provide confirmation that the engine complies with this standard.

Fuel hose used in the system must be fire resistant if used in the engine compartment and Where fuel hose is used the standard requires that only fire-resistant hose to BS EN ISO 7840 may be used in the engine compartment. Such hose should be stamped to indicate compliance

This is a requirement in  BS EN ISO 21487:2012

If there is a drain in a diesel oil tank, it shall be fitted with a shut-off valve having a plug that can be removed only with tools. Each tank shall have an inspection hatch of at least 150 mm diameter. The inspection hatch shall, as a rule, be located on top of the tank, but for diesel oil tanks it may also be on the tank side. There shall be access to the inspection hatch when the tank is in position.

• Greenie 1

I had awful trouble with mine, luckily there is an inspection lid and when I looked inside it was horrible, slime, orange rust, water and all sorts of crap. I drained it, scrubbed it and spent a couple of grim days with sponges and rags on sticks to clean it before flushing it with paraffin and drying it. In my opinion draining the bottom inch out of a tank via a drain plug or drawing some off with a pump just cannot begin to touch the crud in a tank. It has been fine for 5 or 6 years but a few months ago I noticed some water lying in the bottom, I will get this out with some sort of pump but there is no sign of anything worse. I do not fill it for winter and I do not use additives - particularly the stuff that is supposed to remove water.

• Greenie 2

We had an issue with what was originally diagnosed as water in the fuel, engine would run for 5 mins then die.  Mechanic tried to put tube down to bottom of tank to remove any water but found crud. Long story short, large hole cut out of stern above tank, about 5/6” of crud plus some chunks of steel which seemed to be the cut outs when the tank was installed just left rusting away.

Tank was vacuumed out, cleaned & a piece of steel welded in to close the hole. Sorted. 

• Greenie 1