Calorifier and plumbing

Stu penny

Featured Posts

Hi

We have a boat that we’re living on with a calorifier in the engine bay. This feeds another water tank under our bed with an immersion heater. I think the initial idea was to use the calorifier when cruising and the immersion heater tank when moored with electric hookup. How does the calorifier get filled up with water from the main water tank without it being pumped from the tank? How would the water tank under the bed get filled up? We have to close a valve between the two tanks to use the immersion heater.

Thanks 

stuart

Something very odd here. I doubt we will be able to help much unless you can provide a pipe work diagram and perhaps some photos. A calorifier must have a pumped supply or non-pumped supply and a pump in the hot supply pipe. The last method is now very rare. Are you sure the valve is not a change over valve to switch the supply or feed from one to the other. I also wonder if what you think is a  calorifier is something else like a pressure vessel for central heating.

Sorry, not much help.

Asking the previous owner would be the easiest way to find out if you have their contact details. Got a photo of the tank that's in the engine bay? What size are the tanks? Normally there'd be one tank for your domestic hot water with or without a heating element...

I suspect the one in the engine bay was the original Calorifier without an immersion heater boss and heated water via the engine while running. The one under the bed was fitted later to use an immersion heater when on landline.  Why have 2?, can you not swap the one in the engine bay with the one under the bed? As should have a coil to to connect to the engine also. This would give you some space under the bed.

They should both be filled by your water pump/water tank, it’s a pressurised system, I suspect you only need to close the valve to stop the water in the engine bay from becoming hot so saving money. But without a diagram showing pipe work, pressure tanks and water pumps it will be guess work to say what is best to change.

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I suspect the one in the engine bay was the original Calorifier without an immersion heater boss and heated water via the engine while running. The one under the bed was fitted later to use an immersion heater when on landline.  Why have 2?, can you not swap the one in the engine bay with the one under the bed? As should have a coil to to connect to the engine also. This would give you some space under the bed.

They should both be filled by your water pump/water tank, it’s a pressurised system, I suspect you only need to close the valve to stop the water in the engine bay from becoming hot so saving money. But without a diagram showing pipe work, pressure tanks and water pumps it will be guess work to say what is best to change.

Assuming the one under the bed is a horizontal tank and the one in the engine room is a vertical tank, keep the vertical tank as they are better at keeping water warm

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Assuming the one under the bed is a horizontal tank and the one in the engine room is a vertical tank, keep the vertical tank as they are better at keeping water warm

Yes, without more info it would be hard to advise, the one in the engine bay may be vertical or horizontal on the swim, it may have a heater Boss covered in foam as some do, so could be an easy job. Without pics/diagrams it’s never easy to advise.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't assume anything at the moment until the OP can provide more information. 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't assume anything at the moment until the OP can provide more information. 

A very good option, or we could do 4 pages and find it has a watertank on the roof filled with rain water