Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

I’ve given up after finding a few places,

I need better maps

Cov Canal of course,

at Salford Junction two aqueducts as it passes under the Grand Union and the Birmingham & Fazeley, 

Tame Valley Canal: Goldshill Aqueduct by Tame Valley Jn,

Walsall canal:James Bridge/Tame Aqueduct, and I think the bottom of Ryders Green flight in the trolley pound

New Main Line: between Dudley Port Jn and Albion Jn, I think at Moors Aqueduct,

Gower Branch Aqueduct 1 ……this where I give up

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

On 13/02/2024 at 14:26, Heartland said:

Staying with the Coventry Canal

Where and what is this location

672120.jpg

Still no one got any ideas on this one, I've been looking over RAF aerial photos along the Coventry canal and haven't found it yet?

Then there was the Danks Branch. The Southern Tame passed under the Walsall Canal at the bottom of Ryders Green Locks and then under the Danks Branch where I gather it is in a culvert or tunnel and then Goldshill. The headwaters of the Southern Tame provided a supply to Titford Reservoir.

A few more for the list

The Southern Tame passed under the Gower Branch and the Sheepwash Embankment near Dunkirk Mill.

Then there was a little known Aqueduct on the basin that joined with the Haines Branch which served Denbigh Hall Colliery  which is seen on the Tipton Tithe Survey.

213129.jpg

Further north the Tame passed under the Haines Branch at Sheepwash Aqueduct and then another basin branch to a coal pit near Great Bridge.

213130.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

thought I’d look for what was the entrance to the Dixon’s Canal and have a ramble to see what there is to see or if there’s owt to see,

Some time in the 70s I walked what was left of the Dixons Branch. There was little to see at the junction and the first half mile was infilled. But beyond that it was all still in water and looked boatable. I guess it's all gone now.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Some time in the 70s I walked what was left of the Dixons Branch. There was little to see at the junction and the first half mile was infilled. But beyond that it was all still in water and looked boatable. I guess it's all gone now.

I don’t expect to see much, it’s more about getting a better sense of my bearings,

a lot can be learnt from just dropping in the local pub and having a chat about the area,

maybe some old photos on the wall, never know,

Posted (edited)

Well in short Sanitary Key might become SANKEY and I am surprised that former trips up the Bradley Arm on 24 hour challenges did not recognise this structure which was part of the Sankey Works.

213646.jpg

The Glasshouse here operated at an early time and was contemporary with the the early Birmingham Canal. and before. I did suggest in a Blackcountryman article that the glass made might have been used in the Bilston enamel industry. The enamels used rectangular shapes made from copper which was decorated with the enamel. At that time there was a water powered Bilston Mill and the copper it is suggested came up the Severn and was transported to Bilston by road.

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

I’m wondering if this is somewhere down at Digbeth?

I’m sure the metro will run very close by. But can’t make it fit. 

I was thinking Bradley Arm for the previous photo but couldn’t make that fit either. 

meantime for fun, where’s this and is it the smallest aqueduct?

IMG_7047.jpeg.dd5522371e45a3ad765d47ee70cb508f.jpeg

3 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I was thinking Bradley Arm for the previous photo but couldn’t make that fit either. 

One I know the canal and general area, I even have a photo of it

• Greenie 1

On 03/03/2024 at 13:07, Heartland said:

This is a site now surrounded by fences and not far from a Metro Stop

29 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Can imagine it being Typhoo, but surely too obvious.

I wondered if it was the Leabrook interchange basin near Wednesbury Parkway where the pylon is, now fenced off and sold recently as development land. Can't match the big open basin to maps/photos so probably not, nor anything I can find on the Monway Branch the other side.

Edited by Francis Herne

47 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Not a very good photo as its from my blog 

image.png.d6a4c0d89ea00b19101a00f653e36477.png

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

whats coming across the aqueduct is water from a small brook which I’ve forgotten the name of and can’t find again, it’s obviously a feeder to the canal, but where the water from the canal is spilling over to I don’t know but I think it goes into another brook 🤷‍♀️

42 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

Can imagine it being Typhoo, but surely too obvious.

I wondered if it was the Leabrook interchange basin near Wednesbury Parkway where the pylon is, now fenced off and sold recently as development land. Can't match the big open basin to maps/photos so probably not, nor anything I can find on the Monway Branch the other side.

Hockley Port??

Posted (edited)

As to my question some interesting suggestions for a canal that was filled into make a car park and where a TV Studio existed for a while.

Most pictures of that location feature the Birmingham Canal Navigation offices and coal boats, but this was a later image with Bridge Street on the right. It is of the Paradise Street Basin.

I believe the Curzon Hall, as it was, and later a cinema is seen beyond the basin.

The Metro stop is called the Library and the Hyatt Hotel is nearby 

Edited by Heartland
  • Happy 1

On 04/03/2024 at 21:23, ditchcrawler said:

I'm going to hazard a guess at North Kilworth between the main road bridge and Husbands Bosworth tunnel. 

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

I'm going to hazard a guess at North Kilworth between the main road bridge and Husbands Bosworth tunnel. 

you missed my clue,

about how I’d like to ‘Anchor’ a model boat on the aqueduct,

(and I’d expect you to Fly along this canal!)

I wonder if Beer to the power of foive will provide a map for those who do not know the answer to his question, I wonder if the canal will prove to be of titanic proportions to the aqueduct,

As to yet another challenge here was a canal shortening suggested by John Rennie Senior, but not completed after his death. Here you might need an Allen Key .

623949.jpg

13 minutes ago, Heartland said:

wonder if Beer to the power of foive will provide a map for those who do not know the answer to his question, I wonder if the canal will prove to be of titanic proportions to the aqueduct

‘Titanic’, another clue to the destination of this canal maybe?

here it is;

below the Anchor Inn at High Offley,

on the Shroppie

IMG_0328.jpeg.8882bdab5b4ca1890862daaea52c173d.jpeg