Gas fridge flue vent kits

Kalapattar

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Ok thanks! Mine has a convenient metal spiral in the flue! Very handy for cleaning!

Actually it is not, it can leave a coating of soot on the flue. The fridges always used to come (1960s) with a special long handled wire brush for cleaning the flue. I have made one by folding over some welding rod to trap some wires pulled for a wire brush and soldering/silver soldering them in place. Then trim the bristles to length.

The metal spiral is important.  It is there to slow the flue gas down and improve the heat transfer to the fluid in the fridge.  It works best if it, and the inside of the flue,  is clean and if it gets dirty can overdo the gas slowing, leading to poor burning, CO production and even worse  cooling than usual.  Leaving it out is not a good idea either, but only because it makes the fridge even less efficient.

Give the spiral a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad when you do the service, or if the fridge is slow to cool down.

N

40 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Ok thanks! Mine has a convenient metal spiral in the flue! Very handy for cleaning!

The dangly metal thing is there, I think, to swirl the heat about. What you get is spiders webs round the gas jet which reduces the airflow  and rust and dust and the odd dead fly down the tube clogging up the burner.

I have to dismantle half the kitchen units to get mine out so only clean it every couple of years, but it does need it periodically. Just cleaning the dangler isn't enough.

ETA I have in emergencies shoved a tube down the tube and blown down it to clear stuff off it.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

26 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The metal spiral is important.  It is there to slow the flue gas down and improve the heat transfer to the fluid in the fridge. 

They have a name! They are called "turbulators", and they are fitted to a number of gas and oil boilers. 

31 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

The exhaust is connected to fittings that go to the outside of boat! I can send you a photo if you like?

I think a typo - he meant gas HOB and I will add oven. I have yet to see an exhaust on a cooker, although I suppose a cooker hood might count when the fan is running, but how many of those are in boats. I also suspect you breathe out more CO per hour than a gas fridge does.

7 hours ago, Kalapattar said:

Both toxic gases is all I need to know

No it isn't.  You also need to know that very low concentrations of CO can kill you and much higher concentrations of CO2 can kill you.  CO2 is NOT toxic.

Wiki:

CO2 is an asphyxiant gas and not classified as toxic or harmful in accordance with Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals standards of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe by using the OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals. In concentrations up to 1% (10,000 ppm), it will make some people feel drowsy and give the lungs a stuffy feeling.[140] Concentrations of 7% to 10% (70,000 to 100,000 ppm) may cause suffocation, even in the presence of sufficient oxygen, manifesting as dizziness, headache, visual and hearing dysfunction, and unconsciousness within a few minutes to an hour.[

CO: Concentrations as low as 667 ppm may cause up to 50% of the body's hemoglobin to convert to carboxyhemoglobin.[98] A level of 50% carboxyhemoglobin may result in seizure, coma, and fatality.[

Edited by system 4-50
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

No it isn't.  You also need to know that very low concentrations of CO can kill you and much higher concentrations of CO2 can kill you.  CO2 is NOT toxic.

Wiki:

CO2 is an asphyxiant gas and not classified as toxic or harmful in accordance with Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals standards of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe by using the OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals. In concentrations up to 1% (10,000 ppm), it will make some people feel drowsy and give the lungs a stuffy feeling.[140] Concentrations of 7% to 10% (70,000 to 100,000 ppm) may cause suffocation, even in the presence of sufficient oxygen, manifesting as dizziness, headache, visual and hearing dysfunction, and unconsciousness within a few minutes to an hour.[

CO: Concentrations as low as 667 ppm may cause up to 50% of the body's hemoglobin to convert to carboxyhemoglobin.[98] A level of 50% carboxyhemoglobin may result in seizure, coma, and fatality.[

Ok, thanks for your info! I have a carbon monoxide monitor and it’s never gone off, so I see your point!