Battersea Power Station Control Room

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

And there was me from your thread title, expecting a thread about Nick Norman's Hudson....

Or Ian D's all electric boat that is currently being built... 🤣

Mind you back in the 90's Stoke on Trent Boatbuilding built "Turn O' The World", based on a Bridgewater Inspection bost, which was fitted out in art deco style.

A lovely and unusual narrowboat.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Or Ian D's all electric boat that is currently being built... 🤣

Mind you back in the 90's Stoke on Trent Boatbuilding built "Turn O' The World", based on a Bridgewater Inspection bost, which was fitted out in art deco style.

A lovely and unusual narrowboat.

Think it was Roger Fuller of Five Towns Boat Builders who built the hull and then Stowe Hill did the fit out and took it to shows as an example of their work

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Think it was Roger Fuller of Five Towns Boat Builders who built the hull and then Stowe Hill did the fit out and took it to shows as an example of their work

Yes, I think you are correct. The owner proudly showed me round it and all I remember him saying it was built in Stoke.

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, I think you are correct. The owner proudly showed me round it and all I remember him saying it was built in Stoke.

There was also an article about it in waterways world or canalboat. If you look at the steering wheel it has cast into it "five towns boat builders" which made it even funnier when Stowe hill were saying that they built it. 

Mind you in this modern world boat fitters call themselves boat builders all the time

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Under the RCD/ RCR, if they buy in a shell from elsewhere and then fit it out, they are legally the boatbuilder.

Well then the RCD / RCR is super harry one tier. They may legally be the boatbuilder but they are not boatbuilders

On 01/07/2022 at 08:14, cuthound said:

For those of us who find this kind of thing interesting.

I love the fact that the art deco theme of Battersea Power Station was carried through to the functional bits.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/battersea-power-stations-restored-control-room-revealed-55690/

This has gone off topic very quickly hasn't it :)

I agree with you that control room is beautiful in a very industrial way, I got invited into a pumping station on one of the big South London reservoirs once and it had a similar vibe and all still in use