What's the latest possible date to get off the K & A?

Bob12348

Featured Posts

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I have a bit of a silly question. 

I've just got on the K & A and I have to stay on here until mid October. In 2021 the River Kennet through Reading was on red boards from December 2020 until April 2021, albeit was a very wet spring. I just want to know from peoples past experiences, when I should get off before its too late, I know it can vary, due to rain full. But if anyone knows which month every year it went on red boards? 

When the Kennet is on red boards, the Thames is likely to be too.

And as the vast majority of the K&A is actually canal not river, you're better off spending the 'red board' times on the canalised bits rather than moving onto the Thames.

2 minutes ago, Bob12348 said:

I know I've been on the thames on red boards, don't ask why 🤣 but I was planning on getting down to the Basingstoke.

Well the one thing you might find helpful is the Kennet gets fast just a few days of heavy rain, whereas the Thames takes a couple of weeks to respond. 

So, keep a close eye on the weather. No-one knows when in a given year, the rains will come. 

9 minutes ago, Bob12348 said:

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I have a bit of a silly question. 

I've just got on the K & A and I have to stay on here until mid October. In 2021 the River Kennet through Reading was on red boards from December 2020 until April 2021, albeit was a very wet spring. I just want to know from peoples past experiences, when I should get off before its too late, I know it can vary, due to rain full. But if anyone knows which month every year it went on red boards? 

Very hard to say. This past winter it didn't go red very much and when it did it was only for a few days. It's totally down to rainfall and as you know that's just not forecastable a long time in advance.  

13 minutes ago, Bob12348 said:

I know I've been on the thames on red boards, don't ask why 🤣 but I was planning on getting down to the Basingstoke.

Off-topic but possibly a heads-up (if you don't know). Check the licensing costs & availability for your visit PLUS the availability of moorings for the period of your visit with both the Basingstoke Canal Authority and the River Wey, National Trust. I think both only offer short term licensing (15 days?) for visiting boats and long term moorings are likely to be difficult to find. That late in the year the Basingstoke could have run out of water unless there has been plenty of rain. They have a very limited water supply and I dread to think what its levels are like now.

11 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Very hard to say. This past winter it didn't go red very much and when it did it was only for a few days. It's totally down to rainfall and as you know that's just not forecastable a long time in advance.  

Thank you for the very good points, I'll just have to take my chances, I think after all this time with no rain, we're probably get a lot this winter.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Off-topic but possibly a heads-up (if you don't know). Check the licensing costs & availability for your visit PLUS the availability of moorings for the period of your visit with both the Basingstoke Canal Authority and the River Wey, National Trust. I think both only offer short term licensing (15 days?) for visiting boats and long term moorings are likely to be difficult to find. That late in the year the Basingstoke could have run out of water unless there has been plenty of rain. They have a very limited water supply and I dread to think what its levels are like now.

I know I was supposed to go there now, but it's been heavily restricted, due to low water levels, so I thought if I go there in the winter it'll be fine, I believe I saw you could get 30 days licence for £109? I continuous cruise in the winter, so I don't need a long term mooring.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I thought that the only long term moorings on Basi are the very few houseboats which have long standing rights. But perhaps I read a guide book wrongly . . . 

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought that the only long term moorings on Basi are the very few houseboats which have long standing rights. But perhaps I read a guide book wrongly . . . 

So did I, but there seems to be some permanent moorings (not live-aboard I think) by the Canal Centrer.

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I've an idea there are a few EOG moorings too. But I might be confusing with the Wey Navigation.

13 minutes ago, Bob12348 said:

Thank you for the very good points, I'll just have to take my chances, I think after all this time with no rain, we're probably get a lot this winter.

I know I was supposed to go there now, but it's been heavily restricted, due to low water levels, so I thought if I go there in the winter it'll be fine, I believe I saw you could get 30 days licence for £109? I continuous cruise in the winter, so I don't need a long term mooring.

Fair enough, but are you aware that the lock flights on the Basingstoke have to be booked for certain times and only operate on given days. That may make CCing difficult. Best talk to the canal centre about what you what to do, they are now very helpful.

I think mooring on the Wey is limited to 48 hours in any one spot so that makes CCing CaRT wise difficult and it is a river for much of its length. Again I think talk to the NT office a bout your plans.

Neither navigation is very long so limited mooring times tends to make visits to them a fairly quick affair, You might find yourself back on the Thames when it is in flood. Personally if I could stay on the K&A  would do that  and move to the Wey and Basingstoke when theThames drops in the spring.

41 minutes ago, Bob12348 said:

You can't CC on the Wey. Maximum visitor licence is 21 days, and you can't return within 21 days.

Maximum stay on the Basingstoke is 28 days.

Edited by David Mack

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You can't CC on the Wey. Maximum visitor licence is 21 days, and you can't return within 21 days.

Maximum stay on the Basingstoke is 28 days.

Which would tend to put the OP back on the Thames when it is very likely to be in flood. That is even if he did 21 days on the Wey, 28 on the Basy and another 21 days on the Wey.